Another tyre recommendation needed

the_spooks
the_spooks Posts: 190
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
using a mountain bike to commute with nobblies is getting old, the SCR and all that lol. On top of that my C2C is approaching fast and finding out my colleagues will be using racers and hybrids I really need a low resistance tyre that can handle some rough stuff to keep up with them.
Currently have 26 x 2.3 continental tyres fitted and fancy going down to 1.7 or so ( I like em chunky) my commute is 22 miles ish over rough canal tow paths and roads in Edinburgh and I'm sure you all know what the C2C path is like(I dont!)
Anyone recommend tyres for me?

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    edited July 2011
    Choose one from the Schwalbe Marathon range - there are a number of tread types and sizes as well as folding and wire bead.

See http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires for descriptive info on each model.

More aggressive tread = considerably more drag on the road. If you have the time and the inclination then dropping pressures can help a smoother tyre grip a little better on rough stuff (though not mud), then you can put some air back in when you hit the tarmac.

You might like to browse/search http://c2c.freeforums.org/ for existing posts on the subject.

Edit: Schwalbe Land Cruiser is apparently popular with 3peaks CX racers, including multiple winner Rob Jebb.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • I used these a couple of months ago for the C2C and didn't get any punctures...

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=specialized+ ... 80&bih=883
  • the_spooks
    Thanks for the replies guys
    @phillipjohnson, unfortunately those don't come in 26 inch flavour.
    @simon Been looking at the shwalbe tyres but the options are confusing, still very new to this.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys
    @phillipjohnson, unfortunately those don't come in 26 inch flavour.
    @simon Been looking at the shwalbe tyres but the options are confusing, still very new to this.
    I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them, they're all good. The info on Schwalbe's website should give an idea of each tyre's balance of qualities. The premium tyres aren't cheap so if you're on a budget you can narrow it down to the wire bead models. If that's the case I'd choose between the standard Marathon and Land Cruiser based on how smooth/knobbly you want your tread.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • the_spooks
    Well borrowed a set of continental touring plus tyres to try em out and as much as they roll far far better on Tarmac they are bloody scary on loose as I found out on my wee 50 trip today.
    Unsure if the others would fair better than these , I shall no doubt find out.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Land Cruiser ?
    I'd expect (47-559) Marathon Cross be a better tyre in every way - if you're looking for that kind of tyre.
    Spa cycles usually do them at a reasonable price.
    40-622 works for us on mud, snow, & ice, & grippy on road. Works over a wide pressure range. I'd expect 30psi to work on wide MTB rims.