Not enough River Crossing east of london and the annoying DL

team south east
team south east Posts: 19
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Hi People. I am becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of river crossing linking east london to south east london. I was really annoyed the other night when I got to the Greenwich foot tunnel and found it shuts at 9pm till further notice. :twisted: I then tried to sneak onto the DLR and they told me i'm not allowed on with my bike and only fold up bikes are allowed. It is really annoying because all I wanted to do was get to the other side of the river and I have no idea why they wont allow this. In the end I had to cycle all the way to Rotherhithe Tunnel and ride through all the smog. When is Boris going to sort this out? Why cant he allow us to use the DLR to cross the River when then foot tunnel is closed! :evil: :evil:

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    why not use the Woolwich Foot Tunnel then?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    why not use the Woolwich Foot Tunnel then?

Takes me way out from where I need to go. How far is it from the Greenwich foot tunnel?
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I thought the greenwich foot tunnel was open 24hrs?
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    The DLR doesn't allow full size bikes for, wait for it....yep, you guessed it - health & safety reasons.

Think it's because it's elevated so, in an emergency, a bike would become more of an obstacle than if it was at ground level.

Or something.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • spen666
    kieranb wrote:

Woolwich is shut- but according to Greenwich Council the foot tunnel @ Greenwich is open
    Greenwich tunnel - open with no lift access
    The Greenwich Foot Tunnel has re-opened but refurbishment work will continue into September 2011. The stairs on both sides of the river are open 24 hours daily.
    Lifts will remain closed until the end of September as works continue. The delay beyond March 2011 was caused by additional works and problems with materials used in the repairs.

Greenwich Council apologises for the inconvenience caused to foot tunnel users.

Thames Clipper services run between Masthouse Terrace Pier and Greenwich Pier (the last boat from Masthouse Pier leaves at 9.49pm). Thames Clippers is only able to carry up to ten bicycles per vessel. Ticket holders will be boarded first.

The Greenwich Foot Tunnel provides a pedestrian link between Cutty Sark Gardens and Island Gardens, Tower Hamlets.

Woolwich tunnel - closed
    Contractors working on a major renewal programme to Greenwich’s two foot tunnels have confirmed that the Woolwich tunnel is closed and will be re-opening in August 2011.

Regrettably, the additional unplanned repairs at Woolwich make it no longer possible for the lifts to be used by the public while the stairs at this tunnel are being renewed.

Pedestrians and cyclists wishing to cross the river can use the Woolwich ferry during the day. Cyclists with folding bikes, as well as pedestrians, can also use the DLR.
    Current status
    To check the current status of a foot tunnel, please call 020 8853 2988. If there are any unexpected changes to the status, we will also update the Greenwich Council Twitter feed.

Greenwich Council

Appears from this you should be able to use the stairs

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    kieranb wrote:

Woolwich is shut- but according to Greenwich Council the foot tunnel @ Greenwich is open
    Greenwich tunnel - open with no lift access
    The Greenwich Foot Tunnel has re-opened but refurbishment work will continue into September 2011. The stairs on both sides of the river are open 24 hours daily.
    Lifts will remain closed until the end of September as works continue. The delay beyond March 2011 was caused by additional works and problems with materials used in the repairs.

Greenwich Council apologises for the inconvenience caused to foot tunnel users.

Thames Clipper services run between Masthouse Terrace Pier and Greenwich Pier (the last boat from Masthouse Pier leaves at 9.49pm). Thames Clippers is only able to carry up to ten bicycles per vessel. Ticket holders will be boarded first.

The Greenwich Foot Tunnel provides a pedestrian link between Cutty Sark Gardens and Island Gardens, Tower Hamlets.

Woolwich tunnel - closed
    Contractors working on a major renewal programme to Greenwich’s two foot tunnels have confirmed that the Woolwich tunnel is closed and will be re-opening in August 2011.

Regrettably, the additional unplanned repairs at Woolwich make it no longer possible for the lifts to be used by the public while the stairs at this tunnel are being renewed.

Pedestrians and cyclists wishing to cross the river can use the Woolwich ferry during the day. Cyclists with folding bikes, as well as pedestrians, can also use the DLR.
    Current status
    To check the current status of a foot tunnel, please call 020 8853 2988. If there are any unexpected changes to the status, we will also update the Greenwich Council Twitter feed.

Greenwich Council

Appears from this you should be able to use the stairs

Nope. I went there yesterday and 2 weeks ago at around 9:10pm and they have closed the stairway until further notice. Really peeeeed off by this because there is no other alterntive but to cycle all the way to Rotherhithe tunnel which is a pin in the butt.
  • spen666
    bit bad that their website gives out wrong information

Twittering @spen_666
  • it is really annoying!! we live in Canada Water... i'm ok because i cycle to work in the City but my other half works in Canary Wharf... he can see his building from our window, if there was a tunnel or bridge near us he could just walk to work! the only way he could cycle to work would be to either brave the evil smog in Rotherhithe tunnel or go to Tower Bridge just to double back on himself the other side.

There were plans for a bridge i heard, but when all the cuts happened it got... well... cut!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah it's an utter pain. I have taken my bike on the DLR a few times though, I didn't even realise you weren't supposed to... No one stopped me. You could cycle to the ELL and take your bike on that line, which is allowed...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    it is really annoying!! we live in Canada Water... i'm ok because i cycle to work in the City but my other half works in Canary Wharf... he can see his building from our window, if there was a tunnel or bridge near us he could just walk to work! the only way he could cycle to work would be to either brave the evil smog in Rotherhithe tunnel or go to Tower Bridge just to double back on himself the other side.

There were plans for a bridge i heard, but when all the cuts happened it got... well... cut!

Ironic isn't it that most bankers behave like they are Jesus Christ, but none can aparently walk on water. :D

I don't care that most bankers are reasonable people or indeed whether your husband is a banker or not, the opportunity for the pun was too good to miss.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I read work's about to start on the cable car between Greenwich and Victoria Dock, supposedly open in time for the Olympics. Plans were for it to be able to take bikes, but I dunno if that's been confirmed yet.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Must be recent as I used greenwich foot tunnel on the 14th June, carried my bike down the stairs and up the other side to get to mud chute farm.