Sunglasses

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
Looking for some sunglasses and trying not to hopefully break the bank while in the process :wink:

Want some that are decent sun protection as i intend to use them for work while im outside in the glare of the sun so want something semi-decent, without misting up when i work hard.

good protection also quite important as will be used mainly for MTB and dont wish them to break as soon as a little stone hits them like my ye olde ones did....

Budget between 50-80 pounds though if theres a massive differance in quality and or one stands out £100.

cheers
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I would always recommend Oakley's - I think the expense is worth it. However, there will be many who disagree.

Like anything, it's best to try some on and see what suits you - some will fit better than others, so find something that's a good fit on your noggin.

I've got Half-Jacket XLJs, Tens and Inmates for various uses on/off bike. You'll be struggling to get much for £100, but there are online deals to be had (search the forum - there are several threads).
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Got some JSP safety specs from B&Q the other day smoke or clear lens £9. Frames are ultra-flexible they don't move about. They also have some DeWalt specs very Rudy Project stylee £5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bolle safety glasses on Ebay all different styles and lenses under £10.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • freeagent
    freeagent Posts: 98
    Bolle or UVEX safety specs - less than £10 from RS/Screwfix/toolstation...

at least its not a disaster if they get trashed..
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Monkeypump wrote:
    I would always recommend Oakley's - I think the expense is worth it. However, there will be many who disagree.

+1, I cant recommend my Oakley Flak Jackets XLJ highly enough. May I suggest you take a look on www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk - its where I got my Oakley glasses above.

You can have a pair of Flak Jackets for £99 on there....

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/oakley-c ... -074-p6812

For example :)
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    edited June 2011
    I use endura stingrays which at £30 are fantastic value.
    They have flexible arms so they fit any shape head without falling off.
    They come with 4 pairs of lenses (smoke, polarized, orange and clear).
    They can sit very close to the face on some people though and fog up a bit when stationary however demist once moving fairly quickly.

They also have a warranty for pretty much any damage for some years ( 2 or 3 I think).

You could probably get quite a bit better though if you spent £80 - £100 on some though.
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    Can't fault Oakleys.

Have a pair of Jawbones that came with black iridium lenses and a spare set of yellow lenses, the lenses are vented so they don't steam up as much and they came with a hard case.

Cheapest I've seen them is £140 though.

Half Jackets are good too.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Really like my Bolle Spider Flash lens sunglasses. I recently lost mine but I didn't think twice about getting another set. I like them so much that I bought a clear set as well even though I hardly wear glasses on the bike (usually goggles).
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    These are great quality, good lenses and very durable. http://www.arco.co.uk/products/3C4300/1 ... +Eyeshield
  • I bought a pair of 'Global Vision USA' Shatterproof cycling glasses from Amazon and they've served me well. Haven't misted up when I've been cycling (although they do a bit at the top if you're sweaty and stop but clear up when you move off) they're a decent fit and they have five different coloured lenses. I dare say they're not as good as some more expensive brands but I have a nasty habit of sitting on my sun glasses...
    Beware the Judderman my dear, when the moon is fat. Sharp of tongue and spindle limbed he is, and cunning.
  • I have used B&Q ones before as well as my old squash ones but they arent really suited to cycling tbh sadly so i not going down that road.

So far i been looking at these, but are there any others that have had rave reviews recently or must consider?

Oakley Eyewear - Half Jacket XLJ
    Oakley Flak Jacket Glasses
    Rudy Project Rydon Glasses (the other type ImpactX +£40 though..)
    Endura Stingray Glasses Set
  • skaffen
    skaffen Posts: 72
    So far i been looking at these, but are there any others that have had rave reviews recently or must consider?

I've got a pair of Oakley Radars and they're great, very comfortable and haven't managed to scratch the lenses so they're pretty tough. There are different versions of the lenses both in size/shape and in terms of vented and coating. I've got the Range lenses in mine at the moment, which really protect your eyes (they're pretty big) but I've got some Pitch lenses as well that are a little smaller and a bit more discrete (look a little more sensible if you want to wear them off the bike at some point!).
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    sharky1029 wrote:
    I use endura stingrays which at £30 are fantastic value.
    They have flexible arms so they fit any shape head without falling off.
    They come with 4 pairs of lenses (smoke, polarized, orange and clear).
    They can sit very close to the face on some people though and fog up a bit when stationary however demist once moving fairly quickly.

They also have a warranty for pretty much any damage for some years ( 2 or 3 I think).

You could probably get quite a bit better though if you spent £80 - £100 on some though.

I've got the piranhas, they sit a bit close to my face near the top of the nose, but other than that are good. The photochromagicy stuff has a pretty good range between dark enough for the sun and light enough in the woods imho
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • snowden_88
    snowden_88 Posts: 174
    Oakleys are awesomely clear but I recently brought a pair of £4 Aldi ones with 3 lenses and they work just as well.

Oakley use jazzed up words to explain there materials like Unobtanium, Iridium and Plutonite which are effectively just plastics. Mostly paying for the name though. If money was no object then I would go Oakleys everyday!

I just cant justify £100+ for something that spends more time under my fat ar$e than on my head.
    "it's like a gift, you know? It's like I can't control it"
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Oakleys all the way.
    Half Jackets have been discontinued so if you look around you can get them for 70-80 quid, don't pay more
    Nicolai CC
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    for riding or work aldi or bolle

for posing http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=53088

(but only paid £30)
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    skaffen wrote:

I've got a pair of Oakley Radars and they're great, very comfortable and haven't managed to scratch the lenses so they're pretty tough. There are different versions of the lenses both in size/shape and in terms of vented and coating. I've got the Range lenses in mine at the moment, which really protect your eyes (they're pretty big) but I've got some Pitch lenses as well that are a little smaller and a bit more discrete (look a little more sensible if you want to wear them off the bike at some point!).

+1 here

my radars were expensive but the quality and resilience of them makes them worth it in my book.

I might go for flak jackets if I was buying now but they're even pricier and they don't have the ability to take different lens shapes like the radar (I use pitch lenses in mine, you can get range which are bigger and path which are smaller)
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Got a question on lenses...there are so many different types it going to drive me up the wall..:shock:

A lot of the glasses come with only 1 lense so i want to make sure i buy one with the lense i going to use the most .

When i ride normal british weather/though woods ect, what lense should i go for? Would the black iridium lens be too darkened?

Just want to make sure i pick the correct glasses with correct lenses no point having
  • i have just purchased these off ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-Tracker ... =RTM742988

look pretty decent and cant complain about the price
  • t0pc4t
    I think mine are G40s which are dark enough for UK summer but not so dark that you lose visibility in shaded sections

in winter I use clear lenses
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bolle, or Red Frog. Can't see the point in paying more.
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    cooldad wrote:
    Bolle safety glasses on Ebay all different styles and lenses under £10.

+1, bought a pair of clear lenses ones and so far they have been brilliant, they don't mist at all, when all my other glasses (some are proper cycling glasses) used to mist.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    blablablacksheep, I've been told that the iridium coating on Oakleys shows marks up as scratches after a while, so you'd be best off going for non-iridium ones.
    I have to say, although I'd never thought of it before, it does make sense, as all my iridium ones looked a bit tatty after a while, but my normal monster dogs were looking fresh as a daisy, right up until I lost them.
  • t0pc4t
    the polarised ones are really awesome but the price is simply fiendish

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    t0pc4t wrote:
    simply fiendish
    What an awesome way to describe it! I'm going to nick that as my new favourite adjective :lol:
  • t0pc4t wrote:
    the polarised ones are really awesome but the price is simply fiendish

tbh their asking price like you said it taking the mick a bit.

I going to try the ones i listed out hopefully once im off work and see how they fit then depending on that i got to decide which lense choice to go for.

If not iridium coating Oakleys what other lense would be a good option for Oakleys?

Seen these Rudy Project Rydon Glasses - Smoke Lens which look pretty decent, might try them out sinse they clear and claim to be "ideal for moderately sunny days" perfect for UK i hope......

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rud ... s-ec017682

the Oakley Half Jackets that are no longer being made does this mean getting parts for them is now going to be a issue?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Again, you are paying for a name. Absurd price.
  • Anonymous
    Polarised filters for photographic purposes cost a packet for good quality glass too, mind. Which brings it firmly into the realm of Oakley.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Monkeypump wrote:

Like anything, it's best to try some on and see what suits you - some will fit better than others, so find something that's a good fit on your noggin.

I've got Half-Jacket XLJs, Tens and Inmates for various uses on/off bike. You'll be struggling to get much for £100, but there are online deals to be had (search the forum - there are several threads).
    completely agree, I was dubious until I tried them. I have flack-jacket XLJs.