My Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon build *UPDATE JUNE *Page 10

Xgreygoose
Xgreygoose Posts: 371
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Hi guys, long time…

As some of you may know I had a bike project this year (Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1) that I was very much looking forward to having. Unfortunately due to long delays and wrong size, I had to cancel the order. I waited way toooo long for this AM bike…..”Dam you Cannondale!!” …………..I guess it was never meant to be.

I had afew other choices on what I wanted to build but in the end I went for a SC Nomad carbon because I got a chance to ride this bike for 3weeks during my road trip in Utah couple of months ago. I immediately fell in love with it (kind of glad that I didn’t get the Jekyll). Though it was a 1x10 and 180mm travel, I still knew that this was going to be my AM bike. 8)
Still wanting a light, strong and stiff AM bike (like the Jekyll). I chose a 150mm fork. I didn’t want to waste my front hub as it only can go to a QR15mm. Also the kind riding I plan to do should be enough. I know on the back of my mind if I wanted more aggressive bigger travel AM bike I could easily change the rear and front shock. Another reason why the SC Nomad was the perfect choice.

Anyway here is spec sheet and detail photo's of the components. I’m just waiting on the stem and some small bits. But for sure this will be done by the weekend :D

It's now finished Page 3 and 6 for more pic's
:)
Poster.jpg
DSC03108.jpg

DSC02977.jpg

Frame: SANTA CRUZ NOMAD CARBON medium frame
Forks:2012 Fox 32 Talas RLC FIT, 150mm, 15QR thru axle, 1.5" tapered aluminum steerer
Rear Shock: 2012 FOX FLOAT RP23 (Will be replacing the 2011 that came with the bike)
Bars: Edge Riser 700mm or Enve Sweep 700mm both 31.8mm clamp
Stem: Point One Racing Split second 70mm with Ti gold bolts
Headset: Chris King 1.5 NoThreadSet Model 5
Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-On grips or Crank Brothers Cobalt Grips

Front Brake Lever assy: Formula The One w/Carbon lever
Front Caliper: : Formula The One with Swiss Stop Brake pads
Front disc: Formula 2pcs Floating Rotor 180mm Black with 3 Ti Bolts/ 3 Carbon-Ti Gold Alloy bolts
Rear Brake Lever assy: Formula The One w/Carbon lever
Rear Caliper: Formula The One with Swiss Stop Brake pads
Rear Disc: Formula 2pcs Floating Rotor 180mm Black with 3 Ti Bolts/ 3 Carbon-Ti Gold Alloy bolts
Hoses: Formula

Shifters: : Shimano XTR Shifters 10sp M980 with Shimano Yumeya Ti-Gold bolts
Cable Housing: Alligator Mini i-LINK or Jagwire (Carbon Silver)
Cables: Power Corz
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR Front Derailleur M986 with Shimano Yumeya gold bolts
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur 10 Speed M980GS with Shimano Yumeya Ti-Gold bolts and Extralite Pulleys

Seat Fizik Gobi XM carbon rails with a Fizik Muzzle Rubber guard
Seat Post: RockShox Reverb height adjustable 31.6 mm 380mm
Seat Post Clamp: Tune QR 34.6mm or Extralite 34.6mm

Crank: Shimano XTR trail crankset M980 10 Speed (38-26t)
Chainring(s): Shimano XTR (38-26t)
Chain: KMC X10 SL Gold 10 Speed Chain
Cassette: SRAM XX 11-36t 10speed with PRC lockring
Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy 11 and Point One Racing Podium
Bottom Bracket: XTR M980 crankset Bottom Bracket/bearings
Front Wheel: Tune Princess 20th Anniversary hub with 15mmQR thru axle conversion kit and 32h AM 26" Enve Clincher rims and Sapim CX Ray spokes.
Rear Wheel: Tune Prince 20th Anniversary hub with a full Titanium free hub with 32h AM 26" Enve Clincher rims, Sapim CX Ray spokes.
Tire: Continental Mountain King Supersonic 2.4 and/or Continental X Race King 26 x 2.2 Sport and/or Continental Race King Supersonic 26 x 2.2
Tubes: Eclipse Light Tube and/or Continental Inner tube

Other bits: MRP XCG 05 Double Bash Guard 40t

THE FRAME

DSC02954.jpgDSC02964.jpgDSC02965.jpgDSC02969.jpgDSC02974.jpg

Fork and Rear Shock
2012 Fox 32 Talas RLC FIT, 150mm, 15QR thru axle, 1.5" tapered aluminum steerer
DSC02861.jpgDSC02862.jpgDSC02866.jpgDSC02859.jpg
2012 FOX FLOAT RP23
DSC02837.jpg

THE DRIVE TRAIN

Shimano XTR trail crankset M980 10 Speed (38-26t)
DSC02842.jpgDSC02839.jpgDSC02838.jpg
XTR Rear Derailleur 10 Speed M980GS with Shimano Yumeya Ti-Gold bolts and Extralite PulleysDSC02857.jpg
XTR Front Derailleur M986 with Shimano Yumeya gold boltsDSC02851.jpg
XTR Shifters 10sp M980 with Shimano Yumeya Ti-Gold boltsDSC02903.jpg
Power Corz now in colour DSC02913.jpg
SRAM XX 11-36t 10speed with PRC lockringDSC02883.jpg
KMC X10 SL Gold 10 Speed Chain (Un-cut 118links)DSC02891.jpg
Original XTR bearings
DSC02858.jpg
Extralite pulleys
DSC02192.jpg
MRP XCG 05 Double Bash Guard 40t24846.jpg
Point One Racing Podiumpoint-one-racing-podium-pedal_productImages_9105-1-14742_372_247_True.jpg
CB Candy 11
DSC02230.jpg

THE BRAKE SYSTEM
Formula The One with Sintered PadsDSC02843.jpgDSC02844.jpgDSC02846.jpg
Formaul 2pcs Floating rotor 180mm and 1pcs Formula Rotor 180mmDSC02915.jpgDSC02353.jpgDSC02352.jpg
PM mount with gold Ti-BoltsDSC02909.jpg
PM mount with gold Ti-BoltsDSC02908.jpg

Seat and Post

Fizik Gobi XM carbon rails
DSC02929.jpg
Fizik Muzzle Rubber guard
DSC02933.jpg
DSC02934.jpgDSC02938.jpg
RockShox Reverb height adjustable 31.6 mm 380mm 525grams DSC02847.jpg
Santa Cruz 34.9mm seat clamp
DSC02976.jpg
Tune 34.9mm seat clamp
DSC02188.jpg

HANDLE BAR AREA

Enve Sweep 700mm and Edge Riser 700mm
DSC02174.jpgDSC02175.jpgDSC02247.jpgDSC02248.jpg
ODI Ruffian Lock-On grips DSC02873.jpg
Crank Brothers Cobalt Grips DSC02875.jpg
Point One Racing Split second 70mm with Ti gold boltspoint_1_split_second_am_stem1s.jpg
Point One racing Spacers 30mm DSC02886.jpg
Point One racing Spacers 20mmDSC02884.jpg
Point One racing Spacers 10mmDSC02889.jpg

THE WHEELSET

DSC02093.jpgDSC02058.jpg
Special Tune logo to celebrate 20 years of Tune
DSC02074.jpg

With a full Titanium free hub
DSC02078.jpg

Tune Princess front hub with 15mmQR thru axle conversion kit
DSC02063.jpg
Waiting on my custom Enve decals/stickerscreenshot_18.jpg

Not the lightest but pretty good for an AM set.
DSC02068.jpgDSC02070.jpg
Tune DC15
DSC02872.jpg
Shimano /Fox QR15mm DSC02871.jpg
Hope Rear Skewer
DSC02897.jpg

Tubes and Tires
DSC02919.jpg
Eclipse Light Tube DSC02920.jpg Light tubesDSC02923.jpgDSC02921.jpg
DSC02924.jpgDSC02925.jpgDSC02927.jpgDSC02926.jpg
Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
Cannondale Hooligan 9
Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009

Comments

• getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH! :shock: I likey :D
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    this is going to be so nice!

i'm glad you went for the nomad carbon in the end. much nicer frame
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    get that thing built now!!!! :shock: damn thats gonna look good 8) better than that crappy jekyll could ever wish to be :wink:
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    All that lush kit and you stick a hokey Hope Skewer on it? Lol.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Sorry - that sounded harsh. Nice bike otherwise, very jealous.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Xgreygoose
    OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH! :shock: I likey :D
    I likey alot tooooooo :D
    jay12 wrote:
    this is going to be so nice!
    i'm glad you went for the nomad carbon in the end. much nicer frame
    Me too, looking forward to it very much.
    benpinnick wrote:
    All that lush kit and you stick a hokey Hope Skewer on it? Lol.
    It was matching colour scheme thing plus its pretty strong(and heavy :wink: ). I thought about putting on my Tune DC17 skewer but might not be strong enough. Thought about maybe DT Swiss Titanium , you know the one with the Racket lock, but a friend of mine broken the big plastic lever on it.....Any other suggestion?

lawman wrote:
    get that thing built now!!!! :shock: damn thats gonna look good 8) better than that crappy jekyll could ever wish to be :wink:
    Hey lawman, whatssupp? Did you use the decals/sticker? How's the Mojo? Its ashamed about the Jekyll but I'm pretty stoked about the Nomad. Have such a great time on it in the US. Amazing bike 8)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    This build is going to be amazing John, im looking forward to seeing it progress.. Santa Cruz are on a role right now, their quality, geometry and ride is as good as it gets.

As you know, i'm a big Cannondale fan just like you, but i would rather have a Nomad C then the Jekyll (the unnecessarily complex Fox DYAD Pull shock puts me right off).
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    mr goose, great to have you back :D
    been missing you and your weighing scales :lol:
    its a shame about cannondale, 2011 have been abit of a joke, they must have lost millions in lost sales worldwide. massive waiting times and bikes that never materialise on time as promised. i think they have given up on 2011 since they are already promoting 2012 bikes even before 2011 bike orders are fullfilled.
    look forward to seeing your new toy completed
  • benpinnick
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    It was matching colour scheme thing plus its pretty strong(and heavy :wink: ). I thought about putting on my Tune DC17 skewer but might not be strong enough. Thought about maybe DT Swiss Titanium , you know the one with the Racket lock, but a friend of mine broken the big plastic lever on it.....Any other suggestion?

personally I would go XTR. lighter than hope, stronger than Tune (and probably hope too), works better than both.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Done yet?

Going to look the dogs
  • Time.to.ride
    Time.to.ride Posts: 463
    Mate i gotta say you got a LOT LOT LOT of money to afford ths set up it is very plush with items i have never seen like the seat guard that is a lovely idea to protect an expensive saddle. I am very jealous bud in all honesty.

I thought my P7 was going to look plush when im finished and it will do but, not in same league as yours.
    look forward to seeing full pics

Ride hard Ride fast

Ps What about Tolken for the QR theyare light and also the idea that you can totally take the lever out and it remains secure is a fab idea.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Got it together yet? want a completed pic.

I have to admit i would not have picked up the 150 32's for the front, I'd ahve sacrificed and gone 36, 32 fox's are made of cheese and just always feel like there bending to me.

Like the spec :) though i would have been tempted with so more agro cranks and so on, (I dont like xtr mechs and so on as i have a habbit of destroying rear mechs with rocks) as the Nomad i rode was a brilliant pedaller, bit average on the downs felt it needs some beef about it.

Should be awesome build though gets some real piccies up.
  • lawman
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Hey lawman, whatssupp? Did you use the decals/sticker? How's the Mojo? Its ashamed about the Jekyll but I'm pretty stoked about the Nomad. Have such a great time on it in the US. Amazing bike 8)

howdy john, the mojo's absolutely rocking atm, still yet to get round to putting the stickers on, i only have to look at it and it begs to go for a spin :lol:

will be interested on what you have to say about the 2012 fox shock, my 2011 shock seems to match up superbly to the dw link, so i imagine it shall work stupidly well on a vpp bike
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Very nice, are you not tempted to put a 160mm 36 on the front of it though rather than a 150mm fork?

Just seen the bit in the first post about why you have gone for the 150mm fork.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    *sniffs*

What's that smell?

Smells like .......is it?. ............I think it could be. ............yes, I think it may just be .....................bike of the year!!!!

Ditch that PoS hope skewer first though. I have no doubt whatsoever that you can find something better.
  • lawman
    *sniffs*

What's that smell?

Smells like .......is it?. ............I think it could be. ............yes, I think it may just be .....................bike of the year!!!!

Ditch that PoS hope skewer first though. I have no doubt whatsoever that you can find something better.

you mean my mojo's out of the running :shock: :cry:

tbf though this is gonna be far far nicer than my mojo, no complaints about that :lol:
  • Xgreygoose
    chick0 wrote:
    This build is going to be amazing John, im looking forward to seeing it progress.. Santa Cruz are on a role right now, their quality, geometry and ride is as good as it gets. As you know, i'm a big Cannondale fan just like you, but i would rather have a Nomad C then the Jekyll (the unnecessarily complex Fox DYAD Pull shock puts me right off).
    Hi chick0, I haven't seen you much on the forums.....
    I couldn't put it better myself. Santa Cruz do make great bikes....I got to almost try the whole range of them and Ibis too 8)........Nice to be able to hire top of the range bikes in the US. and try them out for the day. :D
    Me too big fan of Cannondale. Been riding them for many, many year. I wanted a AM bike and it just seem that the logic thing to go for was the Jekyll....the idea of the DYAD shock was different I personally don't think it will take off. Kind of glad they gave me the wrong size (Jekyll)....I guess it was a sign of not to buy the Jekyll. BTW did you get those rims that you wanted?
    tri-sexual wrote:
    mr goose, great to have you back :D
    been missing you and your weighing scales :lol:
    its a shame about cannondale, 2011 have been abit of a joke, they must have lost millions in lost sales worldwide. massive waiting times and bikes that never materialise on time as promised. i think they have given up on 2011 since they are already promoting 2012 bikes even before 2011 bike orders are fullfilled.
    look forward to seeing your new toy completed
    Hey tri-sexual,
    Yeah you hear the same old story. People putting down the order then give up and canceling the order. Glad I never got Jekyll Carbon 1 as the new 2012 range doesn't do the white/green anymore. Both the two top models are black/white.
    benpinnick wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    personally I would go XTR. lighter than hope, stronger than Tune (and probably hope too), works better than both.
    Thinking the same, looks solid but fairly light (I guess)...I have order one and will see how it feels and looks.
    WMB78gt_2shimxtr-399-75.jpg
    Mate i gotta say you got a LOT LOT LOT of money to afford ths set up it is very plush with items i have never seen like the seat guard that is a lovely idea to protect an expensive saddle. I am very jealous bud in all honesty.
    I thought my P7 was going to look plush when im finished and it will do but, not in same league as yours.
    look forward to seeing full pics
    Ride hard Ride fast
    Ps What about Tolken for the QR theyare light and also the idea that you can totally take the lever out and it remains secure is a fab idea.

The muzzle (seat guard) came from one of the lower Fizik Gobi models. Ask for a fav and managed to get a hold of one. Pretty neat. Token to me is more road bike but I don't know much as I've never try there products. Cheers anyway. 8)
    matthew h wrote:
    Done yet?
    Going to look the dogs
    Almost. Should be able to test it out on Monday :P
    Got it together yet? want a completed pic.

I have to admit i would not have picked up the 150 32's for the front, I'd ahve sacrificed and gone 36, 32 fox's are made of cheese and just always feel like there bending to me.
    Like the spec :) though i would have been tempted with so more agro cranks and so on, (I dont like xtr mechs and so on as i have a habbit of destroying rear mechs with rocks) as the Nomad i rode was a brilliant pedaller, bit average on the downs felt it needs some beef about it.
    Should be awesome build though gets some real piccies up.
    I really did want to go for 36 but I didn't want to waste the wheelset that I have...If I head more towards Downhill or if I feel that I need more travel, I could easily pick a 36 Talas and a set of wheels with a QR20mm front hub.
    I don't know about the older fox fork but I feel the 2012 is pretty stiff. Coming from alot of Leftys which IMO is one of the stiffest fork. I think 2012 32 Talas fox is pretty good but of course you can't compare to monster 36. BTW so what rear mechs are "Rock" proof then? :lol:
    I actually thought that a Mojo HD was a wee bit better on the climb then Nomad and Nomad was much lively downhill. I have real pic's up already just not the complete bike :lol:
    lawman wrote:
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    howdy john, the mojo's absolutely rocking atm, still yet to get round to putting the stickers on, i only have to look at it and it begs to go for a spin :lol:
    will be interested on what you have to say about the 2012 fox shock, my 2011 shock seems to match up superbly to the dw link, so i imagine it shall work stupidly well on a vpp bike
    Yeah looking forward to try out the new RP23. I did manage to try the 2012 32 talas. Feels great but its hard to compare as you know I'm into my Leftys :D.... I know alot of people say the opposite to me but it feels strange seeing two forks at the front :lol:
    Also the added bonus that this years colours match the frame!
    BTW are you interested in some green with black or grey words decals/stickers on the fox fork. I have some but it was suppose to go on the Jekyll. Let me know.
    Very nice, are you not tempted to put a 160mm 36 on the front of it though rather than a 150mm fork?
    Cheers, how's your SC Blur LTc or you riding your Giant more now?
    *sniffs*
    What's that smell?

Thanks mate and yeah you are right., need to find a better skewer :D
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    If you have 4mins to spare have alook at a cool video (mate of mine) of the kind of rides that HK has to offer. Small crash at 2.17mins.

Of course there are alot more but it just gives you a taste of it. Enjoy 8)
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/164969/
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    edited July 2011
    Almost done but want to wait till I get all my small parts before I post the complete bike...... :D

DSC02990.jpg[/b]
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    great video, sound track pretty good also :D
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Xgreygoose wrote:

Its just taken me 2 months to have the Blurs formulas fixed so at long last i can ride her. It took 2 new master cylinders to sort it out. If your master cylinders have round caps send them straight off.

Riding her the other day felt great, the easton haven carbon bars are so wide in comparison to the ritchey superlogic. But at the same time I love the feel from the giant maestro suspension
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose wrote:

Its just taken me 2 months to have the Blurs formulas fixed so at long last i can ride her. It took 2 new master cylinders to sort it out. If your master cylinders have round caps send them straight off.

What to you mean when you say "round caps"? Any pic'e you can show me? :?:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Lovely build :D , but why a 150mm fork? The Nomad is an AM beast and deserves no less than a 160!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Lovely build :D , but why a 150mm fork? The Nomad is an AM beast and deserves no less than a 160!

He said in the first post:
    The front hub is 15mm only and for the riding he does, 150mm should be plenty.
  • Deepunder
    Deepunder Posts: 145
    $$$ ! reserving judgement on all the gold until we see more complete bike pics
  • AlexJCook
    AlexJCook Posts: 108
    Looking forward to seeing this!
  • Lovely build :D , but why a 150mm fork? The Nomad is an AM beast and deserves no less than a 160!

I only look at the pictures :P Looking at the build spec not like he cant afford a new hub :lol:
  • Xgreygoose
    Lovely build :D , but why a 150mm fork? The Nomad is an AM beast and deserves no less than a 160!
    I only look at the pictures :P Looking at the build spec not like he cant afford a new hub :lol:

As CWNT said 150mm is plenty and enough for what I plan to do. For sure, I totally agree that a 36 would look so much better/aggressive looking but I just didn't want to waste my pretty hot looking 20th year Tune front hub. Plus my other 3 bikes are all Leftys and you could see that it would have been a waste. However I can see myself buying another wheelset with 20mmQR and Fox 36 Talas 160mm around winter time

Maybe the "bling bling" Easton Havens :lol:easclqu7.jpg
    Fox 36 Talas 2012_Talas_160_RLC__87482_zoom.jpg

How could I not use this.... 8) :lol:
    DSC02060.jpgDSC02089.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    Deepunder wrote:
    $$$ ! reserving judgement on all the gold until we see more complete bike pics

Talking about gold parts. I will no longer be using the Chris King 1.5 headset. It was the wrong model and the gold was too orange. Doesn't seem to match my colour scheme. I found out it was better and recommended by others to use Inset Model 5. I went for the Pewter colour. It has a pink/violet tint which should match the frame.
    ck-inset-model5.jpgking_nts_sotto_voce2.jpg

Also my Point one stem (Split second 70) arrived today but no flat pedals yet :(
    Photo taken with 2 gold ti-bolts, gold alloy ahead screw and 4 black ti bolts
    DSC02995.jpgpoint_1_split_second_am_stems.jpg

My much lighter Edge/Evne 100mm with ti-bolts and ahead cap, but I do believe the Point 1 Racing stem will be alot stronger and stiff.
    DSC02996.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    ohhh those easton havens 8) 8) 8)

and that fox fork 8) i might be getting one or the 180mm next year for my build if i can get trade price when i'm working at my lbs, but thats not certain