Best Bike Fit, Manchester Area

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
I was referred to cadence sport, but have just found out (after booking) exactly where he's based and it's 90 miles away - gutted as he seemed excellent.

So, bearing in mind my location this time (!) please could anyone recommend a really decent bike fit place in my area (NW Manchester - obviously willing to travel within reason - say 30 miles max - time is always difficult for me).

I have a feeling i might need a valgus wedge, so ideally someone who will provide that, if neccessary.

Also, dont want to be rushed and want to feel like I am getting a truly personal service.

Cheers.

Comments

• Exactly my thoughts a long way for a fit but went for it in the end. A lovely chap with invaluable knowledge. Def worth the mileage in my view. Plus he's and x pro so you can pick his brains.
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • Secteur
    Any experience here with Pedal Precision in Manchester - I think they might be based at the velodrome?
  • No haven't had any experience with pedal precision.But really rate adrian at cadence, His prices are very competitive plus you get sidas insoles in with the price
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Hewitt Cycles in Leyland, its on the limits of your radius but he does a good job. Ring him up and arrange the appointment slot.
  • Secteur
    I was completely set on Cadence, but I can only get there on a Wed PM (my half day) so getting there at 1-3pm would be fine (1hr40m drive), but then I'd be coming back up through Manchester from the South and all the way around the ringroad up to the North of Manchester at teatime, which would take nigh on 3 hours I reckon - definitely dont fancy that.
  • Garz
    Bury... thats not Manchester!

I cycled up to leyland for the 1k mile checkup service and it's a nice ride. After browsing around while waiting I couldn't resist picking up some nick-nacks. You will probably bump into Gethin Butler who's a helpful fella aswell as holding a LeJoG record.

:)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It's only 70 miles each way if you do it by bike...

Ok, maybe not an option if you need to get there by early afternoon. But if it's just rush hour traffic that's putting you off why not go for a bit of a ride around Burton whilst you're waiting for the traffic to die down?
  • agree with Garz....

Paul Hewitt in Leyland is brilliant and will sort you out perfectly!
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    agree with Garz....

Disagree with both of you; Paul Hewitt was rubbish for me and nearly ruined my riding (see another current thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6#17044106)

Good job Adrian Timmis sorted me out (and I did 120miles each way!)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Dave Lloyd has been doing bike fittings for donkeys years - he's over in the Wirral

http://www.davelloydcoaching.com/home.p ... g_Services
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    What is actually involved in a bike fit? I turn up with my bike and everything is adjusted so i get the correct riding position?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Coach H wrote:
    agree with Garz....

Disagree with both of you; Paul Hewitt was rubbish for me and nearly ruined my riding (see another current thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6#17044106)

As you will also see on the above link, I've had the diametrically opposed experience with my two fittings with Paul Hewitt. He is excellent in my eyes!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Just go to Cadence Sport, it will be well worth the trip, trust me!
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Garz
    Coach H wrote:
    agree with Garz....

I posted on this thread. Unlucky for you coach h, and after reading this tainting comment am definitely siding with a bad day to more of a case of sour grapes.

He may not be world class but slating the guy claiming he ruined your riding is poor.
  • Garz wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    agree with Garz....

I posted on this thread. Unlucky for you coach h, and after reading this tainting comment am definitely siding with a bad day to more of a case of sour grapes.

He may not be world class but slating the guy claiming he ruined your riding is poor.

Why is it poor just because he had a different experience to others?
    If the fit was wrong and it ruined his riding then he has a right to put what he believes.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    I had a fit with Pedal Precision at the Velodrome. Not cheap but I think I came out with a pretty good fit. Gave every impression of knowing what he was doing.

As it turned out wasn';t much adjustment to the bike - but cleat adjustment sorted out my knee problems. All in all, I'd recommend.
  • Garz
    Why is it poor just because he had a different experience to others?
    If the fit was wrong and it ruined his riding then he has a right to put what he believes.

It is poor due to the reasons mentioned (getting the bike to fit after he had bought elsewhere and not communicating during and after the session) did you not read squire?

It seems co-incidental that as coach h had a bad experience your expressing this negativity because you also are of the same opinion ftmm.

I can see Paul being misunderstood and have an uninterested vibe. That is his downfall, however if you lack the social capability to unlock his knowledge and get him going then perhaps you cant please everybody.