Rusty Bolts!

MrBibble
MrBibble Posts: 79
edited July 2011 in Workshop
I was checking over the bike the other night and noticed that some of the headset/stem bolts have some rust on them. I was wondering if anyone does a bolt dress-up kit to add a bit of bling to the bike? 8)

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Titanium bolts.

Don't rust, light, bling.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The bolts that secure the stem and it's faceplate seem to be the first to go rusty; I've never worked out why. Hard to clean them up since the rust is inside the hex socket.

Most people either replace them with stainless or Ti, or resort to smearing them with grease to keep them shiny.

If you look online, search for capscrews (M5 I think)
  • MrBibble
    Ok thanks 8)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    a dab of acf-50 will cean up corrosion and prevent more, only a little is needed, re-apply every year

a can will last you for many years and costs 11-12 quid if you shop around, motorbike shops often have it, otherwise plenty online

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Where can you get titanium or a decent grade of stainless steel bolts for your bike?

This type of rust is a pet hate of mine.
  • anyuser
    anyuser Posts: 51
    I have used http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/ with success.
  • MrBibble
    Had the bike in for its second service yesterday and spoke with the mechanic and he said not to use alloy bolts as they can stretch, being they will be used in a clamping situation rather than a straight forward bolting something together.

So had a rummage in the toolbox and found some nice stainless cap head m5 bolts that have done the job nicely

2011-07-02130652.jpg

2011-07-02134918.jpg

the bolts where bought of ebay as a selection pack as at the time i was rebuilding my mk2 golf