seat post clamp

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
from your personal experience what seat post clamp(34.9mm) have you found to be powerful and great at its job?

my post drops 15-20mm when im out, stops at the same point everytime, i need a good strong clamp, im looking for 34.9mm

my current one is worn, so i bought a superstar jewel and broke it :shock: they are sending me a replacement part though, it has a plastic insert which i think will wear quickly with use.

post your trusty clamp please :D

Comments

• ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    Hope
  • supafly1982
    Link to your one? how have you found it, easy to open, holds well, reliabiltiy etc
  • supafly1982
    no one else? must all have some other facey gadget then :lol: :roll: :roll:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    My seatpost clamp is smaller than the one you're after, but I have always used Hope and mine never slips at all. Very pleased with it :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Alpine from on-one - were £3 at one point but I think they are £5 now, why pay for expensive copies.

The only time I had a post slip was when the thread gummed up and the bolt torque wasn't getting the right clamping force (non QR), unless that is happening your not doing it tight enough - simples.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The seat clamp is not like mole grips if the sp is a good fit in the seat tube it should need minimal force to keep it there.

If your sp drops and stops at the same point every ride I would be looking for a new sp.
  • supafly1982
    .blitz wrote:
    The seat clamp is not like mole grips if the sp is a good fit in the seat tube it should need minimal force to keep it there.

If your sp drops and stops at the same point every ride I would be looking for a new sp.

yeah i was thinking the same :evil: its the oem post thats in just now
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    yeah i was thinking the same :evil: its the oem post thats in just now
    In that case it's almost certainly the post. Not unusual IME for an OE sp to be non-uniform
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it stopping when it hits a bottle cage bolt/boss?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best seatpost clamp I've had is the current one, which cost me about £2 from the LBS.
    I had a hope a while before it, but it had two problems.
    It would regularly become so gunked up and tight after riding for a while that it needed immense force to open it.
    And once it had been opened, I'd have to wash it with a camelback to close it again. :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, I've got a hope one on my new bike and it doesn't seem all that great. The cheapo (£6?) Powerplay one from CRC felt nicer.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    The best seatclamp of them all is a Chromag. It's not as stylish as Hope or Crank Bros tat ... but is the bestest in functionality / reliability full stop. Amen.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    M parts or powerplay allen bolt. No reason to pay more.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Chromag, expensive and way better than Hope
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    My riding buddies have got Hope, Crank Brothers and Chromag is untouchable in terms of smoothest operation. The best QR seatclamp to this date! Obviously it costs though.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I've had no problems with my Hope clamp
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    popstar wrote:
    The best seatclamp of them all is a Chromag. It's not as stylish as Hope or Crank Bros tat ... but is the bestest in functionality / reliability full stop. Amen.
    Chromag here too
    had a hope one and was forever trying to sort it out , have had others that ive been ok for the money paid for them on various steeds but the chromag is fit and forget and has never let me down you will buy it and its the last clamp you will need .
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Or one of these http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/santa-cruz-qr-seatclamp/7225. Its what SC ship on their frames. They are by far the best seatclamps I've used (and a good price too).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.