Spoke Hole Plugs or Rim Tape?

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Originally posted in Road Buying Advice but thought Workshop might be a better location

"Just taken delivery of my new Shimano RS80 wheelset from Merlin Cycles - ordered afternoon of 28th - delivered today (30th) at 3pm. Hats off to the guys at Merlin.

Looking through the set-up instructions, Shimano recommend using spoke hole plugs or traditional rim tape to protect the inner tubes when assembled.

I have done quite a bit of searching and eventually located a source of the plugs at Planet X Bikes

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSV ... -veloplugs

I gather the plugs add less weight to the wheel than conventional rim tape - according to some comments i have read.

Anyone got any experience of using these plugs? Also any opinions on the merits or otherwise of these plugs over rim tape.

Plugs cost £9.99 for a pack of 72 - roll of rim tape is about £3"

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    If you got the wheels brand new from a shop I'm sure they would already come with rim tape installed
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My R500s came with no rim tape IIRC.

As for weight I'd be amazed if plugs are lighter. Rim tape weighs naff all.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    My RS80's came with a very thin (light) plastic tape.

From reading around on WeightWeenies and similar sites rim tape apparently comes in at about 20g per wheel (usually, no idea if that's the thin tape or standard cloth tape though) against veloplugs at about 5g so in theory they're actually quite a cheap way of shedding 30g from your wheelset (comparing £/g to seat posts, stems etc).

I plan on using them rather than rim tape on any wheels where I have a reason to remove the tape but my only concern is how you get them our again if you need to...