Old SLX Frame

Deegs
Deegs Posts: 74
edited June 2011 in Workshop
After about 12 years of being a mostly armchair cyclist without regular riding tho light touring here & there- no make that 20 years- I'm finally getting out regularly. Yay- sportives etc. (well, done one and entered 2 for near future).

I've had a Ribble SLX 56cm frame for years as the basis of my bike. Had some components changed from time to time of course.

Just thinking about the frame- very tight angles with almost zero clearance- just managed to use it with 25mm tyres in past. Still using original 105 chainset but with 172.5mm cranks gives me toe overlap max 1cm.

Not sure whether to put up with this, change to 170mm cranks (how much difference am I likely to notice?) or get new frame & sell old. It is a bit of a (slightly scuffed) old friend but now sure how its performance would compare to a decent carbon alternative. Probably need to share bikes and find out?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Certainly take the opportunity to get a test ride - expect you'll notice a huge difference in terms of smoothness of ride and responsiveness to pedal input - but depends as much on whether it suits the kind of riding you enjoy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..