cassette rattling and moving around

theboykidney
theboykidney Posts: 95
edited July 2011 in Workshop
So i finally had the enthusiasm the other day to try and figure out where the rattle on my bike is coming from. Turns out the cassette has quite a bit of play in it in a perpendicular direction to the axle.

Is this normal? easy to fix? or replacement parts needed?

cheers,

tbk

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Depends on the cause.
    1.Could be that the lockring (holds the cassette onto the freehub) is loose.
    2.Could be that some of the part of the wheel assembly (holding the freehub tight on the axle) is loose.
    3.Or could be that the freehub bearings are shot.

1 and 2 are free to fix - just tighten the offending part. 3 means a new freehub.
  • The most likely cause is the locking ring having worked loose.

The ring should have embossed on it the torque setting. In respect of shimano its 40 nm.

Al
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Perpendicular to the axle??

You mean the sprockets are moving up and down? :shock:

Or do you mean parallel to the axle, ie moving from side to side?? In which case either the lockring has come loose / failed in some way, you're missing a spacer, or the freehub itself is falling off / failing.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Could be that the cassette was fited without the required spacer.
  • getjim
    getjim Posts: 30
    I had a similar problem caused by LBS changing the cassette for me and forgetting to put the spacer ring on.
  • twas the lockring, all fixed. cheers fellas. didn't think it could work itself loose... given its name.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Oh it can

It's a locking ring (to lock the cassette), not a locked ring