Handlebars

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
I want to change my handlebar from flat to riser type, main reason is I want them to be a bit narrower, currently 620mm and also used to the risers.

I have XT gears and Avid Elixir brakes, can I fit these to any bar?

Is fitting a new bar straight forward? I have had a look on u tube and it look straight forward, but will things like cable need shortening if I go for shorter bars?

Any advise appreciated

Flyer

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Straightforward.
    Lengths will probably be ok. Slightly shorter but some of that will be taken up by the rise. Tiny bit of additional slack won't make any real difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Most people would buy wider, riser bars. 620mm is already pretty narrow for a MTB, i wouldn't recommend any narrower. Also, if you're only replacing them to get them narrower, why not just cut down your existing flat bars?

Gears and brakes will slot on any bar fine - no bar is that extreme it will affect the cables - unless you fit some completely random bars of course.

Hardest thing to fit out of all the things is usually grips, unless you have lock-on style - In which case, everything will unbolt and bolt straight back on. SImples