Five Seats To Save Your Penis From Your Bike

king_jeffers
king_jeffers Posts: 694
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Stumbled on this article over at Gizmodo http://gizmodo.com/5816286/five-saddles ... -your-bike

Is this really an issue :?

Comments

• Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    This sort of CRAP appears every few years.

remeber the average pro rides 25,000 miles a year and you'd be stunned how many have 3 or more kids

Voight 6
    Boardman 4

Just for a start.

Me over 40 average 250 miles a week and no Wood dramas
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    I would have thought that wearing tight lycra and having a very sexy female cyclist (especially if she is wearing lycra with no knickers) ahead of you could lead to some embarrassment. Especially if such a seat gave you a bit more room to move and much better blood flow......
  • Our club TT star has an Adamo saddle and has recommended them to other testers. If you're a bit lardy (like me) then if you go straight to an aero position then things tend to get a bit crushed.

I'm being talked into doing a 12 in August and might consider one. The Spesh Toupe got a bit uncomfortable on a 100.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I am seating on my ar*e not my penis/testicles so I don't know who came up with this problem. Perhaps it has more to do with bicycles with drops...
  • ndru wrote:
    I am seating on my ar*e not my penis/testicles so I don't know who came up with this problem. Perhaps it has more to do with bicycles with drops...

Quite. I guess you must be like me - sit on the saddle and rest your tackle on the aero bars. :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    I have no problems in this department.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    23428.Jpg

I use one of these. Most comfy seat I've ever owned. 8)
  • ndru
    ndru wrote:

Quite. I guess you must be like me - sit on the saddle and rest your tackle on the aero bars. :shock:

If I had a mutton dagger like you I wouldn't ride a bike - I would use it as a pogo stick to bounce around. What I meant though was that while on an upright bike your testies aren't being squashed by the nose of the saddle the situation appears to be different when you are hunched over drops, non?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    ndru wrote:
    ndru wrote:

If I had a mutton dagger like you I wouldn't ride a bike - I would use it as a pogo stick to bounce around. What I meant though was that while on an upright bike your testies aren't being squashed by the nose of the saddle the situation appears to be different when you are hunched over drops, non?

It's not really about squishing your todger or nads, it's more to do with putting too much pressure on your perineum (also know according to Roger's Profanasaurus as the Barse for men or the Biffin Bridge for women), It contains a lot of important blood vessels and nerves and regular application of pressure for long periods is suppose to cause problems.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ndru
    Asprilla wrote:
    ndru wrote:
    ndru wrote:

It's not really about squishing your todger or nads, it's more to do with putting too much pressure on your perineum (also know according to Roger's Profanasaurus as the Barse for men or the Biffin Bridge for women), It contains a lot of important blood vessels and nerves and regular application of pressure for long periods is suppose to cause problems.
    Sure. However I have noticed that I do in fact rest on my buttocks instead of my crotch - maybe it's the shape of the saddle which is wide and the upright position, which means I am sitting like on a chair. I do recall that when riding a road bike I used to actually feel the saddle on my perineum, though I didn't know it was called that at the time :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    On a road bike you do rotate further forwards and so put extra perssure on. However, if your saddle fits correctly and is flat rather than angled up or down you shouldn't have excess pressure.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX