Bolt action shifting

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all. The Ramones is the first bike I've owned for some time with a Shimano shifter (Deore) & mech (XT). As far as shifting goes it is pretty unremarkable - move the lever and it shifts - but the action is just...meh compared to the Shram set ups on my other bikes.

Is all Shimano like this or is there some combination of shifter/mech that goes blam-blam-blam through the gears?

TIA

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is the shimano way when compared to SRAM :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have almost exactly the same on my MTB while the commuter is X0/X9, its just the way they are, is one better than the other - only if you prefer the way one is over the other, I love the 'did it really downshift' feel on the commuter, but the upshifts can feel snatchy, while the upshifts are smooth on the MTB the downshifts seem to slow - if they got together no doubt I'd get the worst of both worlds!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Ive found that the sram setups I have used have shifted quicker-snappier- than the shimano setups I have used. However, I think the shimano setups have been much smoother and had a more "quality" feel to them wheras the sram just felt cheap. Granted, I was comparing deore to sram x-5 so neither were exactly top end. On my new xt dynasis drivetrain, it seems to shift quicker than the deore, but still not as quick as the x-5 on the downshifts. However, I find that it is incredibly smooth and hardly ever get mis shifts.

Stick with it and you will probably get used to it. If not consider some xt shifters and cables...
  • .blitz
    leaflite wrote:
    If not consider some xt shifters and cables...
    Do the shifters actually make much difference?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    .blitz wrote:
    leaflite wrote:
    If not consider some xt shifters and cables...
    Do the shifters actually make much difference?
    IMO the shifter and cables make the most difference.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One thing you COULD try (not heard of anyone trying, but maybe/probably someone has) is to replace the upper ('G') jockey with a lower one, SRAM upper jockeys have less (almost zero on my X9) side to side movement than Shimano and that may explain why it pulls in the new gear so much faster.

Cables will improve the speed of upshifts (unless your running rapid rise when its downshifts) slightly.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Beginner, is that so?
    My Sram has an alarming amount of side to side movement on the upper pulley, whereas the XT I have waiting to go on (when the SRAM breaks) has virtually none.
  • .blitz
    No real issues with the shifting other than the action is not very tactile it is almost too light & sophisticated. I realise some people probably like this but I prefer a bit of resistance and audio feedback.

Would a Saint shifter make much difference?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    pity shimano don't do tourney shifters in 9 speed, they have clunky tractor shifts.