Shorts over swimming costumes

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Not on the bike today due to childcare arrangements, so for a change I decided to have a lunchtime swim.

What's with this idea of wearing ill-fitting shorts over their costumes? Presumably its the equivalent of wearing baggies over lycra for cyclists? Is it a fashion thing? Is it just concerns over body image?

Either way it just seems wrong.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    The big question is... do they go commando under the cossie? :lol:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Girls with fat backsides self conscious about cellulite?

Depending on the wearer it could be considered a public service?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Did they look like serious swimmers?

They may be drag shorts

http://store.speedo.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st ... Id%3D54764
  • Did they look like serious swimmers?

No, mainly as t4tomo described, with a few stick thin girls, and even some guys who seemed to be substituting this garb for proper swimwear.

All seemed rather chavy.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    No, mainly as t4tomo described, with a few stick thin girls, and even some guys who seemed to be substituting this garb for proper swimwear.

All seemed rather chavy.

Skin tight speedos aka budgie snmugglers are definately out, unless you're of a German persuasion
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    t4tomo wrote:

All seemed rather chavy.

Skin tight speedos aka budgie snmugglers are definitely out, unless you're of a German persuasion

Or French.... :(

The sight of 70 year old men in Speedo's rather spoilt my day on the beach in Corsica. Mind you, seeing a wife of one of them go topless in front of me is going to haunt me forever..... :shock:
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

All seemed rather chavy.

Skin tight speedos aka budgie snmugglers are definitely out, unless you're of a German persuasion

Or French.... :(

The sight of 70 year old men in Speedo's rather spoilt my day on the beach in Corsica. Mind you, seeing a wife of one of them go topless in front of me is going to haunt me forever..... :shock:

I take it she wasn't his 20 yr old trophy wife, then.

Too gruesome
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Are you talking about swimming shorts?

I've heard some people have taken to using fancy non-wooden tennis rackets at Wimbledon as well!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    thecrofter wrote:
    I take it she wasn't his 20 yr old trophy wife, then.

Too gruesome

Unfortunately not..... I couldn't see any evidece of 250' yachts containing shapely 21 year old blonds around anywere either.

In it's defense (the beach that is) it's used by the locals rather than the tourists but even so...
  • bails87 wrote:
    Are you talking about swimming shorts?

I've heard some people have taken to using fancy non-wooden tennis rackets at Wimbledon as well!

Swimming shorts are fine for swimming (not so fine for cycling). It is the people who wear football or 'leisure' shorts over the top of swimming gear (or other indeterminate underwear) that I don’t get.

No more wooden tennis rackets you say? Whatever next ;shorts and skirts? Yelps like guinea pigs on heat? A British winner? Nah, it’ll never happen.