Skinny Tyres - Use once throw away?

thecrofter
thecrofter Posts: 734
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Last Sunday I was out on the Trossachs ton and got a front tyre puncture from a piece of glass. It made a small slice in the tyre about 3-4 mm enough to cut some of the banding so that once re-inflated there was a slight bulge marking the puncture point. Now, I've taken the decision that, on safety grounds, the tyre is getting binned as I wouldn't feel comfortable descending on a tyre I know is not 100%.

The question is, is this relatively normal for punctures on skinny tyres, ie one puncture and they're trashed, or have I been unlucky?
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    You've been unlucky. Most punctures just make a tiny hole and the tyre is left perfectly intact structurally. You do occasionally get big cuts which write off the whole tyre, as you've discovered, but it's not a regular occurrence for most people.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Thanks for that, I had the feeling I might be overthinking the whole thing. You know more TPI meaning more chance of structural failure, that sort of thing.

Perhaps I should get a job where I have more work to do.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    You've been unlucky. I bought a new pair of tyres last year and after about 150 miles the front was sliced and the same type of bulge happened on that. My bikes only wear tough cheapish tyres now in case I have to throw it away.

But, if it isn't too bulging it might come in handy for turbo use where you can use less pressure.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You were right to take it off on safety grounds - I've had a tyre with a fairly small sidewall bulge (from a previous crash) go whilst out on the road, I'm just glad I was on the flat at the time :p
  • mtb1975
    mtb1975 Posts: 33
    A couple of weeks ago I had the same problem on my rear tyre. Michelin Pro3 Race with about 300 miles on them. 10 miles in to an 83 mile ride I punctured and had the same 3-4mm slit in the top of the tyre. I reduced the pressure to minimise the bulging but it's all I thought about for the rest of the ride, especially on the fast descents!

To Michelin's credit, at the end of the ride the slit wasn't much bigger but again for safety and peace of mind I replaced it before the next ride.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mtb1975 wrote:
    A couple of weeks ago I had the same problem on my rear tyre. Michelin Pro3 Race with about 300 miles on them. 10 miles in to an 83 mile ride I punctured and had the same 3-4mm slit in the top of the tyre. I reduced the pressure to minimise the bulging but it's all I thought about for the rest of the ride, especially on the fast descents!

To Michelin's credit, at the end of the ride the slit wasn't much bigger but again for safety and peace of mind I replaced it before the next ride.

That's why I keep a small section of an old tyre in my saddle bag. Weighs nowt but will get me back home if needed.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I have a couple of strips cut from a toothpaste tube.

Easier than cutting-up old tyres
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    My record is 4 miles out of a new Gatorskin. Caught the side-wall on a rough road edge and tore it. Not very happy as I was in France at the time and it took 2 days to get a replacement. :cry: