Time Atac XS Carbon - Steel or Titanium axle

Zziplex
Zziplex Posts: 190
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm sick to death of my various Crank Bros pedals being a right pain in the arse to click in to, so going back to Time ATACs:

Time Atac XS Carbon with Titanium axle Pedals. Weight: 288g (per pair)

or

Time Atac XS Carbon Pedals. Weight: 338g (per pair)

Is the 50g / £85 price difference worth it for a 15 stone rider with kit, or would I be better off not taking a mars bar with me?
Guinness for strength

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not worth it. Unless your bike is properly bling elsewhere there'll be far cheaper weight savings. Ti isn't a great material for pedal axles either.
  • Zziplex
    Without upgrading groupset bits from XT, I can't really make any other worthwhile weight savings tbh Can't improve on wheels, bars, stem and seatpost are all either very light or decent gear. But think I'll take your advice and go for the cheaper stronger option tbh. Cheers.
    Guinness for strength
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    Made the same change myself. Got sick to death of replacing cleats made out of marshmallows and servicing the bearings (3 times in 18 months).

I usually reserve Ti for light-weight racing anything else really doesn't make sense. As pointed out its not the best use of Ti and at 15st, you might prefer something more rugged.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I can't really make any other worthwhile weight savings tbh

I'll bet you can save 50g for less than £85 :-)
  • Zziplex
    njee20 wrote:
    I can't really make any other worthwhile weight savings tbh

I'll bet you can save 50g for less than £85 :-)

Try me. :wink:
    Guinness for strength