Cateye Strada Cadence Computer - Sensor attachment help!

mattgoodman
mattgoodman Posts: 15
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Hi all,

I recently purchased the Cateye Strada Cadence computer and I need to attach the Cadence magnet to the inside of the left crank with cable ties. The problem is, my Shimano crank is hollowed out on the inside (not flat), so I cannot cable tie the magnet securely! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt G[/img]

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Same problem with my Sigma computer so I cable tied the cadence magnet to the top edge of the crank and used some "no more nails on a roll" double sided tape under the magnet to stick it down more securely. This has worked fine for me.

The other tip I hear is to use a 12mm neodymium disc magnet in the pedal axle hole. If you've got steel pedal axles the magnet will hold securely and it will be a very neat looking solution. I'm not sure my cranks have enought clearence from the chainstay to avoid hitting the sensor with this method. Magnets are like these here http://www.first4magnets.com/12mm-diame ... l-82-c.asp
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    Hi

I have the Cateye V3 with cadence sensor, like yours my crank is hollow on the back. However I have just popped it on and it works fine, does not slip around the side - I did use pliers to get a good hold of the tie and pull it.

Hope its ok
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Thought I'd try the magnet in pedal spindle hole so I bought some magnets from the local Staples (http://www.staples.co.uk/display-presentation-boards-and-easels/dry-wipe-board-accessories/staples-black-magnets-pack-of-10?r=se pack of 10 for £3.99). They're 12.7mm in diameter and fit the spindle hole perfectly. I had to remount the Sigma cadence sensorsigma_cadence_sensor.jpg on the underside of the chainstay to get clearance from the crank arm, but it works a treat and looks much neater than having cable ties around the crank arm. Worth a try if you can get enough clearance.