cafe stops and puncture stops?

tom22
tom22 Posts: 59
i was wondering how much stopping mid-ride affects the your training quality?

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Depends what you're training for? If it's a club ride then it's essential to get the cafe stop just right. :wink:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Totally depends on the training session, although I can't ever remember having a cafe stop on a training ride.....

Punctures and mechanicals are out of your control really, so you just have to deal with them as and when.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Nowt wrong with a cafe stop on a training ride.

Training
    Cafe Stop
    Ride or "Commute" home.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    An argument for not stopping: http://www.cyclosport.org/15-Nov-2008/t ... -stop.html
    However, if you like stopping for a cup of tea and a natter during a ride then do it. Life is for living.

If punctures bother you buy better tyres.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    tom22 wrote:
    i was wondering how much stopping mid-ride affects the your training quality?

Depends on the stop duration and what intensity the ride is at.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Simon E wrote:
    An argument for not stopping: http://www.cyclosport.org/15-Nov-2008/t ... -stop.html
    However, if you like stopping for a cup of tea and a natter during a ride then do it. Life is for living.

I've tried both riding solo + not stopping and having a normal club ride with a stop as part of my training schedule and I can't observe any difference at all in my fitness or race results.

This is only on longer rides though (over 3h). I never stop for more than a few seconds on short rides.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Simon E wrote:

Bontrager Race Heavys?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    freehub wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    Bontrager Race Heavys?
    If a 350g training tyre is a problem then you need to eat less ;)

Seriously, I'd say 100-150g is a good trade-off for the Hardcase's toughness. I would expect the Durano Plus to be similarly robust but I've not tried it. The Race X Lite is 250g and seems more supple but the protection layer doesn't feel as strong. I would rather pull those extra few ounces uphill than waste time fixing a puncture, especially on a cold, wet morning. After all, isn't a training ride is meant to help you get fitter?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    I rode all winter in a set of hardcases, despite having all manner of slashes, marks, etc in them - not one puncture.

I know what i will be buying come October this year!

Only this time I will be prepared for the additional weight/rolling resistance :shock: