About to go to the Police Station

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
and make a statement, with video in hand

Bloody hell that was close - woman pulled onto the A6 from the pavement on the other side of the road without looking; mainly 'cos she was on the phone, and swung straight at me.

I'm bellowing and she's still not looking - it was only when my extra speed carried me INTO her line of sight that she slammed the brakes on and ended up on the wrong side of the A6 causing the now oncoming traffic to screech to a halt.

Cue car horns and me filling the air with useful advice....

I'll let you know what happens, but this time I am determined to make a complaint, so am taking a DVD with a copy of the film to the nearest Police station
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Bring something to play the DVD on, eh?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    "Cue car horns and me filling the air with useful advice...."

I realise this was a heart-stopping, possibly, almost fatal moment, but I did have to smile when reading the above line.

Hope you get a good result.

Good luck.
  • Let us know when it's on You tube.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    You'll probably end up getting arrested yourself for illegal filming or something stupid :roll:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I
    suzyb wrote:
    You'll probably end up getting arrested yourself for illegal filming or something stupid :roll:

Oh yeah, just like magnatom & cycling silk etc have when they've done the same. FFS
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I can't imagine the police will done anything. They aren't interested in evidence that is given to them.

I handed in stills of a van driver and his number plate on a CD several years ago when filling a complaint about him ramming me with the van. It went no-where
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Based on my own recent experience - its probably careless driving, but the police are overloaded. They told me that they only had the resources to take a case forward for cases resulting in a serious injury.

That said, perhaps she has done something worthy of a quick fixed penalty notice, such as parking facing traffic or something.
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    That said, perhaps she has done something worthy of a quick fixed penalty notice, such as parking facing traffic or something.
    Or driving while using a mobile phone?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    esspeebee wrote:
    Or driving while using a mobile phone?
    :oops: Hadn't spotted that one.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I
    suzyb wrote:

Oh yeah, just like magnatom & cycling silk etc have when they've done the same. FFS
    I was thinking more like the parents of primary school kids who filmed drivers speeding past the school and were told stop it or you'll be in more trouble than the drivers. FFS
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    suzyb wrote:
    I
    suzyb wrote:

I was thinking more like the parents of primary school kids who filmed drivers speeding past the school and were told stop it or you'll be in more trouble than the drivers. FFS

I read that as you meant it suzyb i think shouldbe needs to get back in and then out on the correct side this morning :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Filled the statement in and have the accompanying video all set. After going through it a few times, it's actually pretty impressive how many things she gets wrong in a remarkably short space of time

Parked on the pavement
    No indicators when pulling out
    Didn't check the traffic on the main road (I wear a BRIGHT yellow short-sleeved top and Hi-Viz vest)
    On the phone
    Not one single movement of the head to check for traffic (I was looking right at her)
    Causes oncoming traffic to take avoiding action (Merc driver on horn heading for the kerb) when stopped in the middle of the road to avoid hitting me

Then she turned right almost right hooking me when I was on her offside
    Using her horn and gesticulating at me when she drove off.

It'll be interesting to see what the Police make of it.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Let us know when it's on You tube.

+1 :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm not sure I should put the vid up if it's going to be part of a possible prosecution - is that right?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Going to the policeStation?

Be mindful of the case of GMP v Hookway which has just been decided by the High Court
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah the police generally don't seem interested in "petty" crime. My dad had his bike nicked a month or so ago. Later, he spotted it on ebay so informed the police. They assured him that the "ebay team" would investigate before the end of the auction. He heard zilch.

He did some investigation himself into the seller and worked out that it was a local pawn shop. He phoned the manager who was very helpful and said that they would take the bike off ebay and put it in the back of the shop til the police contacted him to confirm that my dad was the owner. He said that he had identity details and an address for the people who brought the bike in, so all the police had to do was follow up with my dad, speak to the manager return the bike and "speak to" the guys who had dropped the bike at the pawn shop. Their job was half done.

My dad called the police with all this information. They assured him again that something would be done and it would be followed up. He waited for 3-4 days.... Called the manager of the pawn shop but nothing had been done. Zero. Called the police to chase... Again.... and again... and AGAIN... and finally after about the 5th call, they actually got their asses into gear and returned the bike. Almost 2 weeks after it had been seen on ebay.

If it hadn't been listed by a reputable business (the pawn shop), the auction would have been over, the bike gone and the perpetrators escaped. He also spoke to ebay who absolved themselves of all responsibility.... No idea if the police actually bothered trying to catch the original thieves....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    suzyb wrote:
    That was probably as they were also filming primary school age kids though, the cars being irrelevant to that fact....filming in a public place is perfectly illegal with only a few small exceptions.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis
    I'm not sure I should put the vid up if it's going to be part of a possible prosecution - is that right?

Correct. Don't put it up, not even obscured. In fact I'd recommend not talking about it at all here any further. If you say nothing about it, there's nothing that can be dragged out to bite you in any fashion (even completely out of context) at a later date. Lawyer types are particularly good at that.

Once it's done, I believe you're free.

Best of luck.
  • Kieran_Burns
    spen666 wrote:

Be mindful of the case of GMP v Hookway which has just been decided by the High Court

Ummmm.... I'm not going to be bailed mate - I didn't do anything wrong :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    spen666 wrote:

What has that got to do with this?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Bet she was driving a Beemer !! :lol:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    bearfraser wrote:
    Bet she was driving a Beemer !! :lol:

My money would be on an Audi. The "BMW drivers" of yesteryear drive Audis these days...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Headhuunter
    Talking of confrontations and near crashes, I had a very vivid dream last night. I cycled up to the junction of New North Rd and Essex Rd in Islington, heading south. I filtered through the traffic waiting at the red light and was incensed (in my dream) to see that some young kids in a chavved up van with low pro tyres, low suspension, dark windows etc was in the ASL. I remember feeling exceedingly angry and made a point of stopping my bike in front of them and resting my foot on the front of the van and then shouting at them that they were in the ASL. Then the lights went green and they drove up next to me... Then all of a sudden there were 4 of them out of the van, all dressed in gansta gear having a go at me, I remember panicking and trying to cycle off but fumbling the SPDs and wobbling about... Then I think I woke up...

Anyone else had any cycling dreams?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    No. That would be just weird.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    filming in a public place is perfectly illegal with only a few small exceptions.

Simon

Really?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Headhuunter
    CiB wrote:

Oh.... I dream about my bikes all the time!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    CiB wrote:

You just dream of stats tables with you pipping running man for top spot? :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • davis

Once kicked myself off the sofa by pedalling having fallen asleep after work.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    bails87 wrote:
    filming in a public place is perfectly illegal with only a few small exceptions.

Simon

Really?!

I'm assuming he meant "perfectly legal" on the basis that "perfectly illegal" would be a really odd choice of words.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    nation wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Simon

Really?!

I'm assuming he meant "perfectly legal" on the basis that "perfectly illegal" would be a really odd choice of words.

Yes, because that implies there are various degrees of illegalness

...but then perfectly legal would also imply varying degrees of legalness

:?