Good Bike Book

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Going on hols soon, and want something bike related for my kindle.

I bought Armstrong's Every Second Counts, which is good but not what I expected* and I am already 70% into it before I even step on the plane!

So, any suggestions?

Must be kindle-able.

* thought it'd be more about the riding & life as a cyclist, but it's more about his thoughts & the effect the cancer had on him - a really enjoyable read, and quite enlightening/ motivational but not what I thought it might be.

Comments

• How about Bad Blood by Jeremy Whittle or French Revolutions by Tim Moore.
  • Secteur
    thank you - hadnt seen that other thread :oops:
  • Secteur
    Just bought David Millar's autobiog and Slaying The Badger - both seem very good!
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Hi, Brad Wiggins book if you aint read it, it is a quality read.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    How about Bad Blood by Jeremy Whittle or French Revolutions by Tim Moore.

I agree with French revolutions by Tim Moore, just reading it myself and it is a great read and very funny in places.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    We had a go at this on Commuting a couple of weeks ago. You'd have to sort out the Kindlological books [neat word huh? made it myself... :wink: ] but there are few good uns in there, not least One Man and Lejog, by one of our very own contributors on here, and that one is kindletastic.

Click here for a books thread.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Going on holiday on Friday and went to the library tonight, got the hour one by Dr Hutch. I generally only read novels - so this will be intereresting!
  • skinnypunter
    skinnypunter Posts: 144
    Tim Krabbe's 'the Ride'.
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    Slaying the Badger is a must, brilliant!
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    CiB wrote:
    We had a go at this on Commuting a couple of weeks ago. You'd have to sort out the Kindlological books [neat word huh? made it myself... :wink: ] but there are few good uns in there, not least One Man and Lejog, by one of our very own contributors on here, and that one is kindletastic.

Click here for a books thread.

One Man and LEJOG is my book (thanks CiB!) - it's an account of my LEJOG last year, I've collated the blog I wrote en route with a selection of pictures I took during the trip alongside the route maps.

It's available on Kindle* at £1.71, and in hardcopy at £4.99 - it's something that I'm immensely proud of. I'd like to thank anybody that has already purchased it, and hope that you've enjoyed it.

* - It's currently sat at #9 in the Kindle Cycling Bestsellers chart, nestled in between Mark Beaumont's tales and seven places ahead of Lance Armstrong...woo!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • skinnypunter
    skinnypunter Posts: 144
    To add to my suggestion re Tim Krabbe...

• Mark Beaumont - The Man Who Cycled the World - travelogue, and really pretty good: way better than the BBC coverage of his trip.
    • A Race for Madmen: A History of the Tour de France - just started this on my Kindle, and it's pretty engaging stuff. Stories of the first races, with guys averaging 26kph on muddy roads (not fair, I struggle to hit 24 on a long ride!).
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I really enjoyed 'cycilng home from Siberia' an excellent tale of adventure perfect for a holiday read.
  • Secteur
    lastant wrote:

One Man and LEJOG is my book (thanks CiB!) - it's an account of my LEJOG last year, I've collated the blog I wrote en route with a selection of pictures I took during the trip alongside the route maps.

It's available on Kindle* at £1.71, and in hardcopy at £4.99 - it's something that I'm immensely proud of. I'd like to thank anybody that has already purchased it, and hope that you've enjoyed it.

* - It's currently sat at #9 in the Kindle Cycling Bestsellers chart, nestled in between Mark Beaumont's tales and seven places ahead of Lance Armstrong...woo!

Well, it'd be rude not to (especially at that price!) - will purchase that (kindle only, i'm afraid, though).

Cheers!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    In Search of Robert Millar. Very good book. Kindle £4.99.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    The Beautiful Machine by Graeme Fife is my favourite cycling book. Highly recommended!
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 Posts: 293
    I like 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar'
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Aggieboy wrote:

Frank's just read this Aggie, so you'll have plenty to talk about on your date :wink:
  • Secteur
    Read Slaying The Badger - fantastic book!

Now 3/4 through David Millar's book - again a very good read (and didnt realise it only came out last month)
  • Aggieboy
    random man wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Frank's just read this Aggie, so you'll have plenty to talk about on your date :wink:

Just seen this. If he has shown you the inscription I wrote I'll be very, very annoyed.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    I was given Ned Boulting's book 'How I won the yellow jumper' for my birthday. It's new and I didn't even know it existed tbh. I'm enjoying it, it's a light hearted look at his time behind the scenes of the TdeF and some of the crew/characters/riders.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Read the Bilble and see if you can find the hidden reference to cycling. It will blow your mind.
  • random man
    Aggieboy wrote:
    random man wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Just seen this. If he has shown you the inscription I wrote I'll be very, very annoyed.

That's a bit worrying, it's my book :? He'd better keep it now :wink:

One Man and His Bike by Mike Carter sounds worth a look. Carter's a journalist who undertakes a 5000 mile journey round the coast of Britain.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Aggieboy wrote:

+1 also French revolutions.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    random man wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    random man wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

One Man and His Bike by Mike Carter sounds worth a look. Carter's a journalist who undertakes a 5000 mile journey round the coast of Britain.

Nah then, randomness you're starting to sound like a jelous ex-girlfriend. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • random man
    random man wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    random man wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Nah then, randomness you're starting to sound like a jelous ex-girlfriend. :lol:

What do you mean EX?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    French Revolutions +1. Very good, as are most of Tim Moore's books.

Also recommend Fallen Angel, Fausto Coppi's story (author Will Fotheringham). I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it, but found it to be a real page-turner.
    Ecrasez l’infame