New disc brakes

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
If i was to say to you guys and girls. I want to spend £150 on new disc brakes, what would you suggest?
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it was me? I'd just do the front brake first, and get these.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27686
  • widge34
    Ok thats good. As i have the deore M595 and SLX on shortlist. I have Hayes Stroker Rydes at the moment. Not completely happy with them.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • jedi_master
    jedi_master Posts: 888
    My brother replaced the Rydes he had with a set of M595s. He said they are a big improvement over the Rydes. Better modulation, better power and they haven't faded on the quicker down sections like the Rydes did.
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    I'd get some Formula Oro's from Merlin with VIP discount. 24's should be within £150...

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... s/list.htm
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Or try the official Formula store, some bargains there.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    After recently discovering the major ball ache of trying to get formula spares, I'd suggest steering clear.
  • parkc
    parkc Posts: 11
    Sorry to hijack your thread slightly but I am in the same boat and also looking to upgrade my woeful mechanical discs for some decent hydraulics.

I was all set for getting some Shimano M595 as I have yet to read a negative comment and they seem to be a great buy, however could somebody tell me if it is worth paying the extra for the SLX or XT 775 set on Merlin cycles? Do they offer much more in terms of performance for the extra price or would I mainly be paying for the name?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
    XTs are excellent, possibly the ultimate all rounder brake. However, the newer versions are due any second now, which offer significant performance increases.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    parkc wrote:
    I was all set for getting some Shimano M595 as I have yet to read a negative comment and they seem to be a great buy
    Got some last year they are most excellent - fit, forget
    parkc wrote:
    ...worth paying the extra for the SLX or XT 775 set on Merlin cycles?
    If you are prepared to wait a while there could be some deals on 775s when 785s become available.

If you simply must have the 785s right now, Bike24 have loads: http://www.bike24.com/1.php?ID=190a713d ... earch=m785
  • Anonymous
    Oooh, there they are. I didn't know they were in shops yet.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    After recently discovering the major ball ache of trying to get formula spares, I'd suggest steering clear.

It's getting a lot better now, LBS's are actually able to get stuff (I know because mine has several service kits and a tonne of official brake pads) and CRC are carrying most parts now as well.
  • widge34
    Well through Merlins vip club the Fomula Oro K18 are almost the same price as the Deore M595s.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Formula Oro K18s (thought K24s are the same with more adjustment)for me too. I got a set with rotors from CRC when they were at £109. They're great, very, very competitive weight for the price or even at full price with lots of power and modulation. I've never been left wanting that extra adjustment, less to go wrong too and at least now if things do go wrong you've got a good distributor in the form of Silverfish.

My bike was at the LBS and the mechanic there, who's pretty experienced and has seen a lot of brakes in his time, commented on how good they are and was genuinely impressed. He said he nearly went over the bars and this is with 160mm rotors at both ends. I'm sure he said he was running Hope M4s with 180mm and 160mm rotors which are more per end than I paid for both.
  • Shimano M595 +1 same pretty much as SLX just bit more heavy and arent as fancy.

merlin deal is good though they are older sets of SLX so dont expect new ones.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Shimano M595 +1 same pretty much as SLX just bit more heavy and arent as fancy..

SLX has servo wave and greater pad clearance, having used both I would pay the extra for this .
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    +1 for 595s. Great brakes. I've used the servo wave adjusty thing on my xt's, and it has been nice to get things just right, but I could comfortably live without it.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • widge34
    Well i've taken the plunge and gone for the Formula Oro K18 @ £125. Read loads of reviews and hardly any negative.

Anyone fancy buying some Hayes Stroker Rydes??? ;-)
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Where did you get them from for that price?
  • widge34
    Merlin, using their VIP scheme which is free when you register.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Thats a good price, i suppose its swings n roundabouts mine were £140 from CRC but i got my new Tora 302 solo air for £120 last night so that's my bargain! :lol: