Transporting bike in a sports car

m00nd0g
m00nd0g Posts: 176
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
I am currently thinking it is time to sell my hatchback and replace with an MGF1.8.
Only problem is I sometimes need to get me and my bike to places.
Are there any ways of atatching bike racks or am i going toh have to keep removing the rear wheel?

Comments

• chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    A mate manages to carry his bike in his elise... I think he basically takes the wheels off and fits it on the passenger seat, but there are other options
    31082006356smlve5.jpg
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited June 2011
    Are you mad? MGF?

Get a crappy estate that you wouldn't care about throwing your bike in and spend what you save on the bike :wink:
  • rude-dog
    rude-dog Posts: 67
    agreed !!! MGF???

mk3 MR2 or MX5 yes...

if not estate and a new super record groupset
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Are you mad? MGF?

Get a crappy estate that you wouldn't throwing your bike in and spend what you save on the bike :wink:

That's what I did :P

I was toying with the idea of a Porsche but went for a Subaru Legacy estate instead.

With the money saved I got my Colnago, a new quality hifi and have @ £15k left over for holidays or whatever. Much better option all round.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    An MGF is a sports car!? :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rude-dog wrote:
    agreed !!! MGF???

mk3 MR2 or MX5 yes...

I'm not sure that the OP is a hairdresser though. :?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Rolf F wrote:
    rude-dog wrote:
    agreed !!! MGF???

mk3 MR2 or MX5 yes...

I'm not sure that the OP is a hairdresser though. :?

Either a hairdresser or going through a midlife crisis to be considering a sports car....
    More problems but still living....
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    deffo a hair dresser! or probably prefers to be referred to as a "hair stylist!"
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Glad you'll be taking your bike with you when you drive anyway, as those cars often break.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    My take on the above (as a "sports" car owner who does more miles on his bikes):

MGF pretty awful car and not cheap to keep on the road, as said look at an MX5 for the same money.

Various soloutions for carrying a bike on a 2 seater but always more options if you have a hard top you can use when fitting a rack or get a model you can fit a tow bar to.
  • mowflow
    mowflow Posts: 212
    How are you going to get an MGF? They haven't made them for some time and all the ones they made fell apart.

Seriously, do not buy one of these sh!t boxes.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Rule # 25
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    m00nd0g wrote:
    I am currently thinking it is time to sell my hatchback and replace with an MGF1.8.
    Only problem is I sometimes need to get me and my bike to places.
    Are there any ways of atatching bike racks or am i going toh have to keep removing the rear wheel?

I used to have an MGTF

Never used a bike rack but think the saris bones would fit

Or search here

http://forums.mg-rover.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I had an F back in the 90's, but never carried a bike on it

Have seen them carried on bootlid racks though (without front wheel), or I know someone with a Boxster who puts his in the passenger seat (sounds oily...)

Dunno if I'd buy an F today though - mine was brand new and (other than minor stuff like a bit of water leaking between window & roof if wind really strong when parked) it never had any mechanical issues : but I know of two people since who were running older, higher milage cars and had headgasket failures and they're a nightmare (and expensive) to sort-out because of where the engine is, so I'm not sure it'd be that brilliant a 3rd/4th hand buy...

Considerably more day-to-day practical than, say, an Elise though, which is what I really wanted - although I swapped to an Impreza 5-door in the event, and that was very easy to put a bike in the back of
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    I used to drive an MGF, mid engined and two seats but appalling build quality, not very fast and hellish in the wet.

I will say this though it can take a hit. I aquaplaned on the dual carriageway and hit a lamppost (while airborne) at about 75mph.

I now have quite a lot of screws and titanium in my legs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64673056@N04/5887142661/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/64673056@N04/5887143147/
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Raphe wrote:

I think you did very well to walk away from that, even with a bit of titanium...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I did see a Porsche turning up to a sportif - with his bike sticking up thru the sunroof....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Geez you don't want an MGF, you need to get a proper sports car if you are going to get one.
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    cougie wrote:
    I did see a Porsche turning up to a sportif - with his bike sticking up thru the sunroof....

I once got a Full suss mountain bike in the back of a old style 911 Targa with the roof on, needed to take both wheels, seatpost and handlebars off though.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    20 years ago I used to take my bike apart to fit behind the seats of an MG Midget - luckily I only need a small frame.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    Main question first - a Saris Bones rack should do the job. I use one on my MX-5, and it works fine. Also, it should fit almost any other car you might have in the future as it is very adjustable.

Next issue - an MGF?! Are you mad?! Wouldn't touch one with your money let alone my own. I'm obviously biased, but I'd recommend an MX-5. Great fun, cheap to run, and so far (cue breakdown tomorrow!) no problems, now 5 1/2 years old. I have the Mk 3 2.0 (not sport version). The Mk3 1.8 has no ESP or traction control, whereas the 2.0 does - more than worth the extra! It might be standard on the facelift Mk 3.5 model, and no idea about older models (Mk1 or 2).