Forum home Mountain biking forum The Crudcatcher

Good Morning Strikers and Non Strikers

GazlarGazlar Posts: 8,110
edited July 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Morning Folkoids

2 to go til the wickend as they say around here. Another decent day at work to come hopefully, ie nothing too strenuous.

thats about it for today, Although I sense its gonna be a fairly quiet un wot with the strikes and owt

anyway, Tarrah a bit
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Posts

  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,157
    Morning

    Last day of the week as I am off tomorrow & taking the current wife (of ten yrs today) to London for the w.end - with kids being dropped off at sister in laws on the way :)

    Kids are in school as teachers are not striking, thankfully.

    Other than that a day of meh
  • RansakaRansaka Posts: 474
    Hola,

    Weather's still nice, popped some quality air last night on my ride home (felt like 20 feet was likely 2), bit tired today.
    Have a day of work vaguely broken up with shifting a load of stuff in a van at some point.
  • Cat With No TailCat With No Tail Posts: 13,581
    Morning homos!

    I'm supposed to be off work today and tomorrow but as today and tomorrow are the last and first days of the month, I've got a shed load of reports that need to be completed.

    Being so busy is really taking some getting used to I have to say!

    Still, spending a day with the smallest child today before we go to pick up biggest child from school. Then tomorrow I shall be going for a nice long ride to blow away the cobwebs and get a jump start on the July Endomondo challenge.
  • foxc_ukfoxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    'Ning
    Workmeh as usual, in a better mood today though.
    Not much else happening, waiting for the weekend!

    Kisses
    FoxC
  • spongtasticspongtastic Posts: 3,131
    Ning Nang Nong peoples.

    Today I will be working, working and working plus some more working then home to split the smug red hippy to make some room in the shed.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

    Who are you calling inbred?
  • ClankClank Posts: 2,323
    Cruds, crudites, crudes, crudettes, crudlettes, crudlings, crudapotomi, crudowiszs and crudowskis.

    Ah yes. The weekend.

    SWMBO is making the trip up to mine, we've got a 40th birthday to attend and some riding to do. Frikkin' sweet.

    But before then, a day of work around the m'ehcroscope, but pub tonight and a relaxed work day tomorrow - just me and the machinery. Again, frikkin' sweet.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

    Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • KaiseKaise Posts: 2,498
    morgans! - easy day finishing the report.

    teachers, sorry but i have to say it, above avergae pay, way above average annual holidays and you still want to strike! You've got a job and thousands (including qulaified people) havent, get over yourself.

    Cue hate from all teachers

    Ditch
    Head Backwards

    end

    Laters
  • MissBint37MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    Well I hope today is better than yesterday. Yesterday was the day from hell :(

    1) Lost my bike gloves. No idea where. FFS! I have a spare pair but they are old and rubbish and my hands still hurt, so I suppose I shall have to purchase some more!

    2) Water leaking from my ceiling when my housemate had a shower last night. Had 3 connections on pipes come loose in my house in the last year. The house is less than 6 years old. Tempted to complain to the house builder although I doubt it will go anywhere but its obviously sh!!!!!!!te construction and workmanship. Plumber coming over later to have a look but no dount it will mean more holes in my wall which means replastering and redecorating AGAIN!

    3) Water leaking from under my sink resulting in a medium sized flood on my kitchen floor caused by the workmen repairing my kitchen (from a previous water damage fail) and taking the sink out, and putting a hole in the pump out pipe from my washer.

    4) Outside tap not working following said work, so I couldn't hose down the bike. Instead I had to wash it with a car sponge! ........and rinse with a watering can I had to drag through my house.

    5) Repairers broke my kitchen light meaning I can't do anything in my kitchen in the hours of darkness. Thank God it's light nights!

    Argggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    But today is a new day!
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • angry_birdangry_bird Posts: 3,782
    Morning

    Final exam today. Only 30 minutes but hardest of the lot sadly.

    Anyway following this I'll be off to the pub.

    Laters
  • GhallTN6GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    another quiet day today probably, our overseas office has a bank holiday so it's basically a 50% worksforce.

    Interesting idea by a friend today, his ideas was the pensions should be linked to tax, so basically, if you pay tax for 40 years, you get a pension, the more tax you paid, the bigger the pension..

    I don't get this final salary thing, you could earn 20 to 30k for 40 years, but then in the last five years say your salary goes up to 60k, you expect to leave on a 60k pension for the rest of your life, which nowadays, could be another twenty years, tell you what, I'd kill for a pension worked out on my average career salary.
  • mostermoster Posts: 121
    Morning!

    Had a great ride last night - nipped 10 mins down the road to have a quick nose at the new car sized hole in the stone road bridge over the river and discovered the entrance to a trail I've never spotted before on the way back - got home 2hrs later sweating and covered in bramble scrapes!

    For the first time in ages I have very little to do at work today - a couple of "bits" to sort this morning and off to a briefing this afternoon - might even get away early :D

    More adventuring on the cards tonight me thinks
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • MissBint37MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    another quiet day today probably, our overseas office has a bank holiday so it's basically a 50% worksforce.

    Interesting idea by a friend today, his ideas was the pensions should be linked to tax, so basically, if you pay tax for 40 years, you get a pension, the more tax you paid, the bigger the pension..

    I don't get this final salary thing, you could earn 20 to 30k for 40 years, but then in the last five years say your salary goes up to 60k, you expect to leave on a 60k pension for the rest of your life, which nowadays, could be another twenty years, tell you what, I'd kill for a pension worked out on my average career salary.

    I agree but average salary needs to take into account inflation.

    For example, my mum started on £2000 as a teacher many many moons ago. And is now making big bucks doing something else. Fine, average out the salary, but not from £2000 if you get me, from the equivalent of that value of money in the present day at the time of retirement.
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • GazlarGazlar Posts: 8,110
    kaiser83 wrote:
    morgans! - easy day finishing the report.

    teachers, sorry but i have to say it, above avergae pay, way above average annual holidays and you still want to strike! You've got a job and thousands (including qulaified people) havent, get over yourself.

    Cue hate from all teachers

    Ditch
    Head Backwards

    end

    Laters



    See now time for a reply, from a confessed Tory, in defence of the workers of all things. Mrs G, as I've mentioned is a primary school teacher in an overachieving school in a poor area. She gets 22k per year as a first year teacher which rises with service but for anyone under senior management level it doesn't jump to hugely over average pay. In return for that she is up at 6 every day to be in work for 7.30 and she leaves every day at 6.30 gettin home for around 7. Breaks are often spent working or on duty, this is based on being paid 8 til 4. She will eat then mark, plan and make resources, often with my help until around9.30 at night. She will also spend best of one day each weekend doing the same for the week ahead. Holidays end up with a good third either planning, assessing or targeting as well as time in school sorting the classroom.

    I disagree with the whole pensions thing, mainly because it's unsustainable, and also because it's been apparent for years, I remember it being an issue some time back when I first started work, but the previous government brushed it aside and talked about sticking a plaster on it, but then left it for someone else to make the unpopular amputation when it went gangrenous.

    The notion however that teachers are overpaid and fortunate , I can't agree with, but wecare in the position where the state simply cannot afford it's outlay
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • KaiseKaise Posts: 2,498
    The notion however that teachers are overpaid and fortunate

    Can we add the caveat of "some" teachers, my mum works in a school and their management structure is re-censored -u-loss, but then my mate has progressed over 2 years in a school to be head of music, and is therefore paid well and for some reason his lesson planning doesnt take him that long?!

    I suppose its a case by case thing
  • RaymondavalonRaymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Whassup Maggots?!?

    Let's keep the gúten morgen Thread politics free :¬)

    A day in Surrey today, will be heading home tonight, so let's hope the M25/M40/M42/M6 all behave. It's lovely and sunny out today, I should be on my bike today

    MissBint, I have 7 pairs of gloves. Perhaps it's a fetish, but I have a pair for all riding occasions, although I do prefer the armoured variety with nice carbon knuckle protectors.
    I suggest you get your MTB wardrobe as adventurous as your baroque wardrobe :¬)
  • Morning. Last night celebrated Indep Day here in Motown - the genteels in Rochester don't do it at weekends because they get pissheads turning up. People asked why I was celebtating and I passed on the UK's official view that we are glad to see the back of them.

    Run - now - Clinton River Trail at dawn.

    Dealing with strange work and complicated engineers with PhDs who are teaching cars to navigate themselves and talk.

    Economy Class. Then queue at T4 immigration for the few that did not say - let's take Friday off as well..
  • spongtasticspongtastic Posts: 3,131
    kaiser83 wrote:
    The notion however that teachers are overpaid and fortunate

    Can we add the caveat of "some" teachers, my mum works in a school and their management structure is re-censored -u-loss, but then my mate has progressed over 2 years in a school to be head of music, and is therefore paid well and for some reason his lesson planning doesnt take him that long?!

    I suppose its a case by case thing

    ^very much this

    I think as with all things, some do more than others. In the schools I looked after I'd be there at 7.30 and there'd be one or two in at that time, the rest at about 8.30, then at 4pm the place would be deserted apart from a small select few. Even on their 'training' days there's only be a few in, the rest would be off getting pissed (apparently).

    I can remember talking to the bursar one day between christmas and new year (we'd be the only two on site) and (apparently) the teachers couldn't be forced to attend more than one meeting a week, didn't have to cover, and didn't have to do after school stuffs. It was only the dedicated few who did all this. The deputy head at one of the three was like this, he'd scare the living c**p out of even the most arrogant Clacton chav child.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

    Who are you calling inbred?
  • GhallTN6GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    Let's keep the gúten morgen Thread politics free :¬)

    sorry.. but

    I have a couple of good friends who work for the MOD in Whitehall, nothing special, just admin workers (as is most of Whitehall), after 20 years each of service they are still in relatively low paid non managerial positions, and they are the first to admit they have no ambition to take any responsibilities, they get to work for 09.15 and leave at 1630 and censored like hell when they don't make the 1709 train.

    If they stayed, they of course would get there guaranteed final salary pension, or, as they have done, are putting in for voluntary redundancy, and they are both in line for about… 100k (yes each), plus whatever pension they have accumulated (which will never go down because it’s public service so guaranteed)

    On the other hand, I know my mum as a social worker put in the hours, got a masters to advance her career to a very high position in the services and did a hell of a lot of good, so she deserves what pension she got.

    Me.. well I'm f*cked being in the private sector working for a company that doesn't do pensions.. but that's my fault for not staying in the bloated policy ridden Public Service postition I had five years ago!
  • Good morning (just), watching the strike coverage on the BBC..... Anyone would think it's the apocalypse for some kids to have to spend an extra day at home! Er didn't we have an extra bank holiday this year and er next year as well......
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • spongtasticspongtastic Posts: 3,131
    Good morning (just), watching the strike coverage on the BBC..... Anyone would think it's the apocalypse for some kids to have to spend an extra day at home! Er didn't we have an extra bank holiday this year and er next year as well......

    Haven't you realised that even a heard of cows standing on your front garden pulls us all further towards the final judgement?
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

    Who are you calling inbred?
  • TartanyakTartanyak Posts: 2,988
    On a completely different note, I see the banner type doodad in your sig. I'm glad I don't have one. Since filling my car up, I've just pootled around. Come into the office once, gone to the gym a few times. Not much at all. 50 miles. My fuel's down to the 3/4 mark... So about 17 or 18 litres gone.

    Which brings me to teh next thing. Why the hell does the stupid gym not have somewhere (possibly stupid) more secure to put my stupid bike eh? Then I'd not waste fuel getting there! Stupid.

    I suppose I could ask them, but that would require some kind of interaction not on a forum.

    Maybe I cuold tell them to make a forum...
  • sandy hillsandy hill Posts: 390
    Salutations plebs.

    A day off for me. Somewhat immobilised from leaving parts of my left leg and right arm on Tunnel Hill on Tuesday night. Additional meh supplied by the insect bites received whilst fixing the causal puncture.

    Todays lunch consists painkillers, antihistamines, and Boursin.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • ThewaylanderThewaylander Posts: 8,767
    Morning all peeps.

    Good days at the moment, :)

    And got no sympathy for the public sectors, there pension plans have needed there teeth kicked in for years, adn the admin side of our public servies is horrendously bloated and ineffiecent.

    I still maintain if most of our public services were run like private contracts, we'd have sacked the current contractors and hired someone better.
  • GhallTN6GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    these things always make me laugh..

    Now if it was a light bulb in your house, and money was a bit tight, well, you’d compare prices and opt for the cheapest option. Or you might weigh up the costs versus the quality, and being the co-conscious person you are, look at the longer term impact, and opt for the energy efficiency one that is going to save you money in the long term, even if it does cost a wee bit more now.

    But in the public sector, you’d need someone from the great and the good to set up a wee committee to look at how to change the light bulb. They’d visit your house and many others and ask you questions about the light bulbs you and your neighbours currently use. The committee would have lots of meetings and look at research before making a conclusion on how the light bulb should be changed.

    They would pass a report to the politicians who would promptly pass it to their civil servants and ask them to work out what to do with it. They might have to set up a wee committee too to help them think about that. Some months later, another report would be produced and the politicians would make a speech committing to changing the light bulb but regretting that there was no new money for doing so – thanks to the other politicians – and the cost of changing it would have to be met from the existing budget.

    So back to the public sector then with the recommendations on how to change the light bulb but no money to do so. The various departments and agencies would gather round the light fitting and work out that yes, someone does indeed have to change the light bulb but who has authority to do so and more importantly, who is going to pay for that privilege? Every time a budget holder is identified, an assessment is needed - often bringing in other colleagues to look at things like health and safety – and after that assessment, a quick look at the budget would confirm that there wasn’t enough to pay for the light bulb this month.

    Back to the partnership then and many more meetings, and humming and hawing about whose responsibility this light bulb is before eventually the original budget holder manages to come up with the money after all.

    Then, a job sheet has to go through to the relevant department to get the light bulb changed and because this is a partnership approach, that requires a whole new way of working than if the budget holder was commissioning the task for itself. And more people to sign the job off of course. By which time, the budget situation has changed again and the original budget holder does not have the money after all.

    Meantime, fed up of sitting in the dark, you complain to your local MSP and he or she expresses indignation and fires off a letter to the relevant Minister. A question is asked that leads to a parliamentary debate about how long it takes to change a light bulb, and the Minister concerned shrugs his or her shoulders and says what can we do? We met with the partnership and they promised to change the light bulb and we can’t interfere with their right or responsibility to change the light bulb. But we do agree that the light bulb must be changed and so we will get our people to investigate why the light bulb hasn’t been changed.

    Along comes another public body which investigates the matter and looks at the problem, interviews all the people involved in the partnership and produces a report, saying of course the light bulb should be changed but the public sector agencies are not looking for the most efficient and effective way of changing the light bulb. The politicians agree and consider that the light bulb now needs to be changed as a matter of urgency.

    The partnership looks at it again and concurs, but thinks that implementing the recommended way of funding and changing the light bulb needs a whole new process - and maybe more people involved with different skill sets? New people are duly brought into the partnership and some months and many meetings later, the new process is agreed, a budget is identified, a job sheet is produced, and the light bulb is changed.

    But what’s this? It’s different from the original light bulb proposed and in fact, doesn’t seem to differ very much from the light bulb you had before. In fact, it doesn’t save any money and isn’t an energy efficiency one. There are neither short term nor long term savings to be made and actually, an awful lot of money has been spent along the way.

    Do you complain? Of course not. You just thank your lucky stars you now have a working light bulb and hope to goodness it doesn’t blow anytime soon.
  • king_jeffersking_jeffers Posts: 694
    kaiser83 wrote:
    The notion however that teachers are overpaid and fortunate

    Can we add the caveat of "some" teachers, my mum works in a school and their management structure is re-censored -u-loss, but then my mate has progressed over 2 years in a school to be head of music, and is therefore paid well and for some reason his lesson planning doesnt take him that long?!

    I suppose its a case by case thing

    Its like any job some people care about what they do others just go f**k it. Also to be fair I can't imagine a music lesson or PE for that matter taking much planning. :D
  • Don't forget the copious health and safety forms you'd have to fill out. Not to make anything safer but to cover everyone's [email protected]
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • KaiseKaise Posts: 2,498
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    these things always make me laugh.. *insert rant*

    you can tell you worked in the public sector
  • VWsurfbumVWsurfbum Posts: 7,959
    Morning,
    Been Fecking busy again this morning, left the office just after 06:30, worked like a illeagal imigrant and got back to the office for 14:30, then typed up all the rubbish i'd done then got on here to read what you numptys have been up to.

    I agree there should be reform, but i dont agree with striking! if our school had striked and i had to take a day off at short notice i would lose that days pay! that would really pee me off! plus as already stated, they should appreciate getting a pension when a hefty wedge of people out there dont, me included!

    anywhoo, i have been in london today, you gotta love the Chicks in london in the summer! 8)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • woodnutwoodnut Posts: 562
    Good on the teachers for striking, they work damned hard and deserve a good pension.
    I work in the private sector and have had the censored kicked out of my pension, doesn't mean I want to see it happen to everyone else though.
    There's a lot of bleating right wing crackpots on this forum who p1ss and whine about how hard they work and how much tax they pay. Get over yourselves for gods sake, you work in offices not bl00dy lead mines.
    Pussies.
  • MontevideoguyMontevideoguy Posts: 2,336
    Good day spastics!!

    Weird seeing these strikes in the UK. Been getting used to them over here and it's not fun. They strike for anything (best one being when they strike on bank holidays so they don't lose a day from their holiday allowance by taking it off). I can see both points of view with this argument. My own take is that we're proper up the creek. We live in a speculation based society (where the speculators get bailed out by the governments) and until this changes we're screwed. Doesn't matter who you vote for either...they're all bloody useless and differing shades of brown.


    As for today, Wee bit of work (well...when I say work I mean pissing about on youtube) and then shopping. Treating myself to a Burger King for lunch though...happy days
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
Sign In or Register to comment.