How do I campaign for a new cycle path?

jamm13dodger
jamm13dodger Posts: 106
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I have an 11.5 mile commute. Almost all of it is served with very good cycle paths (unusual I know) there is however a short stretch of about 2.5 miles which has no cycle path. Lots of cyclists use this route and it's a very fast section of A road. I'd like to start a campaign to get it changed to cycle path but have no idea of how to go about it.

It's just north of Cambridge on near Anglesey Abbey so I guess Cambridgeshire County Council?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Rob.

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Is there actually space for a cycle lane, or are you just going to end up with one of those really narrow ones that's neither use nor ornament and just makes life more difficult and dangerous than the current arrangement?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sustrans is a good place to start I am told, however I've lost all confidence in them after they spent a wedge trying to get a new cycle path put in cross country near me that just replicated an existing good path but shortened the 4 mile journey by 440 yards, common sense prevailed but the up front investment money was already gone!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    it's a very fast section of A road. I'd like to start a campaign to get it changed to cycle path

I imagine it would be chaos if an A road suddenly changed into Cycle path with little warning. :D

Good luck - Local council and sustrans would be starting points but it will be a long process.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Set up an ArseBook and Twatter campaign
    They seem to be the answer to everything these days!
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Where abouts exactly mate? My commute is Ely to Cambridge, and I'd love a cycle path, but I cant see them shelling out for a cycle 17 mile cycle path at the moment...
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    It's the B1102 from Lode to Stow-cum-Quy. Plenty of space for a path on the edge.

I'll start by having a rummage round the county website and sustrans.

Cheers, Rob.
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    You are short cutting the NCN in that area. I know its longer, but have you tried following the NCN from Lode into Bottisham, then Stow-cum-Quy ?

There are also otherlink routes between the NCN 11 and 51.
    See here:
    http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=13&la ... &layers=B0
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Don't campaign for a new cycle path. It will be poorly planned, badly maintained, unlit at night, and, because you will have to stop to negotiate a gate every 100 yards (so that motorcyclists cannot use it), will double your journey time. It will also become blocked by peds with prams and shopping trollies and a haven for the local hoodies to lurk on.

Campaign for better provision for cycles on roads, which is where thier true home is and where they are quickest and easiest to use, after all, the road is nearly always the most direct route.. How about asking for a 40 or 50mph speed limit on the A road; if it is narrow enough for the motor traffic to be bothering cyclists, it probably needs a limit anyway.
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    Stow-cum-Quy

You have no idea how this place name made me giggle.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Sustrans , Join the CTC, Find sympathetic local Councillors that cycle .

Good luck.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    You have no chance.

Nobody is going to spend money on a cycle route when there is a parallel national cycle network route already. The council would be better off spending the money creating a path in a different area.

Worst case, popping into Bottisham from Lode adds 2km. If you adjust your route and come via Reach on the 51 (rather than via Lode on the 11) it adds 1km.

Having said all of that, I use the main road too but I don't come through in rush hour.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    all cyclin facilities are bollo$ anyway
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    click here for research from around the world where safety stats before and after intallation of cycle paths exists:

www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/research.html