utterly utterly utterly p****d off with my bike

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
How delicate and fairy like are these stupid bloody road bikes.

I have posted multiple times on this forum about my 4 month old bike, including a recent thread called "every ride a new noise".

Well I am utterly fed up with mine - I came so very close to just smashing the damn thing up tonight.

Did an easy 40 miles on Sunday with relative ease - a few cracks and creaks, but i'm well used to that.

Put it away, and it has been secure and untouched.

Just took it out - I live at the top of a hill so all ways are down - and within 30 seconds there was the most massive cracking sound with every pedal - loud as in 35mph downhill with a breezy headwind and I could hear (and feel) massive CRACK CRACK CRACK with every pedal - only when pedaling with more than 50% effort.

Stopped three times - took the rear wheel off, loosened & reset the saddle & seat post - tried everything with no joy - turned back half a mile from home and pedaled back up the hill home - crack crack crack.

I have never been so close to trashing the f*cking thing.

It seems that unless I completely strip, clean and lube it EVERY time I ride, this happens.

What is the bloody point???

Utterly and completely fed up. I JUST WANT TO RIDE not to be a sodding mechanic.

Comments

• Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    i think you should take it to a good bike shop and get them to look it over as it dont sound normal to have this many issues with a new bike...
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Secteur
    edited June 2011
    OK, had a shower and feeling slightly less ranty and more rational now... slightly...

Seriously, this is wrecking my new passion - I used to go out 6 nights a week and now I look for excuses not to go as I know it'll be a journey of cracks, clunks and creaks.

I spent £1k on the best bike I could to try and make sure I had few problems.

I have been dreaming of buying something really special next year as my progress is much better than I'd ever thought, but i'm now far too scared to throw more money down the drain in case I get another lemon.

the bike shop think i'm mad - too embarassed to go back there now as they have done so many check on it (for free) and never found anything, but I am not imagining it.

I look after it so well - nay treasure it - and it's been nothing but trouble.

feeling irrationally disheartened about it all tonight!

EDIT - my last 3 threads (just to show i'm not making it up!);

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

• gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Bad luck with the noises but the place you got it from should be sorting all these problems out. I'd leave it with them for a few days and explain all the issues, should give them plenty of time to fix it properly. Are they a competent bunch?
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just take a step back.... and of course back to bike shop... but the list of possible causes isnt limitless, so take heart.

Things can work loose and do... alloy frame, I assume?
    Should be sound.. the bits that hang off it, write a list and check..
    Wheels, spokes, hubs, cassette
    Headset, forks, bars, stem
    Cranks, pedals, bottom bracket
    Seat, seatpost
    Front mech
    Rear mech

Front brake
    Rear brake

Cable runs

Check each 1 for creakiness by giving each component some welly.... either that or make sure things feel tight and lubed. You will need a small assortment of tools to do this yourself.
    Something is not up to spec somewhere.

Major sources of creeaks: seatpost,pedals,bottom bracket...
    anything missed?
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    You say it's ruining your new passion; so I assume you're new to road cycling. Have you asked an experienced cyclist to ride the bike & give an opinion.

From your description it doesn't sound right but some of the noises could be 'normal'.

Just a thought.
  • mokl
    mokl Posts: 22
    A good list above, but also check the chainring bolts are tight. Try loosening them and then doing them back up - sometimes works. As your bike is still pretty new it's not that surprising to me that something probably needs tightening or adjusting. Unfortunately bikes do develop creaks and noises, and it can take a while to eliminate them.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Sounds like the bottom bracket. I have the same problem on my BMC Streetfire. Evans found the cause of the problem, with a lot of help from me, but seem incapable of fixing it. I could keep going back and insisting they fix it once and for all, but to be honest, my local bike shop could sort the problem once and for all for not a lot and I have a lot more faith in their ability to do a decent job.

I totally feel your pain - a noise like that ruins your enjoyment of a bicycle. Spare a thought for me - I commute 40 miles a day on mine, so I have that noise for two hours a day, which is why I thought sod it, I'll just the problem fixed once and for all by a reputable local bike shop.
  • Secteur
    edited June 2011
    Going away for a week this weekend, so will have a look at it after that.

Was hoping to get in an hour before work tomorrow and Friday before I go away.

It's an alloy frame with carbon forks & chain stays also carbon seat post (this bike --> http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=11651).

I wonder if I've over/ undertightened the bolt where the carbon seatpost goes into the frame?

I tried cycling standing up, and it still made the noise, so I wonder if it isnt that.

It just seems to be a constant search for the new noise, which I never find but after cleaning & tinkering it just goes for a day or so until the next one pops up. Just really tired of it.

Have only been cycling for 4 months, but have lost 3 stones, found a real passion, something I seem to be really good at (probably the only thing I am good at, if i'm honest, which is why I love it so much) and I literally fall asleep every night thinking about riding, but the reality of it is becoming a misery!!
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    If its only 4 months old it is still under warranty; take the bloody thing back and tell 'em to fix it or replace it pronto!
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Take it back and get the shop to sort it out, shirley ius stll under warranty?
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • Secteur
    edited June 2011
    oh yes, my LBS to their credit have been fantastic and have never even talked about money every time i've taken it in to them.

My only concern is that all the mechanics are very young and seem "BMX'y". They all have bike mechanic qualifications, and I am probably being judgemental, but they all seem quite cocky and I am not sure it gets really properly looked at. Plus they all probably take the piss out of me for being either neurotic, unlucky or just plain stupid!

I suppose I am at their mercy - maybe i'll take it in tomorrow and say i'll collect it after my holiday.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    ive just built up a bike, so any creaks are down to me. been out the last coupkle of days testing and tweaking it. all went well then I heard a kind of rasping when i turned the pedals but only at a certain speed, now i know from experience that this is due to me not tightening the cranks enough. did that and sound gone.

So what i'm sayng is why not check the bije systematically, as someone said above make a list and check through it, you'll soon isolat ethe prob...and please be nice to your bike, it loves you really
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mokl
    mokl Posts: 22
    How do you wash your bike? Might sound like a daft question, but it is not that hard to blast all the grease out of your bearings etc. Could this be an issue? I have been guilty over over-judicious use of muc-off on my mountain bike in the past - it's amazing how quickly that stuff will strip out a bottom bracket or freewheel!
  • Secteur
    I might have been guilty of over-judicious use of muc-off... when I first got it, I wanted to keep it immaculate, and I used a lot of it. I later learned on here it's not such a good idea.

So, I admit it might be part my fault, but even still, after 4 months it should be well sealed enough to not be completely degreased after half-a-dozen applications of muc off...
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Can't you just ask one of the lads from your LBS to take it for a ride so they can see for themselves?
  • Secteur
    It happens in the dry.

Which part of the cleat/pedal could it be?

It sounds like it's coming from the cassette / chain / BB area, but I know that sounds can appear to come from anywhere on a bike, especially when they are only heard on the move.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • Secteur
    sadly yes :-(
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Sounds daft, but to reiterate...pedals, cleats and even shoes. Most of the annoying noises encountered so far have been down to them. Keep trying - don't bin the bike just yet!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    as someone previously mentioned,ask one of the shop staff to take it for a decent ride and see for themselves.Not just around the block but a fair few miles.
  • I totally sympathise. I bought a Spesh Tarmac and the noise coming from what I thought was the BB drove me to the point where I dreaded riding the thing. After lengthy, lengthy fiddling, my loud creak turned out to be from the front QR. I have to have it really tight - only then does the creaking stop. Persevere, you'll get to the bottom of it in the end.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    sounds like a bottom bracket issue to me too, could be simply not enough grease on the contact points. I had similar issues on a specialized allez some time ago and I totally understand your frustration with dealing with a bike shop who makes you feel like your bonkers.

TBH i would just get the tools and do it myself, plenty of guides online. if its Evans Cycles then I would definitely do it myself! i realise its additional expense on tools but if you intend on continue cycling you may as well start to learn sooner rather than later.
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    To echo Lef's comments, I too had the same creaky problem on a brand spanking new Allez elite. Took it to evans once and they thought it was pedals whihc gave me a nice excuse to buy SPD SL's and new shoes. However, the creaking noise persisted and it was a poorly greased BB. Take it out and generously smear it with lithium grease.

Hope this helps,

Fred.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Secteur wrote:
    OK, had a shower and feeling slightly less ranty and more rational now... slightly...

Seriously, this is wrecking my new passion - I used to go out 6 nights a week and now I look for excuses not to go as I know it'll be a journey of cracks, clunks and creaks.

I spent £1k on the best bike I could to try and make sure I had few problems.

I have been dreaming of buying something really special next year as my progress is much better than I'd ever thought, but i'm now far too scared to throw more money down the drain in case I get another lemon.

the bike shop think i'm mad - too embarassed to go back there now as they have done so many check on it (for free) and never found anything, but I am not imagining it.

I look after it so well - nay treasure it - and it's been nothing but trouble.

feeling irrationally disheartened about it all tonight!

EDIT - my last 3 threads (just to show i'm not making it up!);

You should stop being so dramatic with everything. It's just a few creaks. Yeah they can be sometimes a bit annoying, but it doesn't mean there are huge problems, or that something isn't right.

Pedals normally can be solved by spraying them down with a degreaser, then inject fresh lube in, if it is the pedals themselves. Could be a number of things.

Your riding a bike, their not built to be silent, and there will be noises. Don't let it hold you back from riding just because of some groans. Worse comes to worse, pop headphones in!
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    hstiles wrote:
    Sounds like the bottom bracket. I have the same problem on my BMC Streetfire. Evans found the cause of the problem, with a lot of help from me, but seem incapable of fixing it. I could keep going back and insisting they fix it once and for all, but to be honest, my local bike shop could sort the problem once and for all for not a lot and I have a lot more faith in their ability to do a decent job.

I totally feel your pain - a noise like that ruins your enjoyment of a bicycle. Spare a thought for me - I commute 40 miles a day on mine, so I have that noise for two hours a day, which is why I thought sod it, I'll just the problem fixed once and for all by a reputable local bike shop.

Bluddy hell if I did that distance in that time, all I would hear is the blood pounding in my ears :shock:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Wear headphones :lol:
  • Do not dispair, you will fix this!

FWIW, I had a similar problem on my mountain bike soon after I bought it. It turned out that the bearing cones in the rear hub were not being held by the lock nuts, so there was a fair amount of play developing. This was not noticable with the wheel on the bike, but was obvious with the wheel off to allow gentle manipulation of the axle. A quick strip, clean and rebuild fixed the problem once and for all.

Whatever the problem turns out to be you will get it fixed in the end, and along the way you might learn a lot about how the innards of your bike operate too!

Whatever you do don't bin the bike, nothing beats the feeling you get on that first proper ride on a fully sorted bike!

Good luck!
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and vice versa).
  • Secteur
    It's just a few creaks. Yeah they can be sometimes a bit annoying, but it doesn't mean there are huge problems, or that something isn't right.

Believe me, last night it was more than a "few creaks" - it was a persistent CRACK that was loud enough to be heard going downhill into a headwind, and I could feel the crack through my saddle & pedals.

Not minor!

But then when I briefly checked it over (three separate times) on the roadside, I couldn't find anything obviously wrong, which makes it all the more irritating - that it could be something so subtle making such a hell of a loud and disconcerting noise.

Have just emailed the LBS asking to drop it off for a week whilst I'm away and for it to be properly tested, stripped cleaned & repaired in whatever way is neccessary.
  • cavemud
    cavemud Posts: 21
    Dont lose faith, your just going through the steep part of a learning curve.

You say your not a mechanic but that shouldn't stop you learning about the bike and learning to identify noises yourself. Being able to identify and fix simple problems is a great skill to have and mqy often be the difference between a quick tweak and a long walk home.

Your noise could be many things. Lots of good suggestions so far.

You didn't say what frame material you have. I have found that carbon has a great ability to amplify sound. Even the slightest creak can sound horrendous.

Axles in dropouts can be the source of some nasty noises. Try popping a bit of grease between the axle and the dropout. Turned out to be the source of some awful noises on the girlfriends bike.

Good luck. keep the faith.
  • cavemud
    cavemud Posts: 21
    Dont lose faith, your just going through the steep part of a learning curve.

You say your not a mechanic but that shouldn't stop you learning about the bike and learning to identify noises yourself. Being able to identify and fix simple problems is a great skill to have and mqy often be the difference between a quick tweak and a long walk home.

Your noise could be many things. Lots of good suggestions so far.

You didn't say what frame material you have. I have found that carbon has a great ability to amplify sound. Even the slightest creak can sound horrendous.

Axles in dropouts can be the source of some nasty noises. Try popping a bit of grease between the axle and the dropout. Turned out to be the source of some awful noises on the girlfriends bike.

Good luck. keep the faith.