Track pump recommendations.

JJC2
JJC2 Posts: 11
edited June 2011 in Workshop
Hi,

Could anyone recommend a good quality track pump please. My budget is up to about £40 and I need to get up to 125 psi?

One I've heard mentioned is a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II. Does anyone use this particular model and would you recommend it.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• I have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II and its fine, but having used it for a while I wish I'd bought a track pump with the pressure guage at the top of the barrel rather than the bottom to make it easier to read.

"Joe Blow Turbo" I think.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    I've a Joe Blow sport, had it for a few years, and tbh i wouldn't buy one again or reccomend it. It needs to be taken apart every six months or so when it refuses to inflate tubes, unfortunately it gives no warning it's going to pack in either.
  • MattL30
    MattL30 Posts: 28
    I bought a metal tube model from Argos for about £15 nearly 3 years ago. Easily one of the best purchases I've ever made. Never ever failed... or been serviced!!
  • JJC2
    Thanks for the advice.
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Topeak Joe Blow Sport II +1

Always been fine for me.

Friends Aldi £10 pump -1

Fine up to about 80psi then it creaks and bulges and sounds like the pressure guage is about to blow off in my face (no one likes anything blowing off in their face) so fine for mountain bikes but not roadies.
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    I have a Joe blow sport II and its great. The locking mechanism disengages the valve before you remove the pump so you don't lose any air and it is far easier to use than other track pumps I have used and feels more sturdy because of the metal base. I bought it based on reviews being all good that I found but obviusly some people think differnetly.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I bought a cheap track pump from Aldi. It simply doesn't work with Presta valves properly, as it wants to rip the valve pin out. Utter waste of money (£15)

I now have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II, about £30. It's awesomely fabulous and just works brilliantly.
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • Joe Blow Sport II is one of our best sellers in our shop and I have one myself, however if you want to spend a tiny bit more, the Lezyne pumps are very good indeed. The one closest to your budget is the

Lezyne - Classic Floor Drive - Track Pump - Wood Handle - 160psi - Black

Lezyne and Topeak are in fierce competition right now, the designs that are coming out are quite similar, my personal view... If I could spend the extra I would got for a Lezyne, I love their colours and natural materials, i.e no less plastic, more metal and wood.

Quality wise, we have not had anyone return any Lezyne products or as yet had to send out replacement parts. Bare in mind that at some point you will have to probably replace the valves and seals these aren't that expensive but from an industry point of view sometimes Topeak stock is harder to get hold of quickly.

I was using my Joe Blow to pumps up all my scouts bikes last night, I told them to have them pumped up before the ride. Most people seem to run their tyres at 20psi!!! (banging head on table)
    Peter
    Ride like I drive - In the middle of the road at 30mph :)

Technical Help bod and general dogsbody at my LBS in Oxted Surrey, Petra Cycles http://www.petracycles.co.uk
  • Joe Blow Sport II is one of our best sellers in our shop and I have one myself, however if you want to spend a tiny bit more, the Lezyne pumps are very good indeed. The one closest to your budget is the

Lezyne - Classic Floor Drive - Track Pump - Wood Handle - 160psi - Black

Lezyne and Topeak are in fierce competition right now, the designs that are coming out are quite similar, my personal view... If I could spend the extra I would got for a Lezyne, I love their colours and natural materials, i.e no less plastic, more metal and wood.

Quality wise, we have not had anyone return any Lezyne products or as yet had to send out replacement parts. Bare in mind that at some point you will have to probably replace the valves and seals these aren't that expensive but from an industry point of view sometimes Topeak stock is harder to get hold of quickly.

I was using my Joe Blow to pumps up all my scouts bikes last night, I told them to have them pumped up before the ride. Most people seem to run their tyres at 20psi!!! (banging head on table)
    Peter
    Ride like I drive - In the middle of the road at 30mph :)

Technical Help bod and general dogsbody at my LBS in Oxted Surrey, Petra Cycles http://www.petracycles.co.uk
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    ...Lezyne - Classic Floor Drive - Track Pump - Wood Handle - 160psi - Black...

<thread hijack>

I was thinking of getting one of these. I already have a track pump (unknown make/years old) but the valve attachment is a bit hit & miss & I end up pumping with one hand & holding the attachment straight with the other. I read the Lezyne trackpumps have screw-on valve attachments. Are these as good as they sound? Do they swivel or do you end up twisting the hose around?

Also interested in whether the gauge on the Classic is accurate & whether the CNC is 'better' or just higher pressure. (I have no intention to get tyres needing more than 120psi)

TIA

</thread hijack> soz :oops:
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    I think you can by replacement hoses and valve attachments for topeaks and many other pumps which may fit your pump and save you having to buy a whole new pump.

I think screw on sounds like quite a lot of hassle then just the press and flick of the topeaks (especially with cold hands in a shed or garage) but having no actual experience in Lezyne pumps I am just guessing.
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    Bit expensive but very durable is a SKS rennkompressor. I've had one for about 4 years now.

It says its good for over 200 psi !! I run at 115psi easy.

The only things I've had to do are:-

1) Unscrew and grease the plunger. Once per year.

2) The hose at the head has split x 2. Just get a small jubilee clip, cut the spilt hose back 1 inch re-insert head tighten clip and you're good to go.

You can can all parts spare. example links below.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase

http://www.cyclebasket.com/m5b69s262p13 ... sor_/RS_GB
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    + 1 Joe Blow

I've got the Turbo I think. Excellent.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • JJC2
    Thanks all.

I've ordered a Joe Blow Sport II today :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    nother happy Joe Blow Sport II owner here.

Very sturdy and easy to get tyres up to silly pressures if you're that way inclined. The fact that the gauge is at floor level isn't an issue for me; there's a big red pointer you can set at the desired pressure, so even if you can't read the numbers you can see when the needle's there.
  • JJC2
    My new Joe Blow Sport II arrived this morning. I'm very impressed indeed.
    Looks like a solid, professional bit of kit.
    Off out cycling now my tyres have air in them :D:D

Thanks all.
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    just ordered a joe blow sport 2 :D
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    This forum really ought to take commission of some sort :D
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • JJC2
    just ordered a joe blow sport 2