Are these forks okay?

anditsinthere
anditsinthere Posts: 210
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
Are these forks okay for my 18' frame Vulcan? Also do i need a star nut to fit them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rockshox-Reba-SL- ... _500wt_945

:lol:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the steerer is long enough then yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    Yes indeed they are. Just check that with your headset and stem in place that the steerer tube is long enough, the Vulcan is designed around a 100mm travel fork., I recently fitted some Toras to a vulcan disc spec frame, the steerer tube was only 155mm and that was perfect, cant see a 18 inch frames head tube is gonna be that much longer. you will prob need a star nut if there isn't one in the fork already.
  • Paulkingk wrote:
    Yes indeed they are. Just check that with your headset and stem in place that the steerer tube is long enough, the Vulcan is designed around a 100mm travel fork., I recently fitted some Toras to a vulcan disc spec frame, the steerer tube was only 155mm and that was perfect, cant see a 18 inch frames head tube is gonna be that much longer. you will prob need a star nut if there isn't one in the fork already.

Which Tora did you fit? 302? I think the star nut is supplied with the forks, are they straight forward to fit?

:wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Starnut normally comes with a headset not forks, but they are £2.99 at Halfords.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Any particular brand the star nuts or are they all the same brand? Halfords said they would fit them for £10 anyway depends on a scale of 1-10 difficulty they are to fit.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably a 3.
    In my experience, a starnut is a starnut.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Defo a Reba fork then or a Tora which are guaranteed to fit??
  • nicklouse
    Defo a Reba fork then or a Tora which are guaranteed to fit??

err a tora is just as likely to fit as the reba.

AS LONG AS THE STEERER IS LONG ENOUGH.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Paulkingk
    Judging by the bewilderment, £10 may be well spent to have them fitted
  • Paulkingk wrote:
    Judging by the bewilderment, £10 may be well spent to have them fitted

i was thinking that, id rather pay someone the hassle of sorting them if they dont fit first time!
  • Paulkingk
    yep you'll prob have to cut the steerer tube down, getting a star nut in straight can be tricky if you don't have the tool.............So pay the man!
  • Paul you are correct there mate, Reba it is then! :wink: oh and white as well 8)
  • nicklouse
    Paul you are correct there mate, Reba it is then! :wink: oh and white as well 8)

so have you measure your current steerer?