The strangest thing you have ever carried on your bike

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Just seen a guy ride past my window carrying a large sun lounger.

I once carried an ironing board when Mrs WBW had some pressing need.

Anyone beat these?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    A Cylon helmet
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • A roman candle stuck into the bar end that I lit as I cycled home from school.

Left teaching shortly afterwards.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    myself
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited June 2011

I once carried an ironing board when Mrs WBW had some pressing need.

Oh dear.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • myself

You win. :shock:
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    a 2ft long catfish
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mkirby wrote:
    a 2ft long catfish

Is this you? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Skis, over my shoulder with boots in backpack on my back, while at uni. Had to cycle across town to get a lift to the dry slope.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    a trailer full of soil

we drilled through the top tube an attached a trailer we made to help build our jumps n ramps

it turns out its ridiculously hard to ride a bike that's about 12ft long an full of soil
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Lawn mower, 160lbs of compost, copper boiler tank...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I've done skis a few times, another bike, a fire extinguisher (9l water), a wheel I was building (drew some comments about carrying a spare), guitar case, computer (mini-tower, not laptop), various DIY equipment (shelves, pipe, saws, drills etc)... Must be others that arn't coming to mind at the moment, too.
    Not all of the above at the same time, mind.
    I've cycled in a wetsuit (friend's house to Watersports Centre), too: bet that looked a bit strange.

Nothing close to the third-world examples you'll find if you go looking: people carrying haystacks, or whole families on bikes!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    2 Hula Hoops last night. Part of a record breaking attempt yesterday (where I got a badge) so was quite proud of the stares!
  • grantstats
    grantstats Posts: 43
    A Jack Hammer from the Tool Hire Shops- don't recommend it. Centre of gravity was all over the place.....
    FCN 4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    There's a dutchman down the road from me. I saw him carrying a few sheets of ply on his bike. He wasn't riding the bike in a conventional style, more scooting. One foot on a pedal, ply on the other side of the bike. Front of the ply held in place by the sweep of the bars.
    Lucky for him it wasn't a windy day. That was mightily impressive.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Probably a 40Kg barbell & dumbell set from Argos. I couldn't actually ride the bike, but I'd never have got the package back to my digs without it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I used to cycle with a 'cello on my back.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 Hula Hoops last night. Part of a record breaking attempt yesterday (where I got a badge)
    A Blue Peter Badge- part of the last episode from TV centre record I assume?

My BP badge is 36 years old........

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Not me, but a friend brought along his dog on a gentle off road MTB ride out. The dog tired quite quicky so Pete carried the dog back across his shoulders.

The dog was / is a fully grown lab!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    A photographic enlarger stood up bungeed to my rear rack.

10 litres of trade white gloss on one handlebar & a roll of lining paper balanced across it
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    MarcBC wrote:
    Not me, but a friend brought along his dog on a gentle off road MTB ride out. The dog tired quite quicky so Pete carried the dog back across his shoulders.

The dog was / is a fully grown lab!

When I were a lad we used to take our old dog out on 18 mile MTB rides through the Chilterns. She used to run along with us and even learned to drink from our water bottles!

As for strange things carried on the bike, I've carried various items back from B&Q like a BBQ, a set plastic shelves. Have also cycled back with a cake from Paul for an anniversary dinner with the other half, but unfortunately it didn't really survive the bouncing. One year I tried to carry some plants from the local garden centre back on the bike but they didn't do too well either....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    a fully kitted bergan and webbing while cycling in uniform.

Strangely didn't get a single motorist giving me hassle :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    A big spikey garden tool, no cars came close on that ride!

IMG_1162-1.jpg
  • will3 wrote:
    Me too.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Other way round - I've seen a guy on a moped with a bike on him.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    a complele mountain bike strapped to my rucksack :)
  • Barteos wrote:
    a complele mountain bike strapped to my rucksack :)

Cool idea for mixed comutes - carry the mtb while on road, then swap over for the rough stuff. If nothing else it would remove any justification for hybrid :wink:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Cross country skis. Harder than you might imagine to carry.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    will3 wrote:
    Me too.

I saw a guy with a guitar strapped to his pannier rack last week, the neck was sticking diagonally out into the traffic... I was thinking 1 tight squeeze and that'll be snapped off... Either that or a car will take it out
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    4 bricks. Sounds simple, but isn't.

Was a young lad working with my dad and we were 4 bricks shorts, so I headed off on my bike to get them. The plastic bags the old fella gave me lasted 2 mins, so had to stack them on the handlebars with my hands on top. Steering was interesting, braking impossible.

Eventually got back to the job and my dad was finished and gone. The bricks were under the board he was mixing the cement on. No note or anything, so didn't even know where to go next (this was normal). I went home, so he refused to pay me for the whole day (this was also normal).
    exercise.png
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Hmm, it either has to be a rowing blade (oar), carried jousting-style when one of my crews broke a blade just before a race...

...or 6' wide shelves, bungeed to my rear rack. This one might win as I then proceeded to cycle right across Edinburgh. The cars were surprisingly accommodating!
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.