Keswick - The Old Coach Road and others...

ClimbBoy
ClimbBoy Posts: 105
edited June 2011 in Routes
Hi all

Am having a long weekend in the Lakes - based at Keswick and am thinking of doing this route as I've never even heard of it before:

http://mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publicat ... route3.pdf

Slight difference in I will be starting from Keswick, not Ullswater, will go along disused railway and then go clockwise.

Anyone done it? Is it any good? Any alternatives???

Have done Glenderaterra/ Lonscale Fell a million times (although I will be doing it again and incorporating Skiddaw as well this time before heading down Latrigg).

Have done Borrowdale Bash loads too but am thinking about doing this with bits of the Four Passes from last month's WMB thrown in for good measure.

May do Whinlatter with a couple of mates who are coming up for the Sunday too.

By the way, if anyone wants to meet up for a ride, please let me know - the more the merrier - am up from Fri mid morning until Mon or Tues (weather dependent).

Comments

• Matt_
    Matt_ Posts: 82
    Not done it but looking on google maps at the images it just looks like a gravel road.
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2009 Specialized Allez Sport
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    ClimbBoy wrote:
    May do Whinlatter with a couple of mates who are coming up for the Sunday too.

Make sure you ride Whinlatter. Just ridden it and it's tops; thoroughly recommended.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The Old Coach Road is a double track gravel road, nothing technical, just quite a long uphill slog for no real fun on the way down.

The map you linked to does it the other way to when I did it as a part of the Coast to Coast, but it's still pretty much as I describe above

Still a nice ride if you like old skool XC riding and just being in the middle of nowhere on your bike
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg