Strong words from Millar about Wiggins and Sky

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited July 2011 in Pro race
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8883/ ... cling.aspx

I'm size bid on Millar over any rider Produced from British Cycling's Regime.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Dunno about you but I think him trying to promote his book has far more to do with this stuff. I know it says the interviews were done before but it smacks of PR and a "yes release this now please" mentallity. Same sort of thing was reported yesterday saying Brad might make top ten but podium is beyond him. Wonder whether he will be so full of praise for Cav when he is at sky next year.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Maybe could have posted this in here?:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12786204
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Dunno about you but I think him trying to promote his book has far more to do with this stuff. I know it says the interviews were done before but it smacks of PR and a "yes release this now please" mentallity. Same sort of thing was reported yesterday saying Brad might make top ten but podium is beyond him. Wonder whether he will be so full of praise for Cav when he is at sky next year.

Why wouldn't he be? Millar doesn't have anything against Sky, just Wiggins.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    He did sound a bit bitter when saying he wasn't allowed to ride for Sky though..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Seems slightly hypocritical that he criticises Brad for leaving and not respecting the team and yet goes on to pretty much say that he wishes he could have gone to Sky. I have a terrible memory but, other than producing a good TTT, what support did they actually provide to Wiggins in 2009? He seemed to be on his own in the mountains from my (poor) memory.

Millar could look slightly foolish in a few weeks time.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I think his comments are spot on. Especially on the contract-breaking subject. Wiggins is a tool.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Pross wrote:
    Seems slightly hypocritical that he criticises Brad for leaving and not respecting the team and yet goes on to pretty much say that he wishes he could have gone to Sky. I have a terrible memory but, other than producing a good TTT, what support did they actually provide to Wiggins in 2009? He seemed to be on his own in the mountains from my (poor) memory.

Millar could look slightly foolish in a few weeks time.

To be fair, both Millar and Vandevelde did quite a lot of work to help Wiggins in the 09 Tour.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think his comments are spot on. Especially on the contract-breaking subject. Wiggins is a tool.

They were spot on 18 months ago, now he just looks a bit bitter to me.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • watchfire
    watchfire Posts: 174
    Yeah Vandevelde was pretty crucial in that effort. Started as the leader then got stuck in helping Wiggins.
    My classifieds feedback thread for reference

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12946446
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    They did a lot of work for Wiggins, but I'm not sure about the whole "he couldn't have done it at any other team" angle. Sky look as well equipped to support him this year. I think the worstthing about the Sky move was that Wiggins could have taken a 1 year contract with Garmin, knowing Sky were waiting in the wings, but insisted on 2 years. He ended up costing his new team a lot of money, annoying his old team / teammates and setting an unwelcome precedent for the sport. Swift was a neo-pro so had no choice, but I don't really know what Wiggins was thinking.

As for Millar, he's really starting to annoy me recently. I probably need to read the book and get a more balanced view as opposed to all these irritating soundbites. He's a classy rider with a lot of guts and I hope he gets a chance to make his mark at the tour.
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143

+1
  • Gazzaputt

They were spot on 18 months ago, now he just looks a bit bitter to me.

+1
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Garmin did support him in 2009 but no more than any other team would have done for their GC man. Millar and Vandevelde and paced him onto the climb but he was pretty much all alone towards the summits.

Millar should let bygones be bygones... oh what's that you say he has a book to sell? Good idea David, slag off Britains GC contender in the media for added sales :)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    You have to read the book to put it in context. Journalists are ceasing on the Wiggins stuff as its a good story, but Millar sets out his reasons for feeling slighted and I guess we won't get the other side of that story until after Brad releases an updated autobiog himself. In a nut-shell, Millar feels that Wiggins didn't appreciate Garmin and the efforts put in, wasn't respectful and they were pleased to see him fall flat on his face. Fair enough. I think it was probably short sighted of Wiggins not to want to keep people on side, but also Millar freely admits that if he had received an offer from Sky - he'd have gone, so it is a little bit hypocritical to criticise Wiggins for going.

I remember Van De Velde working like a dog for Wiggins and he finished 8th, so he can't have been TOO far off the pace at any time.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    They weren't exactly helping him out of the goodness of their heart though were they? If Vandervelde was team leader then presumably they switched to supporting Wiggins as he had got himself into the position where he was their best option. How many teams (excluding Astana) wouldn't have supported a rider in that position? It's how cycling works. The team would have benefitted from the prize money in return for their work. The comments would make more sense if he didn't admit he would have gone to Sky had they asked him but hypocrisy is one of Millar's favourite past times!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Yeh, Van De Velde turned himself inside out at some points during 2009 to try and keep Wiggins in touch. Millar offered a lot of support as well. But it's a bit ridiculous to claim that he wouldn't have got 4th in any other team.

I think Millar's right to be annoyed at how Wiggins jumped ship after the support they had given him, but his sentiments do seem a bit over the top. Looks like headline-grabbing to me.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Wiggins gets 3 pages out of 346 in the book. Millar's main gripe is that he got let down by someone he considered a mate. He also feels that Wiggins didn't give Farrar the support on the final stage that he was expected to, having received the support of the team.

Headline grabbing will be by journalists trying to make a story rather than Millar. Although Millar has publicised his book well by wearing pink at the Giro and winning the final TT.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I remember Garmin working their arses off for Wiggins, there were times when Millar and the others did huge turns in the run into climbs. So I think Millar is fair to complain that they didn't get given much respect for it. As for not helping Farrar on the last stage, then that'll hardly come as a suprise for ironically the person who benefited the most, Cav. I'm surprised Cav has forgiven Wiggins for the Olympics debacle.
  • Gazzaputt
    Jesus H.

That is what teams are for to support their GC. Wiggins lept up the GC unexpectedly and Garmin chose to move their eggs to his basket.

What is Wiggins supposed to do be eternally grateful and go down on bended knees?

Didn't Garmin receive around 2million Euros in compo for his move to Sky? Not a bad sum and I'm sure after Ryder Hesjedal performance last year Vaughters isn't worried.

Wiggins moved on and people need to get over it. Divorces are always messy and there is always one party who feels worse off.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hmmm. Cyclist disses Britains most famous road rider just before the Tour.

Perfect for getting peoples attention and more publicity for his book.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    IIRC wiggins joked about leaving Wigan to join Man United - but no one got the joke

I thought Brad should have saw out his contract as well; however I can easily imagine that Dave B was constantly on the phone to get him to sign for sky and that will have played on his mind

and yes it does sound bitter 18 months later but the book will have been on the shelf for a long time

always 2 sides to every story and the journalists covering the story are clearly going for the juciest 1%
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228
    cougie wrote:
    Hmmm. Cyclist disses Britains most famous road rider just before the Tour.

Perfect for getting peoples attention and more publicity for his book.

More likely - Millar says an awful lot about an awful lot to publicise his book just before the Tour and one particular thing gets picked up on...
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I see; I think this quote tells the tale more accurately
    “I would have loved [racing for Sky],” he admitted. “It hurts when I see that team staying in the same hotel as me, seeing people I've known for years. It's my world. Those are riders I should be alongside. But I'm banned.”

So it's sour grapes about having taken in the past and not being able to get a higher profile on a well paid team is it not? 8)
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gazzaputt wrote:

What is Wiggins supposed to do be eternally grateful and go down on bended knees?

The bit in holy David's book about this is interesting. Wigans started negotiating with sky during the Tour, and Garmin continued to support him. Then on the last day when the whole team got behind working for Farrar , Wigans sat in the bunch and couldn't work for someone else
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Not interested in the rantings of a drug cheat, Millar should just f*ck off.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547

I never quite get this argument - honestly if you got a phone call from a headhunter tomorrow offering you an interview/job with a state of the art business with loads of cash and the latest tech, where a few of your mates from the good ol' days also work, oh and they are offering to quadruple your salary would you not want to go?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    mr_poll wrote:

I never quite get this argument - honestly if you got a phone call from a headhunter tomorrow offering you an interview/job with a state of the art business with loads of cash and the latest tech, where a few of your mates from the good ol' days also work, oh and they are offering to quadruple your salary would you not want to go?

And, of course, he didn't actually break his contract. Garmin tore up his contract in exchange for a fat wodge of cash. They could have told Sky to f*ck off, but it looks like they made a pretty shrewd move - £2m + Wiggins wages saved, and an utterly forgettable season foregone.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

The bit in holy David's book about this is interesting. Wigans started negotiating with sky during the Tour, and Garmin continued to support him. Then on the last day when the whole team got behind working for Farrar , Wigans sat in the bunch and couldn't work for someone else
    Another effort for Millar to slate Wiggo, no suprises.

Can't blame Wiggo for leaving Garmin, he just finished 4th and gets offered a massive contract that will see him through for life? Or stay with Garmin, have a disappointing tour the next year and get no big contract from anywhere.

Guess Millar is just jealous.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    durhamwasp wrote:

Can't blame Wiggo for leaving Garmin, he just finished 4th and gets offered a massive contract that will see him through for life? Or stay with Garmin, have a disappointing tour the next year and get no big contract from anywhere.

Guess Millar is just jealous.

He's not really slating Wigans. He's very positive about him a lot of the time, but his behaviour left a lot to be desired. It's not that surprising - I've read Wigans (fairly awful) book and the brother has got some issues.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.