The beginners guide to chinese carbon wheels

Comments

• paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    Yeah didn't think about the import duty.
    Although if we got enough people interested and a good enough price from carbonzone it could still be worth while.
    Do carbonzone have a website like the others. Or just an eBay shop?
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    @ GMB

I've already asked on your "your bike" post but it's more appropriately answered here.

Did you weigh the wheels? Or do you know how much they actually weigh? What are carbonzone claiming they weigh?

If anyone else has their carbon clinchers delivered could they please weigh them before fitting. It would also be great to hear some ride reports with comparisons to other carbon wheels (thanks for to GMB for the comparison with your planet x tubs.

Sorry I must have missed the weight question. Carbonzone gave the weight as 1625+/-30g although I haven't weighed them myself.

They sound very nice. I like to hear the freehub clicking away. They sound very similar to my PX Carbon 50's.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • gmb
    paulc33 wrote:
    Do carbonzone have a website like the others. Or just an eBay shop?

Carbonzone just have the ebay shop. They had no clinchers listed but replied very quickly to my query about these.

From previous posts it was believed Carbonzone and DengFu were the same company but one of their staff have confirmed that this is not the case.

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    GMB wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    @ GMB

I've already asked on your "your bike" post but it's more appropriately answered here.

I asked on both posts at the same time so no worries :)

When I say how do they sound what I mean is when they're whipped up to speed do they make that nice humming noise you get with deep section rims?
  • gmb
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    GMB wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    @ GMB

I asked on both posts at the same time so no worries :)

When I say how do they sound what I mean is when they're whipped up to speed do they make that nice humming noise you get with deep section rims?

Pete, sorry mate I keep replying on both posts.

I don't know if the speeds I ride at count as "whipped up" but yes they sound lovely. You can hear the "whoosh" with each pedal revolution when putting down a good amount of power. I've only got the PX50's to compare them to, and I would say I'm as happy with the Carbonzone clinchers as I am with the PX's which I like a lot. Get some clinchers, you know you want to!!

• gotteli
    gotteli Posts: 3
    Just picked up a set of 38mm carbon tubulars ordered from Xiamen a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to ride them yet, but can share some experiences and first impressions.

It took a little while before they were actually shipped from Xiamen, but once sent, it took about 6-7 days for them to arrive here in Norway. Xiamen were kind enough to declare them as a "sample", thus saving me the 25% VAT normally tacked onto anything fun I order from abroad. I only ended up paying a 60NOK customs processing fee.

The wheels were sent in a very sturdy box, and were in perfect shape once unpacked. They look nice, and feel light, though I haven't had a chance to weigh them yet. We have a postal scale where I work, so I'll try to remember to bring them with me tomorrow and get an exact weight.

Also included were a set of carbon specific brake pads, a few extra spokes, as well as some very stout QRs.

Unfortunately the freehub on these is pretty loud, at least compared to the Ksyriums I have. And the hub on the front wheel seems to "stick" slightly, but that may go away after they've been ridden a while.
  • philhul
    philhul Posts: 140
    I have 60mm carbon clinchers from carbonzone

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    philhul wrote:
    I have 60mm carbon clinchers from carbonzone

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

Hey thanks for the weight post, is this good for 60mm clinchers? ? Sounds pretty good to me
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Well I'm just about ready to order some 50mm clinchers. probably from xiamen
    Questions to those that know.
    Which hubs are quiet, as in no freehub click?
    Which spokes are more aero the cx-rays or the pillar aero?
    And,
    Can you still see the 12k carbon weave on the matte finish?
    Cheers
  • gotteli
    gotteli Posts: 3
    My tubulars are from xiamen. They came with Bitex hubs which have a pretty loud freewheel (the shimano variant at least).
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    If you want to quieten the freewheel sound then remove the freehub and put some grease around the stepped part of the hub that the pawls click against. Not too much grease as you don't want to get into the pawls of the freehub and make them sticky.
    So sum up Loud=no or very little grease, quiet=some but not too much grease! Simples!
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    I've been looking to some reynolds assaults.

Are there any of these chinese wheels at a similar weight, about 1400 grams?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    One week after purchasing, both Carbonzone and yishunstefano have emailed to say that the wheels have been posted!

Now a test of the postal service!
  • pickled
    gotteli wrote:
    My tubulars are from xiamen. They came with Bitex hubs which have a pretty loud freewheel (the shimano variant at least).

Cheers,
    That's Bitex off the list.
    Anyone got Choosen or Novatec hubs?
  • kfinlay
    pickled wrote:
    gotteli wrote:

Cheers,
    That's Bitex off the list.
    Anyone got Choosen or Novatec hubs?

I take it you missed my post about greasing them :roll: it's the only difference between loud and quiet freehubs and takes no more than 5 mins to do even by a novice.
    Kev

• pickled
    Er. Yes. I did miss that. :oops:
    It doesn't make any sense to me though. If all it takes to quieten down a freehub is to add a little grease why don't some manufactures do that in the first place?
    I was under the impression that it was inherent in the design if certain hubs.
    Certainly some people round these parts say that it's a sign of quality.
    Feel free to flame me or correct my ignorance.
  • kkzfish
    kkzfish Posts: 39
    pickled wrote:
    Er. Yes. I did miss that. :oops:
    It doesn't make any sense to me though. If all it takes to quieten down a freehub is to add a little grease why don't some manufactures do that in the first place?
    I was under the impression that it was inherent in the design if certain hubs.
    Certainly some people round these parts say that it's a sign of quality.
    Feel free to flame me or correct my ignorance.
    Thats because some people(like me) quite enjoy the sound :o
  • pickled
    kkzfish wrote:
    Thats because some people(like me) quite enjoy the sound :o

I'm aware there are plenty of people who like to be accompanied on a ride by a swarm of angry sounding hornets.
    But I'm not one of them.
    :wink:
  • kfinlay
    less grease => less chance of sticky pawls => quicker better engagement

take a freehub of and have a look, easy to see how it works and how you would want all 3 (or more) pawls working rather than just 1 or 2.

Kev
    Kev

• Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    how are people getting on with these wheels... I am seriously looking at getting some but I am still wondering in terms of clincher or tub.
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • philhul
    As mentioned on the last page I have 60mm carbon clinchers and I love them. Extremely stiff, no rubbing on the brakes when out of the saddle on the hills, at just over 1.7kg not much heavier than a set of decent shallower rimmed aluminium wheels, and properly fast when going for it!
  • philhul
    Can you still see the 12k carbon weave on the matte finish?

This pic is stolen from a member on weight weenies who built a ISP FM028 with chinese carbon wheels but it shows that you can see the 3k weave on matt clear coat so it should the same on 12k

wheels.jpg

Mine are 3k with the gloss clear coat. My non-isp FM028 is matt clear coat so I'm pleased I didn't do the same on the wheels as the same weight weenie member has matt clear coat on both and in my opinion its too much
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Before ordering these 50mm tubs from carbonzone...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160593242188&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    ...is this the best price inc delivery for this kind of thing 3k weave? ...or are people getting them elsewhere a bit cheaper for the same thing...
    Also, I notice the 60mm version is 100g heavier for the pair, and only slightly more expensive, any comments on this if they're just used for TTs? Any opinion anyone have on 10mm more's aero advantage vs that increase in weight???
  • philhul
    Can't comment on the aero advantage, I only got 60mm cos carbonzone were out of 50mm at the time. I don't race and have basically built a bike based on looks that I can use for recreational rides and think that that the 60mm rims make mine look really fast and cool! If anyone disagrees I don't care, I love it!!!
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    mfin wrote:
    Before ordering these 50mm tubs from carbonzone...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160593242188&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    ...is this the best price inc delivery for this kind of thing 3k weave? ...or are people getting them elsewhere a bit cheaper for the same thing...
    Also, I notice the 60mm version is 100g heavier for the pair, and only slightly more expensive, any comments on this if they're just used for TTs? Any opinion anyone have on 10mm more's aero advantage vs that increase in weight???

Can't comment on that, but if you fancy a larger rim on the rear, they will do that for you. They sent me a quote back on one of their TT frames with a 60 F and 88 R on clinchers
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • gmb
    Since posting pics of my clincher 50's from Carbonzone I've managed to get a few decent rides in on them and I have to say I'm extremely impressed. I would definitely recommend them (running Continental GP 4000S tyres).

They are as smooth as the Planet X 50's I had previously used with Continental Sprinters - which I have now sold as I am so happy with these clinchers.

Anyone thinking of ordering - do so!

@Philihul - I have to say your's is my favourite bike on this forum at the moment - fantastic!

• philhul
    GMB - Thanks! I've just ordered my replacement seatpost and decided that the stem can go right down without any spacers so once the steerer tube is cut it will look even better! More pics to follow when it's done.
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Hi-fi?
    Hope you are talking Brit stuff like Naim etc?

I think naim is bobbins :?

Everyone has their own preference though.

Brit cd player (dCS)
    Jap amp (Accuphase)
    French Speakers (Focal)
    American Cables (MIT)
    British Supports/mains (Musicworks)

Was a hell of a lot of money. Sounded amazing. All gone bar the speakers now :(

Sounds like you must have been to Larry's?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    My 50mm carbon clincher wheels arrived today. Took a little longer than others have experienced in that it was nearly two weeks before they were shipped out but then they arrived just 5 days after that.

Delighted with them and a no-brainer at the price (about £340 delivered)
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    could someone send me the link to the wheels, I have looked on ebay and on google... my google skills are usually good but I hit a blank... an email address for the company doing the 50mm clinchers would be perfect :D
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)