Carbon seatpost stuck. Help needed!

antster94
antster94 Posts: 66
edited June 2011 in Workshop
Right, I have a problem. Basically, seatpost is stuck in frame. I have tried pulling it with the seatpost clamp screws out and it's still stuck. I didn't do it up excessively tight even. And because of the aero design of it, thin and long so I can't wiggle it left and right, I can't spin it around and get it out. I can't use WD40 or anything like that because it's a carbon frame and that's bad for it. It's a TCR Advanced 3 2010 with the stock seatpost. Only ridden one mile or so on it, literally brand new.

Any help would be much much appreciated.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    a squirt of WD40 won't do any harm.

Failing that if it's brand new, return to shop in case you crack the seat tube
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Coke
  • antster94

bought it online, so no shop apart from my LBS.

not sure about WD40, don't wanna take any risks. I've read that you can hammer up the saddle in order to loosen it, just need to get a rubber mallet for that. otherwise, gonna be a trip to the bike shop :(
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    If you bought it from a shop then take it back. If not then you have a problem. The previous owner may have used an agent which has fused the post to frame. Do you live near a Giant Store?
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • antster94
    Mr Dog wrote:
    If you bought it from a shop then take it back. If not then you have a problem. The previous owner may have used an agent which has fused the post to frame. Do you live near a Giant Store?

I bought it new from a website called paulscycles.co.uk, I don't believe anything is faulty. And yeah, I do, about 10 miles away. probably gonna cycle there at the weekend and ask about it.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    antster94 wrote:

not sure about WD40, don't wanna take any risks. I've read that you can hammer up the saddle in order to loosen it, just need to get a rubber mallet for that. otherwise, gonna be a trip to the bike shop :(

A bit of WD40 will do less harm than smacking it with a mallet :shock:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • antster94
    antster94 wrote:

A bit of WD40 will do less harm than smacking it with a mallet :shock:

Not sure how to squirt the WD40 down the seat tube though, it's real tight.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Theoretically WD will penetatrate, so spray liberally over the seat post and leave for half an hour so. may take two or three applications.

WD is fine on carbon - its a cacky very lightweight oily thing - it isn't sulphuric acid. Just wipe off the excess with a rag.

If the thought of WD abhorrs you so much, try penetrating fluid - available from garages and B & Qs everywhere. Ot GT 85.

Please don't smack with a mallet instead of using cacky lightweight oily substance .... Carbon isn't some fragile substance that wil explode at a moments notice, but I wouldn't go smacking it.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Why risk damage when your Giant store is just around the corner? I only use carbon grip on my post, WD40 is for rednecks, and GT85 is for bikes from Halfords... :wink:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?