Sticking Presta Valve

navrig
navrig Posts: 1,352
edited June 2011 in Workshop
I checked the tyres on my son's bike last night for the first time in a while. I noticed that the rear wheel valve was sticking meaning I was pushing against a closed valve (the lock nut was loose). I took the pump off and pushed down on the needle, letting some air out of the tube. I then tried to pump it up again buit it was still sticking. I had previously pumped up the front tyre so the issue is not with the pump.

I tried a few times to check that the pump was connected properly - no apparent issues.

I then tried with an ordinary pump (as opposed to the track poump) and again the valve was sticking close.

I haven't had a chance to try again and wont until Friday but any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    It's sticking: they do it........ damp. crud, etc etc etc. Look where it is - it gets covered in everything.

Spray it with (shock! horror!) WD. Or GT 85. GT 85 smells and tastes nicer.

If that doesn't work, unscrew it from the valve (if its an unscrewable one) and spray it with more WD40/GT 85.

If that doesn't work get him to pump it up to learn him how to do these things.

If that doesn't work, take the tube out, smash it up with a hammer (valve) and a Stanley knife (tube), throw the remains into next door's garden and buy some Lightweights.

In fact, go straight to the last option - it's the nicer ending all round.
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    don't spray it with WD40 or GT85. It won't do the tube any good if it gets inside.

A bit of talc may help (always keep a can of it in the workshop to 'lube' up new tyres, puncture repairs, etc)
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't spray it with WD40 for the simple reason that once it gets oil of any kind on it you'll have a hell of a job getting the pump to grip the valve.

I'd take the tube out and give the valve a good swill in some hot water, should sort it out. Don't worry about it corroding or anything, they're designed to take the worst that the weather can throw at them.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Utter tosh

Spray with WD/GT.

Wiggle valve until it works,

Wipe off excess using piece of tissue paper, pump up tyre, any more excess wipe off again.

Job jobbed.

Its WD/GT, not crude.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Hey, just speaking from experience. Did the same thing myself and ruined a pump head; it's surprisingly difficult to get oil out of those rubber grippers by the side of the road, and the pumping action ensures that any oil floating around gets liberally redistributed around the valve and pump.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}