Going for an ECG today

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
well, went to the docs about 2 weeks ago an they noted i have high blood pressure, i had to go back yesterday (over asthma inhalers) an the nurse took my pressure again an it was normal

anyways she is sending me for a full tests Blood, urine and a ECG

anyone ever had one?

im hoping they will let me have a copy of the output from the test so i can try an read it
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    when they start tutting or there's a sharp intake of breath they are usually taking the mickey. If they say nothing and then walk out of the room then worry :lol: :P
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I had one a doctors about 5 weeks ago which was perfectly ok. Had another one yesterday morning at the hospital, again all clear, as a prelude to fitting a 24 hour heart monitor which I had to wear for 24 hours then take back this morning. Got to wait 2 to 3 weeks for results now!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    had 2 over the past couple of months. both times were just "precautionary" for which i'll read thay didnt find anything abnormal.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • mudcow007
    man alive i'm a bit worried to be honest, i got high blood pressure (probably down to the fact i eat loads of crap) but i think it runs in the family too

at least i get time off work to go an do tests
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I've had a couple over the last few months as well. Also due to have a 24 hour thing fitted next Thurs, planning some furious laps of Regents Park to make sure they've got something interesting to look at.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only ECG's I've had were for medicals, all came back clean, just a load of squiggly lines on a paper print out as far as I could see.

The Doctor keeps telling me off for low blood pressure......85/63 has been my lowest, I was once told I couldn't have an op as it was too low, so I walked round the room twice, they took it again and I was deemed to no longer be in danger of dying!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sketchley
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I've had a couple over the last few months as well. Also due to have a 24 hour thing fitted next Thurs, planning some furious laps of Regents Park to make sure they've got something interesting to look at.

Two things,

First, taking the pads off this morning really really hurt much more than ECG pads, I'm a bit hairy and it had me wishing I'd shaved my chest. Before anyone says MTFU I did and just pulled them straight off and it f@cking hurt!

Second, I asked if they wanted me to go riding and stress test it, they said no on the grounds that if you get sweaty the pads don't work correctly. Also they said if doctors wants to run a stress test they do that there on exercise machines.

Good luck.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    The only ECG's I've had were for medicals, all came back clean, just a load of squiggly lines on a paper print out as far as I could see.

The Doctor keeps telling me off for low blood pressure......85/63 has been my lowest, I was once told I couldn't have an op as it was too low, so I walked round the room twice, they took it again and I was deemed to no longer be in danger of dying!

Simon

I went to the gym years ago and they refused to let me use the equipment after induction as blood pressure was high. Went to doctors he told me best thing I could do was exercise. Doh!
    --
    Chris

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Spot on about the pads sketch - I had an ECG 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to scrape the glue from various parts of my body - and yes I do shower daily!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • sketchley
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Spot on about the pads sketch - I had an ECG 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to scrape the glue from various parts of my body - and yes I do shower daily!!

The ECG pads are nothing, the 24 heart monitor ones are about 2 inch diameter circles which they then put a cross of tape across, Ouch!
    --
    Chris

• NGale
    Sketchley wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Two things,

First, taking the pads off this morning really really hurt much more than ECG pads, I'm a bit hairy and it had me wishing I'd shaved my chest. Before anyone says MTFU I did and just pulled them straight off and it f@cking hurt!

Second, I asked if they wanted me to go riding and stress test it, they said no on the grounds that if you get sweaty the pads don't work correctly. Also they said if doctors wants to run a stress test they do that there on exercise machines.

Good luck.

:lol: Jake had the same issue when he had an ECG done a couple years back after getting chest pains (Thankfully nothing serious, just stressed himself out at work too much after a project overrun) the nurse in A&E decided to go for the rapid approach to taking the pads off leaving him screeching like a girl and bald spots on his chest. :lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I had one last year due to high blood pressure too.

Simple, quick procedure with nothing of note to report.

I was feeling fine before diagnosis and am now on a small dailly dose of Ramaprin and feel exactly the same :?
    Still, it is a good excuse to go out on the bike as excercise is good if you have high blood pressure :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've had several in the past, once following a suspected case of DCI from diving and then another time after I collapsed on an aeroplane.

Both of which were fine and if anything on the low side; can't recall the pads hurting when they came off though.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    NGale wrote:
    the nurse in A&E decided to go for the rapid approach to taking the pads off leaving him screeching like a girl and bald spots on his chest. :lol:

I thought he waxed!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I went for an eye test in town and was told (don't know how they knew from my eyes) that I had high blood pressure. But when I told the optician that I'd just been on a 30 mile ride she hit me on the head saying thats the reason it was so high.

Seems a doublebind then; if you eat crap food and your bp is high then cycle to get fit but find cycling raises your bp, what are you to do except head down to the boozer and have some fun.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    the nurse in A&E decided to go for the rapid approach to taking the pads off leaving him screeching like a girl and bald spots on his chest. :lol:

I thought he waxed!

ahhh that was long ago now, I got him out of that habit within months of meeting him.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    NGale wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Two things,

Good luck.

:lol: Jake had the same issue when he had an ECG done a couple years back after getting chest pains (Thankfully nothing serious, just stressed himself out at work too much after a project overrun) the nurse in A&E decided to go for the rapid approach to taking the pads off leaving him screeching like a girl and bald spots on his chest. :lol:

You're dating Steve Carrel right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbXbRTRlKag

you NEED sound if you've never seen this before :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    NGale wrote:

I thought he waxed!

Note to self: never impart personal information on this forum. Monkeymonster writes it down and keeps it in a file. God knows what for. I hate to think.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    i've had a fair few ECGs over the years because of a slightly dicky ticker and they are nothing at all to worry about. they are kind of in the same class as x-rays - you won't get some massive shock in the results, it's just a method of getting more detail and information to help a diagnosis.
  • NGale
    Greg66 wrote:
    NGale wrote:

I thought he waxed!

Note to self: never impart personal information on this forum. Monkeymonster writes it down and keeps it in a file. God knows what for. I hate to think.

He's an MI6 spy really, out to collect information on cyclists in order to use it against us and enable motorists to dominate the world :roll:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    NGale wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    NGale wrote:

I thought he waxed!

He's an MI6 spy really, out to collect information on cyclists in order to use it against us and enable motorists to dominate the world :roll:

:D It's scarred in the conciousness from when Jake the shaved snake was waxing lyrical about his earlier shaved days... Much like boffins leg thread.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    NGale wrote:

I thought he waxed!

:D It's scarred in the conciousness from when Jake the shaved snake was waxing lyrical about his earlier shaved days... Much like boffins leg thread.

Yep, scary times. :lol:
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    mudcow007 wrote:
    well, went to the docs about 2 weeks ago an they noted i have high blood pressure, i had to go back yesterday (over asthma inhalers) an the nurse took my pressure again an it was normal

anyways she is sending me for a full tests Blood, urine and a ECG

anyone ever had one?

im hoping they will let me have a copy of the output from the test so i can try an read it

There's probably nothing to worry about over the ECG, if the Dr thought it was anything serious, he'd have sent you off to Hospital ASAP for the ECG.

I can't see why they wouldn't give you a copy of the ECG, it only takes seconds to print off a spare copy and they can be handy to keep at home in case you have any episodes of chest pains or suchlike as then your current ECG can be compared with the new one.

As for trying to read it, good luck with that. I've been reading them daily at work for the past few years and I still find them difficult to read! You also have to remember that your ECG can show up what appears to be abnormalities but is perfectly normal for you. This often happens and can throw people somewhat!
  • mudcow007
    just got back, in fairness it took all over 5 mins. but i was a brave soldier an lumbered on

i asked the nurse for a copy an she said she wasnt allowed although she gave me my results in an unsealed envelope :?

results as far as i can make out are squiggly lines, my heart rate was 55bpm which is ok im told? she had a quick look at the results an said nothing is standing out as being abnormal so don't worry an then she sent me on my merry way

the pads....right firstly im hairy (i've been likened to a monkey before now!!), im the hairiest person i know, an i know quite a lot of freaks an i did a little yelp when she pulled all 10 of them off
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    think that hurts try having a penile endoscopy to remove a stent from your bladder - without anaesthetic.
  • sketchley
    If you want to know real pain try having a gall stone block your bile duck and then get infected...... I've forgotten how much that actually hurt, mental block and all that.
    --
    Chris

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I spent 5 and a half hours in the Clinical Decision Unit yesterday, having some blood tests and vascular ultrasound. Turns out I have a DVT - probably have had since March, when the problem with my leg started. On heparin (self-injected) and warfarin now.

But now I'm wondering if I had one last year as well (I had some similar symptoms, but didn't go to the GP about it); if I did, it's possible that my sudden asthma was actually a small pulmonary embolism. That might explain why it came on so suddenly, and why the inhaler wasn't making a huge difference to my peak flow (which was still >600).

Anyway, 5 and a half hours for what amounted to about 25 minutes of hands-on treatment. I thought I'd be done and dusted in my lunch hour, so I didn't tell work where I was going. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I had open heart surgery in my teens, so I have an ECG and Ultrasound every two years. Nothing too it. The clarity on the Ultrasound machines now is great. They can usse it to generate a 3D finite element model of your heart. I'm hoping for 3D Glasses and a view of my heart in superlookaroundovision(tm)&(c) and popcorn next time.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I have had 2 recently following chest pains and difficulty breathing. The irony is the symtoms followed probably my best and most intensive training regime ever :(

Anyways, gp test showed some electrical anomalies but low blood pressure meant hospital stress ecg for precautionary purposes. I was a little scared but i loved it! on a treadmill, speed being upped and jokey staff at Kings in south london kept it all entertaining. Turns out i have a slight electrical delay or something but little to worry about. Became clear that the reason for my breathing difficultues and chest pains was muscular skelectal almost certainly as a result of being shunted at slowspeed by a black cab driver and me falling onto the handlebars. Go figure. Knocked me out for 3 whole weeks. And not quite caught up with my level of fitness then.

It is interesting learning about heartrate and observing resting and later under stress. As the staff said, by and large regular cyclists are amongst the fittest people they test second only to swimmers :)

Glad it went well mate.
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited June 2011
    mudcow007 wrote:
    just got back, in fairness it took all over 5 mins. but i was a brave soldier an lumbered on

Don't know if it helps but you aren't the first brave soldier to be faced by an EGG...

5 mins you say? You must be really hard...(boiled)...

takae-mizutani-egg-soldier-set.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem