Racing bike for Son aged 13.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
My Son would like to take up cycling with a view to racing and want,s me to buy him a racing bike. My Son is 5ft tall so i really need a very small frame does anyone know of anywhere i can get a small frame with descent spec and wheels just to start off with. At the end of the day if he decides that cycle racing is not for him then i would be happy to use the groupset, wheels e.t.c. myself and it would only leave me with a small frame to sell so i don,t mind spending a few quid for the right bike. Any help or advice is much appreciated as always Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    +1 : I was just about to post that exact link.

Even if your boy doesn't take up cycling... you will have people queuing to buy the bike off you s'hand.
    Simon
  • ademort
    Thank,s Guys it look,s a great bike for the price. He will be having a look at it when he get,s home. The only thing that put,s me off at the moment is the delivery time is usually within 28 day,s if in stock and he starts his holiday,s next week. Suppose if he does like it i can contact them and see about the possibility of express d elivery. Thanks again, and if you have any more suggestions then i will certainly consider them.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Recommendations are good, at 13 years old you need to make sure the bike is not overgeared. A 36 tooth front ring may seem small but is ideal for developing young riders. This means that you are unlikely to be able to use the groupset yourself.

D :D
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Ademort, chances are that they'd be able to deliver a lot quicker than that, I think 28 days is a "just in case" general statement. I think we only waited a few days, and was buying at Christmas.

Great versatility too, as they're CX bikes, but can easily be used for road racing.

Although it scares me when you see the hardware some of the kids turn up to races with, I only hope they're Mum & Dad's hand me downs!
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I'm not sure if there is a current version, but my girlfriend bought the smallest size of this as her first road bike. She is 5ft 2 but it would easily fit someone smaller.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/EN-GB/bik ... tions_id=2

There's no sign that it's a 'womens' bike - all the kit is totally unisex so nothing to embarrass your son, just the mens version probably doesn't go small enough.

The RRP was 900, but we got it for 400 in the sales.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Just checked Giants latest range... an Extra Small Giant Defy 1 (or 2/3/4) might fit, especially if you're expecting him to grow into it. Smaller sizes are available in the 'Avail' which is the women's equivalent, but it looks a bit more girly than the old model.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    +1 for Isla: Bompette has a (different model) Islabike, and everything about it is brilliant. +1, too, for the resale value - I checked out secondhand prices online before buying, and believe me they were high enough to persuade me to get a new one straight away.
  • ademort
    hammerite wrote:
    Ademort, chances are that they'd be able to deliver a lot quicker than that, I think 28 days is a "just in case" general statement. I think we only waited a few days, and was buying at Christmas.

Great versatility too, as they're CX bikes, but can easily be used for road racing.

Although it scares me when you see the hardware some of the kids turn up to races with, I only hope they're Mum & Dad's hand me downs!

Thanks for the reply, i sent Islabikes an email yesterday and recieved a reply this morning. Unfortunately they do not deliver to the Netherlands at the moment and are busy looking for a suitable courier. They have made a not of my details and will contact me when they have a new courier. My Son wants the bike now of course so i am looking on the net for any other alternatives. Have also looked at the Giant Defy and Avail but if anybody has any more ideas i,m more than happy to listen.Thanks anyway.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I bought my 13 yr old a Specialized Allez Sport earlier in the year. They go down to 49cm frame size, which is perfect for him (he is a small 13yr old). It is a 2010 model and was in Cycle Store's sale, so was a bargain at £470. It was a double and we live on the edge of the Peak District, so I had them change the rear cassette to get a largest sprocket of 28 teeth, which means he can climb anything around here. He loves it...

PP
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Funnily enough, i got an Evans booklet through the door yesterday, it had a nice looking 650c wheeled roadbike for juniors. Didnt take too much notice, perhaps a look on their website is in order.