So you have a pretty good otp road bike...

loobster
loobster Posts: 62
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
...what are you replacing first? Better/lighter wheels? Upgrade the groupset?

Comments

• gingernash
    gingernash Posts: 123
    wheels and tyres.

people will then say 'the rider' i.e. more miles, less weight, stamina etc.
  • loobster
    Yeah, I think wheels too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Lose another half a stone and shave another minute off my 18 mile loop?

I don't really understand this desire to replace perfectly functional components on a "pretty good off the peg road bike"

If you immediately bin the wheels and get say a pair of RS80s, surely you would have been better off spending the extra £300+ on a better bike in the first place??

I spent £1100 on my bike 3 years ago. Because I chose every component bar the saddle, that's the only thing I've replaced cos the original was not to my liking.
  • loobster
    I'm only saying hypothetically. I'm fine with the Campag Khamsin wheels on my bike for now, but I have a feeling that after a while that they might start to falter. It's that groups-of-3 spoke design, and I'm 94kg and 6ft and my commute is fairly punishing.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Maybe Khamsins weren't the best wheels to choose for commuting??
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    So is it an idea to upgrade the wheels before the rider (so to speak).

My wheels are 650c so there isn't much choice in already built. I would see about getting a set built but am not sure there is any point when I'm still fat and unfit.
  • loobster
    keef66 wrote:
    Maybe Khamsins weren't the best wheels to choose for commuting??

Who knows. You live and learn, my friend.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    keef66 wrote:
    Lose another half a stone and shave another minute off my 18 mile loop?

I don't really understand this desire to replace perfectly functional components on a "pretty good off the peg road bike"

If you immediately bin the wheels and get say a pair of RS80s, surely you would have been better off spending the extra £300+ on a better bike in the first place??

I spent £1100 on my bike 3 years ago. Because I chose every component bar the saddle, that's the only thing I've replaced cos the original was not to my liking.

But often, the extra £300 only buys a better drive train and finishing kit, and the wheels still end up being not so good.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • I've had my current bike for 18 months.....

My first upgrades have taken place in the last month - new saddle, new wheels (replaced R500 with Dura Ace 50mm Carbons)...

That is all....Everything else i'm fairly happy with. Next bits will be either a Garmin 800 or perhaps save for a full Dura Ace groupset!
  • loobster
    Bloody hell. Bit rich for my blood.

Actually, I just put a Selle Turbo 1980 in tan suede on my bike. The stock pro lite saddle looked more like an implement of torture.
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    I run my cyclocross bike on Khamsins with no problems, would say they are tougheer than you think.
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    I don't plan to change anything until it wears out. That way I will appreciate each change I make, and I am better equipped to make a more informed decision about what I want.

I never understand why there is such a rush to make so many changes quickly, surely it is good to enjoy what you have purchased, the fun is riding the bike isn't it?
    Ridley Orion
  • loobster
    Of course. Just the same with anything - I'm a big guitar nerd and people will be talking about which parts to upgrade on a guitar before they've even got it.