Washing hi-viz gear

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So how do I stop my hi-viz gear from losing its brightness when washing?

Do I wash by hand? In cold water? With special detergent?

Can I wash yellow hi-viz in same water as orange hi-viz?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My washing machine has delicate wash cycles available - I just put them on a delicate 30 / 40C cycle, no fabric conditioner and drip dry
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I don't bother.

Wash by hand if I was you,warm water with minimal detergent.

Otherwise, wear it until it falls off your back.

I've had mine about 4yrs (it's a riding to work, winter jacket), it's still waterproof, the back is covered in shi*te, it doesn't smell (much) and I'll get a new one next year.

:P

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    I use Grangers wash and proof 30 degree cleaner. Not faded yet, although nothing seems to get the dirty marks from when the coat touches the chainset.

I did have some pure soap which is supposed to be recommended for washing stuff like this, but you need to re-proof afterwards if inecessary.
  • mossychops
    AndyManc wrote:
    I don't bother.

Wash by hand if I was you,warm water with minimal detergent.

Otherwise, wear it until it falls off your back.

I've had mine about 4yrs (it's a riding to work, winter jacket), it's still waterproof, the back is covered in shi*te, it doesn't smell (much) and I'll get a new one next year.

:P

Goretex and eVent recommend washing when necessary because dirt stops the durable water repellent working properly or it can wear off. If water does not bead on the surface of your breathable waterproofs they wont function as well and should be treated. My (cheaper) Endura trousers need proofing quite often orwater stops beading on the thighs and starts to seep through.
  • walkingbootweather
    edited June 2011
    Thanks guys,

I confess to adopting the AndyManc approach with my outer wear (windproof rather than proper waterproof which just makes me sweat) - the odd soak in cold water or wipe down is all it gets, but I have just bought some .hi-viz shirts that obviously do get very sweaty and need washing after each time.
  • mossychops
    Thanks guys,

I confess to adopting the AndyManc approach with my outer wear (windproof rather than proper waterproof which just makes me sweat) - the odd soak in cold water or wipe down is all it gets, but I have just bought some hi-viz shirts that obviously do get very sweaty and need washing after each time.

Where from? Do you recommend? I would like to get some hi-viz shirts make from a good wicking material. "be seen not sweaty"
  • walkingbootweather
    edited June 2011
    mossychops wrote:

Where from? Do you recommend? I would like to get some hi-viz shirts make from a good wicking material. "be seen not sweaty"

Amazon or SportsDirect depending on where best deal is at the time.

Yes they are great. Cheap as chips, cycle specific shirts with plenty of pockets that make you visible and wick away the sweat.

BTW the cut is more generous than some cycle clothing so you can buy the size that you would for a regular shirt.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    mossychops wrote:
    I would like to get some hi-viz shirts make from a good wicking material. "be seen not sweaty"

In this weather at this time of year - how can you people (down here in the warm south) *not* get sweaty?

No need to go to the levels I effortlessly do but still...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If it's simply hi viz and non beathable (Gore Tex etc), I simply bung it in a normal wash... The colour fades a bit but I think that's inevitable. I could NEVER get away without washing any of my cycling gear, I tend to sweat very freely when cycling, especially in summer!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    So how do I stop my hi-viz gear from losing its brightness when washing?

Do I wash by hand? In cold water? With special detergent?

Can I wash yellow hi-viz in same water as orange hi-viz?

Sticking it in the shower with you and trampling on it is a quick and efficient way to leaching the colour it seems :)
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02