London road closures - Thursday 30th June

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Just had this through from our travel services team
Please be advised that the National Union of Teachers Rally tomorrow will cause severe traffic disruptions and road closures in Central London. Closures will affect roads surrounding Westminster, The Strand and Holborn. Roads will be closed from approx 11am to 5pm.

See attached link to view a map of affected areas - http://www.met.police.uk/events/event_m ... +June+2011
Lets hope the teachers are better behaved than the students and don't go on the rampage.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    cheers for the heads up... massive carnage basically.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Why don't they go on strike during the 13 weeks of the year when the kids aren't at school?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    yeah just saw this too

going home is going to be chaos on the roads again - need to find an alternative route .. sigh!
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Just had this through from our travel services team
    Please be advised that the National Union of Teachers Rally tomorrow will cause severe traffic disruptions and road closures in Central London. Closures will affect roads surrounding Westminster, The Strand and Holborn. Roads will be closed from approx 11am to 5pm.

See attached link to view a map of affected areas - http://www.met.police.uk/events/event_m ... +June+2011
    Lets hope the teachers are better behaved than the students and don't go on the rampage.

Let's hope they are. Can you imagine the balding Geography teacher in the tweed jacket with leather elbow patches kicking in the windows of the Conservative HQ? That would be hilarious.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Let's hope they are. Can you imagine the balding Geography teacher in the tweed jacket with leather elbow patches kicking in the windows of the Conservative HQ? That would be hilarious.

Oy big ears, leave my mum out of it OK!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    So Millbank and Westminster Bridge shut and likely to also affect PS and Viccy Embankment. Fun. May be time to try south of the river, maybe even Elephant/Castle/CS7.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • richVSrich
    part of me is wondering whether tomorrow should be a day to avoid cycling?

routes will be closed

other roads will be chocked with cars

and others with molotov cocktail flinging science teachers...

might just walk to waterloo...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    11am to 5pm - pretty much a half day strike then really.
  • richVSrich wrote:
    and others with molotov cocktail flinging science teachers...

Not to mention the bearded metalwork teachers who've had the fifth-year making rudimentary shivs to hide down their Argyll socks.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    W1 wrote:

Yeah, won't affect me. I'm at my desk by around 8.30am and don't leave til 6.30pm or so...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Wrath Rob
    W1 wrote:
    That's a full day for teachers I'll have you know...
  • richVSrich
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    That's a full day for teachers I'll have you know...

im sure therell be a couple of hours either side where itll still be chaos...
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    W1 wrote:

Yeah, won't affect me. I'm at my desk by around 8.30am and don't leave til 6.30pm or so...

You don't work in the same office as me by any chance do you? although I do try to be in the office before 8 and still leave after 7...
  • W1
    Already busy around Parliament sq - what do the rozzers think a bunch of beardy geography teachers are going to do that requires concrete barriers? And why are they being installed during rush hour rather than last night?

Sometimes I really I think I should just be in charge.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    W1 wrote:
    Already busy around Parliament sq - what do the rozzers think a bunch of beardy geography teachers are going to do that requires concrete barriers? And why are they being installed during rush hour rather than last night?

Sometimes I really I think I should just be in charge.

It'll be hijacked by the anarchists, and there will be troubles!
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Another day of disruption and chaos for the courier industry in London then - I think I'll sell up and open a fruit and beg stall somewhere! Being a 'democrat' I do support the right to protest/strike etc where relevant, but to allow our capital city to be 'locked up' for a whole day, for whatever reason, is a disaster for business, and other people's jobs. Why can't they march on a Saturday? It's just mad - the country is in enough s**t as it is without disruptions ike this; it will cost billions in lost revenues.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • W1
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Another day of disruption and chaos for the courier industry in London then - I think I'll sell up and open a fruit and beg stall somewhere! Being a 'democrat' I do support the right to protest/strike etc where relevant, but to allow our capital city to be 'locked up' for a whole day, for whatever reason, is a disaster for business, and other people's jobs. Why can't they march on a Saturday? It's just mad - the country is in enough s**t as it is without disruptions ike this; it will cost billions in lost revenues.....

Because being paid more, working less, having more sick days, getting better pensions and being unaccountable isn't "fair" to the public sector workers. Having to actually fund your (increasingly long) retirement also isn't fair. It should be someone elses responsibility, like the taxpayer, who has already suffered during the recession, funnily enough without striking, because some people value their jobs in the first place.

The bigger question (as posted above) is - why don't they do it during the school holidays (all two months of them)? Because blackmail only works if you've managed to utterly inconvenience everyone else due to your own self interest, ignornace and greed.

I hope the public services carry on undisturbed today, proving that those on strike add nothing and are genuinely "redundant".....

Anyway, road closures eh?
  • Headhuunter
    fnegroni wrote:
    W1 wrote:

You don't work in the same office as me by any chance do you? although I do try to be in the office before 8 and still leave after 7...

Dunno, I'm based on Holborn, just up from Sainsbury's HQ towards Chancery Lane tube..
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Till 5pm! that's 1.5 hours later than they normally have to work... Burn the lot of them.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    fnegroni wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Ooh, macho hours talk!!!! Look at me - I work too hard!!!! :roll:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    W1 wrote:
    Because being paid more, working less, having more sick days, getting better pensions and being unaccountable isn't "fair" to the public sector workers.

Paid more? The head of a school has a huge responsibility comparable to managing a medium sized business, but is paid nowhere near as much as his/her private sector equivalent - partly explained by the better pension.

Unaccountable - not sure about that, league tables et al

Sick days - probably right

Working less - minefield, not going there. Most teachers I know actually do a shed load of work out of school, planning lessons, marking, etc.

I agree fully with the need to reform public sector workers' pensions, but I can understand their anger that their sole benefit (the ONLY one they get) is being eroded.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    If they did it on a Sunday or in their holidays it would not be a strike, would it!

My other half works for a big bank that just announced a lot of job losses. On Tuesday their great and good were at Wimbledon having a champagne reception, tonight they are having another champers bash with an ice sculpture as a centre piece. I almost feel like emailing the Daily Mail...tax payers bank fat cats enjoy champers whilst slashing jobs etc. :roll:
  • MonkeyMonster
    at least the weathers nice for them eh!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    georgee wrote:
    Till 5pm! that's 1.5 hours later than they normally have to work...
    5pm is when the road closure is expected to finish. I'm sure the teachers themselves will have finished their day and headed home long before then...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Wrath Rob
    Article in the Metro this morning included an interview of a teacher of Spanish. She was complaining that her contribution to her pension of £100 would have to increase or she would have to work longer to get the same pension. Its a bit like the situation in Greece and the protesters there. Both seem to boil down to the failure to acknowledge that there's a problem and that the resolution of that problem involves a realignment of people's unrealistic perceptions to the actual facts.

People are living longer. The population is aging. To avoid a massive national pension deficit in 15-25 years time, which would cause a huge increase in the portion of tax spent on paying public sector pensions and hence lack of spending on services such as health, education, welfare etc, people need to take some personal responsibility which means either starting to make your own pension investments, increase current ones or work longer.
  • Headhuunter
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Article in the Metro this morning included an interview of a teacher of Spanish. She was complaining that her contribution to her pension of £100 would have to increase or she would have to work longer to get the same pension. Its a bit like the situation in Greece and the protesters there. Both seem to boil down to the failure to acknowledge that there's a problem and that the resolution of that problem involves a realignment of people's unrealistic perceptions to the actual facts.

People are living longer. The population is aging. To avoid a massive national pension deficit in 15-25 years time, which would cause a huge increase in the portion of tax spent on paying public sector pensions and hence lack of spending on services such as health, education, welfare etc, people need to take some personal responsibility which means either starting to make your own pension investments, increase current ones or work longer.

I understand completely that people are living longer and essentially, retirement ages haven't been realigned in decades however I can understand their frustration. This re evaluation of public sector pensions seems borne of an economic catastrophe brought about by the private sector, notably banks, which has then obliged the public sector to step in to pick up the pieces. I work with bankers, I headhunt them day in and day out and although there have been massive headcount reductions in the investment banking sector since 2008, banks and bankers generally appear to have "got off lightly", whilst the public sector continues to pick up some of the slack. The best paid bankers now pay a bit more tax on the top level of pay, which they whinged long and hard about, threatening to move to Geneva or Asia etc etc, but otherwise, they're still paid well and continue to receive bonuses.

Although I agree that public sector pensions need some reviewing, I can understand where the anger comes from...
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Well, never mind all that. I have two - count them, t-w-o police helicopters circling over my office, and it is BLOODY ANNOYING!

Honestly, can't these protestors protest somewhere a little less central? The selfishness is staggering.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • MonkeyMonster
    There were two lynx's earlier with nose pods full of targeting equipment over near the wobbly bridge - are they upping the game for teachers :D
    It's the science teachers with their caesium bombs!
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    What a load of BANKERS!!!!!!!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I can see one helicopter from here. Are the teachers revolting?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5