SKS Chromoplastics stress fracture

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Has anyone else experienced their rear SKS mudguard shearing into pieces after prolonged use? I think the constant road vibration causes this at the stress points (i.e. where it is clamped at the seat stay bridge). I got a pair replaced under warranty, but the same thing happened again. I'm reluctant to get another pair now.

(I'm aware there's a mudguard thread in Commuting General, but let's face it, more replies will be gotten here)

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    kelsen wrote:
    (I'm aware there's a mudguard thread in Commuting General, but let's face it, more replies will be gotten here)

Whilst that is true, you are more likely to receive bad pun based responses on this forum. I'd keep your guard up ready for the mud slinging if I were you.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    kelsen wrote:
    Has anyone else experienced their rear SKS mudguard shearing into pieces after prolonged use? I think the constant road vibration causes this at the stress points (i.e. where it is clamped at the seat stay bridge). I got a pair replaced under warranty, but the same thing happened again. I'm reluctant to get another pair now.

I had the rear lug at the back of the mudguard shear, leaving the stay dangling in mid air; had pictures on FlickR but seem to have deleted them!

Emailed SKS with the photographs (or at least a link to them) and they responded by sending a new set, even though the mudguard was about 14 months old.
  • Reading that I may try contacting SKS then. The front of my wife's front mudguard sheared off at the fork (where the "L" bracket joins) a couple of weeks back. I wasn't looking forward to paying £30+ just to replace it. It was an insurance replacement bike (Tricross) last August, so I would have hoped it would last longer :?
  • @ gbsahne: are SKS's contact details easy to find?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Its only happened to me with every set of SKS's I've ever had. On the other hand, they do not ratttle, they are light and you can wrestle them on to virtually any frame. If I see a fracture, I simply apply some black duct tape to extend the life a while longer.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I've a set of chrono's and needed to drill a hole to then bolt to the frame...been going strong for over a year with no issues....been taking the guards on and off as well.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Its a case of striking the balance os not putting them on too tightly, which increases the existing stress risers in the material and putting them on to loosely which then causes a vibration which can hit the guards natural frequency causing them to basically fall apart.

If the same thing has happened with two sets then there are two reasons why this could be.

1) incorrect fitting
    2) Material defect

If it's a material defect then the manufacturer needs to take a look at the design and build of the product
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    @ gbsahne: are SKS's contact details easy to find?

http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=contact
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    SKS Chromoplastics stress fracture?

About £20k but you'll need proper legal advice
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Off topic slightly (they're not chromoplastics) but an example of one of the more exotic ways your mudguard can die!

5884490171_72f0e1b87e.jpg
    IMAG0046 by phy2sll, on Flickr

5885057610_e9b001254a.jpg
    IMAG0047 by phy2sll, on Flickr

How did that happen??? Answers on a postcard!