Turbo Trainer? whilst gaming.

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm trying to find a workable solution to be able to exercise whilst gaming.

I've just considered putting my road bicycle on a turbo trainer and using that in the lounge - assuming I'd be able to sit up right and hold a controller whilst my legs did the work.

I wont be slacking but I'm not too fussed about how intense my workout is, I've watched films in the gym and breezed an hour or so on the bike without realising it - but still got a decent enough workout.

I know people will say 'GO OUTSIDE!' which is fine. I just find it a lot easier to find motivation to game than cycle. I'm also a little out of shape from an extended break from regular exercise! so it'll be nice getting back into shape in the privacy of my own home.

Oh, there are alternatives to the turbo trainer - so if you think any of these would be better? Pedal exerciser?

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dancook
    edited June 2011
    Sketchley wrote:

Imagine doing that with a 'pedal controller' of some sort, you'd always lose :) unless you were a pro cyclist.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You can get turbo trainers linked into laptops and then "race" the tour de france route. But that games looks fun.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Clip-on tri-bars would probably make it quite easy to hold a controller....
  • dancook
    Clip-on tri-bars would probably make it quite easy to hold a controller....

Thanks, good idea. I'll keep it in mind if I ever manage to get my bicycle into the living room.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    Bruno Senna (yes, nephew of Ayrton) manages fine on a set of rollers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIcrppPDqFI
  • dancook

awesome :) but i'm not risking that!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I don't see the point you're not going to get the best workout whilst gaming cause you'll have your mind on the game and end up not doing a high effort.

Maybe go have a good game of CSS, get totally owned, get in a rage, THEN go on the turbo trainer and take your rage out on it.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    maybe hes just looking to build his base though? not all turbo efforts have to be eye ball straining stuff. sometimes its good to just sit there for an hour or so spinning
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

I can see the headlines now: A young man was killed today when he rode his bicycle into his television set. An expert, who was asked to investigate the scene, described the cause as "bleeding stupidity".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805

Thats impressive !!! 8)
  • dancook
    freehub wrote:
    I don't see the point you're not going to get the best workout whilst gaming cause you'll have your mind on the game and end up not doing a high effort.

I did say in my original post that I'm not too fussed about how intense the workout is.

I've watched films on an exercise bike and have put in effort enough to get a decent enough workout. I think I could manage a decent enough pace whilst playing a game.
  • dancook
    I've narrowed down my choice to

Cycleops Fluid Pro
    Cycleops Fluid 2
    Kurt Kinetic Road Machine

Does anyone know of any good deals at the moment to help reduce the blow?

I'm checking classifieds too, but not sure i'm going to get exactly what I want without a long wait.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I can't see this working out very well for serious PC gamers, you'd lose way to much accuracy on a mouse. But I guess it would be OK for less intense games on consoles.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I tried to play Unreal Tournament on the PS3 while using my exercise bike. The movement on the screen as I turned around caused me to lean to one side and I nearly fell off.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • dancook
    I can't see this working out very well for serious PC gamers, you'd lose way to much accuracy on a mouse. But I guess it would be OK for less intense games on consoles.

I can't imagine using it on a PC would be easy, but thankfully that isn't my intended application.

I'll watch films, tv episodes and I've got white knight chronicles 2 coming, so I'll play that.

It's a game that I could take me attention off from time to time, fast reactions are not required.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    kaytronika wrote:
    I tried to play Unreal Tournament on the PS3 while using my exercise bike. The movement on the screen as I turned around caused me to lean to one side and I nearly fell off.

Sorry, but, A-hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, A-hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Thats awsomely funny. Many, many thanks for sharing that! :lol::lol::lol:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • rick_chasey
    dancook wrote:

I can't imagine using it on a PC would be easy, but thankfully that isn't my intended application.

I'll watch films, tv episodes and I've got white knight chronicles 2 coming, so I'll play that.

It's a game that I could take me attention off from time to time, fast reactions are not required.

LA Noire.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Mario kart?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    fenboy369 wrote:
    kaytronika wrote:

Sorry, but, A-hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, A-hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Thats awsomely funny. Many, many thanks for sharing that! :lol::lol::lol:
    If you like that, you'll love the stories I've seen here of people on rollers who swerved to avoid their cats...
  • dancook
    LA Noire.

:) Sold it on already, maybe I'll play some more naruto ultimate ninja storm 2.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Zachariah wrote:
    If you like that, you'll love the stories I've seen here of people on rollers who swerved to avoid their cats...

awesome! :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Play Wii tennis while on the turbo trainer. Haha.

I would have thought your hand would be a bit too wobbly becuase of your legs going up and down. I have tried reading a book and cant because your hands do move a little bit. Might get frustrating that a small amount of bounce would throw your accuracy off by quite a lot. Interesting idea though, might try it.
  • rick_chasey
    mossychops wrote:

I would have thought your hand would be a bit too wobbly becuase of your legs going up and down. I have tried reading a book and cant because your hands do move a little bit. Might get frustrating that a small amount of bounce would throw your accuracy off by quite a lot. Interesting idea though, might try it.

If you have bounce in your upper body, something's not right!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Or you could get one of these:

hammacherdesk062911.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • mossychops

Its actually just a tiny amount of movement you wouldnt normally notice unless you are trying to hold a book (which is not as easy holding your arms straight out with no support). I would imagine this tiny amount of movement would ruin any accuracy with a joypad.
  • mossychops wrote:

Its actually just a tiny amount of movement you wouldnt normally notice unless you are trying to hold a book (which is not as easy holding your arms straight out with no support). I would imagine this tiny amount of movement would ruin any accuracy with a joypad.

Which is why I recommended some tri-bars...

PROLHBAT250_1_zoom.jpg
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mossychops wrote:

RC, you've just outed a nodder!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mossychops
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

RC, you've just outed a nodder!

Lol isn't a nodder a condom? I found a solution though, instead of holding my books out in front of me I put them on the pedals and this solved much of the bouncing. Wonder if I need to check my saddle height?

Paranoia is setting in now and I'll be checking myself constantly. :oops:
  • rick_chasey
    I played angry birds on my turbo on my phone till I started getting sweat all over it.

Got to 3 stars on all the paddy levels doing that.