Advice needed - Leg Cramp

ryanburbidge
ryanburbidge Posts: 3
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to avoid cramp (mainly in my calf muscles), the last road ride and my last turbo trainer session both ended with cramp.

I do not think there is anything wrong with my diet as I always try to fuel well before the ride, below is what I have eaten & drunk today in case anyone can see anything which may be affecting me.

Breakfast:- Bran Flakes with Oats, Nuts & MIxed Fruit.
Mid morning:- Protein Shake & Banana
Lunch:- Spaghetti Bolognese
Pre Ride:- Banana & 1 cup of coffee
I also drank 5 cups of white tea during the day.
I drank half a litre of water during my ride.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Answer #1
    Add electrolytes to all your water

If you are cheapskate then add a bit of table salt and "lo salt"

The expensive electrolyte method is Nuun tablets

I use Hammer Nutrition "Endurolyte" powder

Answer #2
    When you are warmed up, stop briefly and do some stretches. For calf muscles stand 1 metre from a wall. Put your palms on the wall and lean towards it, keeping your feet flat on the flour. Relax one leg and put all your weight on the other. Push down into the heel, keep the leg straight. Hold this position for 20 seconds. Repeat for each leg
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    +1 electrolytes. They went a long way to improve the cramping I was experiencing. As per an earlier post I made today High 5 is the one i use, the neutral one seems to work best for me . 2 tabs in about 750ml of water and another two in another bottle if its a long one.

I did use to do the salt thing but it used to make me feel a little sick even though it was only a sprinkle...of course others may not experience this.
  • cabbage1879
    cabbage1879 Posts: 113
    Have you checked your saddle height?
  • Thanks all for the advice, I have ordered a tube of the Nuun tabs and will incorporate the stretches suggested into my routine.

Thanks

Ryan
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I agree with Electrolytes. I came a cropper by using an energy drink on the last Dragon Ride instead of my usual electrolyte tabs and suffered 3 bouts of cramp which I managed to cycle through - very unpleasant!

If you want to add some flavour I find some lime cordial good!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • spadve71
    spadve71 Posts: 353
    i think i may have to try the salt method.used the high 5 tablets on saturday on the ron kitching sportive and had the worst cramp ever on a ride.i use the high 5 tablets all the time and they seem to work for me but not on saturday.the last 40 miles was just pain,and more pain
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Forget adding salt, thgis is not a good idea at all. This will not prevent cramp either.
    You should get enough salt from a balanced diet.
    The only thing the e;ectorlyte drinks will do is help rehydrate but I doubt you de hydrated that much on a turbo, the cramps will probably have been caused but the intensity of the work out also possible is what some one else posted about the seat height/position.
    As has been mentioned on other posts, the causes of cramps are not usually to do with dehydration ( maybe in hotter countries) bit more to do with intensity of rides. It is always easier to ride harder in an event when adrenalin is flowing :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Check your cleat position, see
    http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... -position/

Also look at your pedalling technique. I had calf cramp recently and I think it's because I was putting the power down too late into the stroke, around the 3 o'clock position. This meant my calf muscle had to keep my foot in place to transmit the force and put it under undue stress. I've found that by applying the power earlier and more evenly it helps. Interestingly I was only doing this with my left leg, right was fine.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I only get calf cramp if really tired, which probably mean I am not holding my foot with as much precision as when I am not tired and my pedalling technique worsens as a result.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Salted peanuts. I always carry them on a hot ride.

At the Dartmoor Classic I was climbing next to a guy who suddenly had an attack. I handed him some peanuts. When he had recovered and caught up with me he told me they had worked in 20 seconds. He was both amazed and very pleased.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Wish my cramp was heat related, two days over 20C so far this year. 17C today and it's just started raining again :-(

Must try peanuts though, mainly because I like peanuts!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • oldwelshman
    vs wrote:
    Salted peanuts. I always carry them on a hot ride.

At the Dartmoor Classic I was climbing next to a guy who suddenly had an attack. I handed him some peanuts. When he had recovered and caught up with me he told me they had worked in 20 seconds. He was both amazed and very pleased.

This is a joke right? How do you think salt got from the stomach and absobed intothe blood stream withing 20 seconds?
    Somehow I do not think the peanuts had anything at all to do with his cramp going but if you both believe this then fine.
    Also nuts are quite hight ion protein and not the easiest to digest on a ride.
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Was watching some you tube videos from the HTC team Dr who also governs the nutrition.

His advice was to use electrolytes in your drink like other people suggest. Keep your drinks cool, use some salt to keep them cooler.

Stretches are a must, not on cold muscles but warm ones. Dont go crazy, your aim isnt to break muscle just to liven them up.

Its possible your cleat position on your soe in relation to the stress you put through your muscles with pedal stroke, needs some adjustment. Get a bike fitting.

Try adding ilates or yoga into your exercise regime to imprve flexability and muscle density.

Xom
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • oldwelshman
    Xommul wrote:
    Was watching some you tube videos from the HTC team Dr who also governs the nutrition.

His advice was to use electrolytes in your drink like other people suggest. Keep your drinks cool, use some salt to keep them cooler.

Stretches are a must, not on cold muscles but warm ones. Dont go crazy, your aim isnt to break muscle just to liven them up.

Its possible your cleat position on your soe in relation to the stress you put through your muscles with pedal stroke, needs some adjustment. Get a bike fitting.

Try adding ilates or yoga into your exercise regime to imprve flexability and muscle density.

Xom
    Yes but this is not a good comparison really becuase the milage the pros do is going to be in excess of 450 miles a week and more for racing, and often in hot countries so their nutritional needs are different.
    Yu have to compare like for like.