Multi Day Scottish event.

DaveMoss
DaveMoss Posts: 236
I am in no doubt that Scotland has the best roads for sportive cycling in the UK, if not Europe.
but it's a long trip mor most of the UK population for a single event.

I am toying with the idea of a multi day event. Thinking of based somewhere where we could take over a large part of a holiday park, and for each of up to 6 days have a 50 or 60 mile sportive, plan to be finished for lunch time so those with families or partners to consider could make a holiday of it with the whole of the afternoon and evening free to do holiday things.

Any interest?
Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I'd be more inclined to do an event that was a few days at 100+ miles each day. Based somewhere central where you could do a route covering different ground every day, a route north one day, east the next etc.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    DaveMoss wrote:
    I am in no doubt that Scotland has the best roads for sportive cycling in the UK, if not Europe.
    but it's a long trip mor most of the UK population for a single event.

I am toying with the idea of a multi day event. Thinking of based somewhere where we could take over a large part of a holiday park, and for each of up to 6 days have a 50 or 60 mile sportive, plan to be finished for lunch time so those with families or partners to consider could make a holiday of it with the whole of the afternoon and evening free to do holiday things.

Any interest?

Europe? Have a word. Every time I come back from the continent I have to spend a week or so getting myself used to how bad Scottish roads are.

In my view 60 miles a day is a bit lame if you're going to target people who want to do a multi day event. It would need to be something they trained for. 80 miles a day would be more like it.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    You should also factor in the fact that cyclists are the worst for saying they would do events that they don't bother entering. I'd ignore about 30% of the yes vote :0)
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    Ok, if it's in Scotland it's "local" for me. Would want to batter it however as if I'm taking a week off need make sure it's worthwhile for me. 40 - 60 miles no thanks. 5-600 yes. The other aspect is for a few days more i could do the end to end
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Based somewhere central where you could do a route covering different ground every day, a route north one day, east the next etc.

Inverness is wonderful for that. South to the Spey Valley or Loch Ness. The roads to the east of the Loch around Loch Ruthven are a cycling paradise. East to Morayshire, West to Cannich or Strathpeffer, North to the Black Isle. I love living in Aviemore but I miss the variety of routes around Inverness.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Agree. Inverness would be ideal as there are good roads in all directions which could be linked up into a number of loops.

I'd think that a 3-4 day event would be achievable for most as that could be done over a long weekend (gotta factor in travel to/from Inverness too). Aim for 100 mile loops.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Aim for 100 mile loops.

Maybe a bit less. Some of those loops will have some killer hills in them.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!