Pendle Predator

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
http://www.pendlepredator.co.uk/

I cant recommend this route highly enough.
The longer route is a hell of a challenge over some stunning countryside.

Comments

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Will trek back up north just for this :) Spent most of my formative years at Pendle Ski Club on the road between Sabden and Clitheroe and always fancied cycling the hill. The rest of the route looks fantastic, wonderful unspoilt countryside virtually unknown to tourists as they head straight to the Lakes. Be good to get back on some proper northern hills compared to the soft southern bumps we have down in Surrey :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    Might give this a crack, looks a good route. Does anyone know much about the hills, i.e. what's the steepest/toughest?
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    £28 to ride public roads. Exactly what do you get for your money? Food? Great could get a good meal at a decent restaurant for £28. Timing? Can do that myself for free. So exactly what do you get for your money?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    moolarb wrote:
    Might give this a crack, looks a good route. Does anyone know much about the hills, i.e. what's the steepest/toughest?

I did this ride when it was just 20 squid I think. The hills themselves arent that much, its just that there are quite a few of them and they come in inopportune moments, like just when your 5 miles from the finish.

The rides arent terribly steep just long and by the end they do grind you down.

Its the hardest sportive I've done, but then I did it on a scorching hot day which didnt help. I used a compact 12-26.

Anyway have a look at this guy from southport cc an dhis go at it, and then theres a link to our very own Mroli's rides up the trough of bowland and nick o pendle.

The southport cc guy metions a climb of 25%, I cant recall anything bein that steep, but then they may have altered the route. Definitely worth doing though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AKtClbMss

http://100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com/
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    holker wrote:
    £28 to ride public roads. Exactly what do you get for your money? Food? Great could get a good meal at a decent restaurant for £28. Timing? Can do that myself for free. So exactly what do you get for your money?

Yawn
  • bikingboy
    bikingboy Posts: 4
    I phoned the organisers on Friday and they told me about a new offer on this ride.. anybody that enters a team of 8 or more will receive the 8th entry free.

They had also just confirmed with Hope who are sponsoring the event anyone that does this also gets entered into a prize draw to win a ticket for a tour around the new Hope factory. As it’s Hope’s hometown event they always put a team of riders out too.

here's the link www.pendlepredator.co.uk
  • davelakers
    moolarb wrote:

In my opinion the hardest climbs are;

Waddington Fell (not steep but long and tiresome)
    Lamb & Tatham (2 of my favourite climbs)
    Jubilee Tower (horrible 1st section then a drag up to the top)
    Boundary Fell (aka Trough of Bowland, steady drag with a couple of short steep ramps)
    Little Bowland (a horrible little climb which is often forgotten but is harder than it looks)
    Geoffrey Hill (aka Longridge Fell, a steep but fairly short first section then it eases off to the top until a last little drag)
    Nick o Pendle (a long drag up past the ski centre with a couple of steep sections. It wont be quite as bad this year as the route does not involve the steady climb out of Clitheroe)
    Black Hill (the steepest of the lot around 25% and it goes on for a bit longer than you would want)
    Newchurch (similar gradient to Black Hill but not quite as bad)
    Barley Fell (this is new to me as I havent ridden it so I cant comment)

None of them too bad but Black Hill and Newchurch come after a lot of hard miles.
  • smokey_jo
    smokey_jo Posts: 4
    Barley Fell climbs 100m in just under a mile and starts off pretty steep but eases off gradually, it was the main climb on the National Champs circuit last year.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    davelakers wrote:

I think it is skipping most of Jubilee Tower - by the look of it it flanks up to Quernmore from the North so the hairpins are missed out.

I was thinking of doing the Ryedale Rumble but I did part of that on the Ron Kitching Challenge this weekend and the Pendle Predator looks like a more fun route.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smokey_jo
    smokey_jo Posts: 4
    Hope Factory tour comp details here: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclos ... redators-0
  • davelakers
    Rolf F wrote:
    davelakers wrote:

I think it is skipping most of Jubilee Tower - by the look of it it flanks up to Quernmore from the North so the hairpins are missed out.

I was thinking of doing the Ryedale Rumble but I did part of that on the Ron Kitching Challenge this weekend and the Pendle Predator looks like a more fun route.

There only 2 ways up Jubilee, one from Quernmore crossroads and the other is from Abbystead side, which is the opposite direction to the direction of the ride.
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    no davelakers, theres actually 4 ways up it
    1. from quernmore
    2, Opposite way from lower lee
    3. From plantation lane
    4. From abbeystead lane

3 and 4 are almost the same apart from 3 travels up plantation lane for about 2 miles then joins abbeystead lane.