Sunburn !!

KonaMike
KonaMike Posts: 805
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I have a ridiculous cyclists tan from wearing my Lycra the last few weeks,my knees and ankles seem to have burnt the most along with my forearms which are bright red.
After I showered last night I looked like I had red leg warmers and arm warmers on,against my white torso !!
I walked into the bedroom and my wife just laughed (not for the first time ) .... its not a good look the cyclists tan,but short of cycling topless I dont see a way around it ! :oops:

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've got a cyclist's tan.

I am black.

That is all.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    KonaMike wrote:
    I have a ridiculous cyclists tan from wearing my Lycra the last few weeks,my knees and ankles seem to have burnt the most along with my forearms which are bright red.
    After I showered last night I looked like I had red leg warmers and arm warmers on,against my white torso !!
    I walked into the bedroom and my wife just laughed (not for the first time ) .... its not a good look the cyclists tan,but short of cycling topless I dont see a way around it ! :oops:

Ever heard of sun block? :lol:

Seriously though constant sunburn can lead to other more serious thing.

Factor 30 before every ride.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    KonaMike wrote:
    .. its not a good look the cyclists tan,but short of cycling topless I dont see a way around it ! :oops:
    Move to Scotland.
  • KonaMike
    Good point, but living in Wales I'm not that used to several days of sunshine in a row so it caught me out !! :)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    KonaMike wrote:
    I dont see a way around it ! :oops:

Wait until one sunny weekend. Find a secluded spot (preferably your garden) and sunbathe wearing just arm warmers and leg warmers.

Job done.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike wrote:

Wait until one sunny weekend. Find a secluded spot (preferably your garden) and sunbathe wearing just arm warmers and leg warmers.

Job done.

You Sir, are a Genius ! :)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Factor 30 before every ride.

+1, everyday smells like a holiday
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I managed to get the tops of my ears burnt on Sunday riding over the downs - really really itchy :oops:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Sunburn makes me laugh.
    I have memories of a school trip where everyone (including the teachers) got sunburnt (apart from me). I was slapping people on the back and laughing.

I wasn't very popular on that school trip.

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sunburn makes me laugh.
    I have memories of a school trip where everyone (including the teachers) got sunburnt (apart from me). I was slapping people on the back and laughing.

One time at band camp (well a school trip) it got incredibly hot and the teacher said he'll give all the kids who needed it a dollop of suncream. He then reinforced that if we don't need it don't ask because he only had the one bottle.

So there we are queuing up. And he literally rationed it out so that the more pale kids got loads. Anyway, I get to the teacher and hold out my hand.

"Please sir my nose, it get's burned easily".

He looked at me bewildered shouted a little and pushed me along not giving me any suncream.

My nose didn't get burnt - I've never had sunburn (what's it like?) - but I still thought it was discriminatory. :(
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    KonaMike wrote:

Job done.
    Have kinda done that in the past. When I went on holiday to America I switched wearing my watch from my left wrist to my right to even up my tan :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sunburn makes me laugh.

Get out your Vitamin D tablets!

http://www.blackstarnews.com/news/135/A ... 10-08.html
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    As an Aussie caught living over here now I would recommend you try your best to put the sun cream on. I've not gone swimming or anything outdoors without wearing a shirt since I was 13 and found a nasty mole growing on my back 20 years later. Once they grow through the bottom layer of your skin (can take less than 3 months) you are pretty much done for. Luckily for me we are taught what to look for in Australia. Unfortunately for a lot of Brits you are completely unaware of how it happens or what to look for if it has happened.

On a lighter note...... if you do come across someone out in the sun without a shirt or cream then apply some to your hand without them knowing and find a reason to touch their back with the same open hand (push, slap whatever...) By the end of the day they will have a lovely looking handprint to show off to everyone.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Rick (even though your name isn't really Rick), I doubt I need any Vitamin D supplements. I get lots of sun (hence the cyclist's tan) and as the body makes Vitamin D when exposed to the sun, I think I'll be OK. I imagine that its the couch potatoes who suffer from lack of Vitamin D (I only skimmed your link)

DDD, you felt discriminated against because you didn't get something that you didn't need when the people who did need it had a limit on their allowance? Did you ask the school nurse for tampons too?

Like you, I have no idea what sunburn feels like, fun to watch others suffer though, especially as its is usually their own fault.
    I bet Mrs DDD lays in the sun (maybe not, Irish skin and all that) whilst you are in the shade thinking "She's mad!".

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    I thought black guys could get sunburn. Granted you won't turn a ridiculous pink colour, but I thought you could damage the skin and get sore same as us.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I was 13-14 and in the "little sh*t" phase that all teenagers go through. I'd love for tampons to be required at my school, it was a all boys school. So no tampons and absolutely no girls. :(

Soon to be Mrs DDD ;) does love laying in the sun and yep I do sit in the shade thinking wtf and "wear a hat!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    Ah, so you popped the question! Congrats. (Unless you were pressured into it, then sucker)!

I would have hated school trips without girls. Sarah being thrown into the river when wearing a white cotton t-shirt, sneaking into the girl's dorms when we were supposed to be sleeping, having to hide from the teachers in Alison's bed when they heard 'noises' from the girls dorm.

Ahh, memories. Boys school just doesn't sound like anywhere near as much fun.

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    KonaMike wrote:

Job done.

This is genius.

However - although sunblock is a good idea - it doesn't actually stop you tanning - it just provides a filter against harmful UVA/UVB rays.

My GF is so jealous of my tanned face and arms (well up to just above the elbow), and then i show her my torso and she laughs
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    KonaMike wrote:

Job done.

I can think of at least one place on my body that I'd be wearing sunblock (or a UV blocking sock) if I were to follow EC's suggestion (if I were of the Caucasian persuasion).

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    KonaMike wrote:

Job done.

I can think of at least one place on my body that I'd be wearing sunblock (or a UV blocking sock) if I were to follow EC's suggestion (if I were of the Caucasian persuasion).
    I have vague memories of sunbathing in the nuddy. Seem to remember my "gentleman's area" as James May would call it getting incredibly hot and having to strategically place a tee shirt to prevent lasting damage. "goodness gracious great..." as Little Richard said.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Twostage wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    KonaMike wrote:

Job done.

I have vague memories of sunbathing in the nuddy. Seem to remember my "gentleman's area" as James May would call it getting incredibly hot and having to strategically place a tee shirt to prevent lasting damage. "goodness gracious great..." as Little Richard said.

Ow ow ow ow ow ow ouch!!!!!!!!