handlebars way to low, need a new fork??

habahaba
habahaba Posts: 12
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi there
I build my first bike ever, took it for a 20 miles ride:] and came back with a back pain. The handlebars are way too low, I am quiet tall - 6.1 . I checked them already, cannot be adjust higher. So do I need the whole new fork :?:
Its a 20" frame

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I take it you have checked and there are no more spacers above the stem?

Anyway a new stem, with a little more rise might fit the bill. Perhaps you could post a pic of you sat on your bike so people can offer advice about your position.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The handlebar height does not change according to the rider's height - the length of the bike does. So if you were too tall, you'd be to scrunched up in your riding position, and if you were too tall, you'd be too stretched out.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    saddle looks a tad low. stem looks a tad short. but otherwise fine.

if you really want to raise the bars. your options are either or both stem with more rise, bars with more rise.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fit-wise that looks about right-ish, although the saddle is too low.
    Maybe it's just one of those things that you need to strengthen. Riding uses lots of muscle groups, not purely the legs - after riding a while your core muscles, and arms will also be worked a bit, and you might find that the aching goes away.
  • habahaba
    habahaba Posts: 12
    thanx a lot guys,I will get new, longer stem, starting my searching now!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Raise the seat up a bit and make sure its level.

start with riser bars rather than a new stem and given the type of bike I'd have a look for some bar ends.

I run bar ends on mine even though it looks totally wrong given the type of bike. However it does give you an alternative grip, which when you are riding distances is useful.

5876112089_a2bbd48bba_b.jpg
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Fit-wise that looks about right-ish, although the saddle is too low.
    Maybe it's just one of those things that you need to strengthen. Riding uses lots of muscle groups, not purely the legs - after riding a while your core muscles, and arms will also be worked a bit, and you might find that the aching goes away.

This.

When Im out of the saddle for a while I normally get a stiff back following a long ride. Likely just need to strengthen the muscles a bit
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Isn't that an adjustable stem in the OP's pic?

If so, you should be able to angle it higher by loosening the bolt on the side, in front of the steerer tube. You should be able to raise it at least an inch that way, it will shorten the bike a bit though.

It doesn't actually look too low though; for me at least.