How much travel should a front fork use?

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Just a quick question about everyone's forks.

How much do your forks /compress travel when in use? Like is it normal for your forks to almost bottom out when really hammering them?

I've gone for a more firm spring for my forks anyway since I'm above the standard weight threshold, but just wondered what an acceptable compression is.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it should use all its travel occasionally.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Dont some forks have bottom-out protection in the form of a VERY stiff spring for the last x% travel? Just out of interest
  • Nice one thanks.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Ideally you want your forks to just bottom out on the roughest terrain/biggest hit you encounter, which of course might be different depending on where you are riding that day.
    "Coming through..."
  • That's fine, as long as it is acceptable for them to bottom out now and again. Obviously with a firmer spring in my forks, they should do it slightly less, but I was just a little concerned that they'd bottomed out at all, so now I know they can and it's ok, that's fine.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Rybes
    Rybes Posts: 110
    ive set my forks up the same as i set my motorbikes forks up. under compression they use around 80 85% travel leavin the last bit of travel for those hard bumps that just seem to pop out from no where.
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......