MTB & Road shoe flat pedals

togg
togg Posts: 80
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
Can you get a sort of hybrid shoe that will work with both road bike and mountain bike flat pedals, I don't want to risk clip ins just yet. Looking for any good recommendations and advice.

Comments

• BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    I don't really see why any shoe 'wouldn't work' with a mountain bike and a road bike. Personally, I have no interest in clip in pedals and have been using an older version of these, on my mountain bike and my road bike, for a few years now and think they are excellent: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55371
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    If you want to cover both with one shoe then the pedal needs to standard SPD type and shoe needs to be SPD not SPD-SLs which is the normal road type - unless of course you put a road pedal (SPD-SL) on the mtb!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Op is asking for recommendations for flat pedals, not SPD's
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm not sure what you're asking for.

What have you got/what are you planning to use? Flat pedals on both road bike and mountain bike?

What do you mean by 'hybrid'?

Do you mean you have SPD or SPD-SL pedals on the road bike and you want shoes that can be used with those and on flat MTB pedals?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • togg
    I'm using basic flat pedals on boardman road team carbon and pro HT MTB, the first suggestion seemed to fit the requirements I was looking for, just something in the middle really to start off with, eventually I will be buying specific shoes to suit each bike with cleats

are those shimano shoes ok for both? I'll probably give those a try, thanks.
  • BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    togg wrote:

Flat pedals are flat pedals, what bike they are on makes no difference. The Shimano shoes I linked to are for flat pedals.
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    togg wrote:

Flat pedals are flat pedals, what bike they are on makes no difference. The Shimano shoes I linked to are for flat pedals.

That's what confused me abou tthe OP, it said he wanted shoes for 'both' but they're exactly the same.

What pedals are they by the way? Might be better off spending money of grippy pedals rather than shoes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • togg
    Don't worry, I'm just talking rubbish, those shoes are perfect for what I want, thanks for the recommendation I'll be buying those, your right flat pedals are flat pedals, I just didn't want any shoe too bulky so I couldn't really use it on the road bike
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I've always used DMR v8's on my mtb, so when I got my road bike thats what I put on that.

It gets some funny looks off some people though :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    andy46 wrote:
    I've always used DMR v8's on my mtb, so when I got my road bike thats what I put on that.

It gets some funny looks off some people though :lol:

My roadie had V8s on as well!

To pick shoes, I went into a Vans outlet shop with a pedal and went round testing soles until I found one it stuck to well enough. I got some strange looks.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Flat pedals on a road bike must give horrendous cornering clearance. I've had a couple of pedal strikes and it's something I'm rather keen to avoid!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    njee20, I presume you mean when pedalling round a bend?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    njee20 wrote:
    Flat pedals on a road bike must give horrendous cornering clearance. I've had a couple of pedal strikes and it's something I'm rather keen to avoid!

outside foot down :wink::wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport