getting a mtb into the boot of a bmw 3 series

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Does anyone know if you can get a MTB into the boot of a BMW 3 series 2002 model saloon

Not comfortable on a roof rack and I don't think a rear rack is available for BMW e46.
Not keen on putting anything visable on the back seats.

Ideally want to fit a MTB and road bike into the boot taking the wheels off.

Comments

• Typerchris
    Typerchris Posts: 74
    I have a 2011 tourer and obviously can do it with mine I think you may struggle with the saloon though.

I was dubious about a roof mounted carrier but it is the best thing I have bought. Easy to fit and leaves the car free. Not sure about rear mounted racks for saloon but I know I couldn't get one due to the split opening boot.

You could always fit a detachable tow bar and get one of those racks however this still prevents boot usage unlike the roof carriers.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    why without taking the wheels off? Your problem is that you bought a twat wagon instead of a nice boring sensible estate!
  • i've seen a guy get a bike into the back of a 3 series bmw (not sure of the year) by taking the wheels of, loosening the stem and taking forks off as well. sure it took him a bit longer to get his bike out and ready to ride, but he was safe in the knowledge that the white leather interior of his pride and joy wasn't going to get ruined and the bike wasn't going to fall off the roof doing 85 on the M6.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Roof bars ftw! But I've seen many 3series saloons at trail centres with bikes bring shoehorned in and out. You will find you are more likely to mark the edges of the boot though
  • Agree with Typerchris. A roofrack is the way to go. I bought one a couple of months ago and have no regrets. It takes next to no time to put the bike on or off and leaves the boot free for all the other gear that you have.

It may make your car look like something out of a horror film but who cares, its all about the biking anyway.
  • waughie
    waughie Posts: 180
    I can get a bike in the back of an IS200 with only the wheels and seat removed so it may be possible!
  • andrewyzfr6
    andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
    To anyone who's not had an E46 (3 series from 1998-2005) saloon the majority of them dont have back seats which can fold down. I had 3 of them, and I always put the bike in the boot easily with the wheels and saddle off, with the aid of an old sheet to stop things getting damaged, and it always worked, I had an E90(current shape saloon) later and did the same with it. When I had an E46 M3 coupe, and my current E92 335d coupe the back seats do go down in them soi just lower the saddle and remove the front wheel, or use my padded bike bag, which is very useful. If I remember correctly i used to put a bike in it and slide it across the rear seats on the E46 and put my mates bike in the boot.
    I dont understand why BMW dont put folding seats in their saloon 3's when they do on their tourings and coupe's. I wouldnt put my bike on the outside of the car whether it be on the boot or roof as i dont want them stollen!!!
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • Jeansy
    Jeansy Posts: 73
    On my e90 I remove backseat lower cushions, they just pull out. Then iirc two bolts, release clips and the whole back comes out. Bike goes in with front wheel off
  • vim147
    Typerchris wrote:
    I have a 2011 tourer and obviously can do it with mine I think you may struggle with the saloon though.

I was dubious about a roof mounted carrier but it is the best thing I have bought. Easy to fit and leaves the car free. Not sure about rear mounted racks for saloon but I know I couldn't get one due to the split opening boot.

You could always fit a detachable tow bar and get one of those racks however this still prevents boot usage unlike the roof carriers.

Am not that comfortable with driving and having roof bars.

Also i wouldnt feel secure leaving the bikes on the roof when ive stopped at a service station from it being nicked.

I dont mind taking the bikes apart if i can get it into the boot.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    A mate of mine in wales has a very clever bike rack on his tow bar, basically it's a little like a roof rack, you stick the wheels in the things, they strap on, then there's a big bar that you lift up and clamps onto the top tube which you can lock to stop the bike getting nicked. The rack also tilts backwards so you can access the boot. I've no idea what make/model it is but i can ask him?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    vim147 wrote:

Also i wouldnt feel secure leaving the bikes on the roof when ive stopped at a service station from it being nicked.

Where do you live? Bayroot :lol:

Roof bars are perfectly safe/secure (if they weren't do you think so many would have them?)

but in answer to your original Q you will have no problems. Just a few extra marks in the cars paint and a boot full of mud after every ride!
  • vim147
    vim147 wrote:

Where do you live? Bayroot :lol:

Roof bars are perfectly safe/secure (if they weren't do you think so many would have them?)

but in answer to your original Q you will have no problems. Just a few extra marks in the cars paint and a boot full of mud after every ride!

Am thinking of fitting 2 bikes in the boot, medium MTB and road bike.

If i can get my golf clubs and a overnight bag in there aswell, then its a bonus.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i think you'll struggle, but why not go try it?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Typerchris
    Typerchris Posts: 74
    Roof bars are secure. The foot pack is secured to car and bolts all covered with caps key locked on. Cycle carrier is key locked onto bars and bike is key locked onto carrier. It's very secure. You would have to find a very brave theif trying to smash them off in a services. Personally I find it mire secure than rear mounted. Obviously I wouldn't leave them on roof overnight etc but then again i wouldnt leave them inside the car overnight either.
  • vim147
    Typerchris wrote:
    Roof bars are secure. The foot pack is secured to car and bolts all covered with caps key locked on. Cycle carrier is key locked onto bars and bike is key locked onto carrier. It's very secure. You would have to find a very brave theif trying to smash them off in a services. Personally I find it mire secure than rear mounted. Obviously I wouldn't leave them on roof overnight etc but then again i wouldnt leave them inside the car overnight either.

How much are these roof racks?

Can't seem to find out exactly what I need for my car.
  • vim147 wrote:
    Typerchris wrote:

How much are these roof racks?

Can't seem to find out exactly what I need for my car.

go on the Thule website and theres a fitment guide...thule are expensive but their quality is brilliant! there are various websites doing cheaper roof racks etc.

i have a rear mount on my hatchback and id never ever go back to taking the bike apart and shoving it in a car.its just a frigging pain
    Cube Acid 2011
  • Vim - I've had a 3, 5 and now a one (missus). Only the 3 coupe and current version one came with with folding rear seats. Without this you're really really going to struggle.

BMW roof bars are cheaper than the equivalent Thule aero bars. These are the proper bolt into the roof ones. Not the generic clamp onto the door opening rubber ones.

Once you have the bars then get some roof carries. You dont need to spend on the bmw carriers. Thule ones work fine - but you need an optional adapter / bolt to fit the wider gap in the aero bars. I suspect that the bmw bars are actually made by thule - they are so similar - just with a different gap.

Hope that helps. Also we've used the bikes on the roof for years without issue. Till we got a towbar carrier and that's the absolute best way of carrying more than one bike (ime).

BTW You will loose one or two mpg. And just be careful with multistorey car parks etc.
  • vim147
    Vim - I've had a 3, 5 and now a one (missus). Only the 3 coupe and current version one came with with folding rear seats. Without this you're really really going to struggle.

BMW roof bars are cheaper than the equivalent Thule aero bars. These are the proper bolt into the roof ones. Not the generic clamp onto the door opening rubber ones.

Once you have the bars then get some roof carries. You dont need to spend on the bmw carriers. Thule ones work fine - but you need an optional adapter / bolt to fit the wider gap in the aero bars. I suspect that the bmw bars are actually made by thule - they are so similar - just with a different gap.

Hope that helps. Also we've used the bikes on the roof for years without issue. Till we got a towbar carrier and that's the absolute best way of carrying more than one bike (ime).

BTW You will loose one or two mpg. And just be careful with multistorey car parks etc.

Are rear racks available for the 3 series? Lockable?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I dont understand why BMW dont put folding seats in their saloon 3's when they do on their tourings and coupe's.

Agreed. It seems to be an option in some markets but not others. I used to have a coupe and now run a touring, no probs getting bikes in those.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Why don't you do a trial run. Then you'll have a better idea.

Roof racks are secure but if someone really wants your bike they might rip the locked bar apart. That happened to someone on here. I use another 'gold' lock to the roof rails. That's only useful if you have rails though.
    Barring that, sell your car and get a more sensible estate or somehtingelse with more room.
    Good luck with the puzzle work.
    Many happy trails!
  • vim147
    timpop wrote:
    Why don't you do a trial run. Then you'll have a better idea.

Roof racks are secure but if someone really wants your bike they might rip the locked bar apart. That happened to someone on here. I use another 'gold' lock to the roof rails. That's only useful if you have rails though.
    Barring that, sell your car and get a more sensible estate or somehtingelse with more room.
    Good luck with the puzzle work.

The boot space of the E46 is 37" depth, 17" height, 30" & 50" width as it tapers
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    .....Which means?.....
  • vim147
    Fenred wrote:
    .....Which means?.....

Thought someone might Wanna measure their bike to see if it'd fit without the wheels.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why? Measure your own.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    vim147 wrote:
    Fenred wrote:
    .....Which means?.....

Thought someone might Wanna measure their bike to see if it'd fit without the wheels.

Oh I see.

I've got an E46 and TBH I've never tried to squeeze any of my bikes into the poxy little boot aperture....dont even think my daughters bmx would fit in there, wheels, bars, seatpost off etc.

Unless its a tourer or maybe a coupe you're fooked! {But you dont buy these cars for their practicality :shock: )

For me, roof bars or boot carrier are the only solution....Unless you're a cycle contortionist :lol:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Have you thought about a handirack (inflatable roof rack) and handiholdall , I've been umming and arhing about getting one for the SL for the odd occasions when I need to transport stuff without the family bus. The roof box bag is big enough to get wheels in just (29") and you could always strap the frame on top.
    HandiHoldall%203-Door%281%29.jpg
  • cooldad
    Handirack are a client of mine. Excellent product, just remember it's intended to be a temporary solution - fit it, use it, take it off. Because it sits directly on the roof you shouldn't drive around with it all the time like you can with roof bars, and you need to make sure the roof is clean or you can get scratches if it's covered in gunk.
    All in the instructions, but some people can't read.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • snowden_88
    snowden_88 Posts: 174
    I have a mazda 3 s hatchback and can get my bike in the back without removing anything.

Hope this helps
    "it's like a gift, you know? It's like I can't control it"
  • l0key
    l0key Posts: 25
    just buy an old e28 7 series, plenty of space for 2 full bouncers on the rear seats with wheels and kit safely locked in the boot.

as an added bonus, when you do catch a chainring on the rear leather, you can not give a f**k as the car cost you pittance in the first place.
  • cooldad
    This thread needs to move to crudcatcher. Can't really believe two pages on putting a bike in a boot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools