Meltdown!

richVSrich
richVSrich Posts: 527
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
on the way home traffic was in meltdown... embankment westbound is dead, and battersea bridge, all the way up to clapham junction...

was caused by this:
A3205 York Road Wandsworth, both ways between A217 Swandon Way and Plough Road
A3205 London - A3205 York Road in Wandsworth closed and delays in both directions between Wandsworth Roundabout and the Plough Road junction, because of an accident and dangerous structure. Congestion to the A3220 Albert Bridge Road Westbound junction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/londoncentral/

god knows how long it would take in car!

the york road has been closed all day...and i cant imagine itll be fixed by tomorrow!

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Yeah, properly messed up both this morning and this evening. I was very glad for the shared use path by the river on Embankment. Generally its much safer than trying to filter in the traffic.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • richVSrich
    that section of york road is still closed this morning...

expect the same traffic chaos again later...i havent seen the actual building / scaffolding, but i can imagine it taking a while to sort out / make safe - anyone seen it?

BBC at 8:25am
    A3205
    A3205 York Road Battersea, westbound between A3207 Falcon Road and A217 Swandon Way
    A3205 London - A3205 York Road in Battersea closed westbound between the A3207 Falcon Road junction and Wandsworth Roundabout, because of collapsed scaffolding. Diversion in operation - affecting bus routes 44, 295, C3 and N44.

the traffic camera system is actually pretty good gauging traffic along your routes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/london/trafficcameras/
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Now THAT'S scary! Is it always that bad??? :shock:

I'm whinging about 1 set of temporary traffic lights on the outskirts of my village holding me up for a couple minutes each way at the moment. It's the biggest disruption I've faced on a commute!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • richVSrich
    which one you looking at KB? it does get pretty hectic, though the blue cycle lanes do help massively i think to keep a clear path for cyclists...but its why i try to come in early and leave early (ish) :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    just looking at the map and picking the live incidents then seeing 79 of 'em.

It really is a completely different commute when you're in the countryside.

We should create a new TV series where country commuters spend a week in London and the City commuters spend a week in the country

We could call it Bikeswap! :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    Now on missionary work in Lincolnshire, but lived on the South Coast and commuted in London. Imagine the wry smile on my face when some of the local lads were talking about a crossroads around here, "gets well jammed on a Friday night".........................Three tractors!

I don't envy you guys at all
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    We should create a new TV series where country commuters spend a week in London and the City commuters spend a week in the country

Well I can see the appeal for the city folk but whats in it for us yokels. :D

Mike
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcovered wrote:

Mike

Nothing, but it'll be the part of the show where you see some terrified country cyclist finding a patch of grass or a tree and hugging it for comfort while crying "I'll never leave you AGAIN" - makes for great TV :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    richVSrich wrote:
    i havent seen the actual building / scaffolding, but i can imagine it taking a while to sort out / make safe - anyone seen it?

Yep...I've gone past it the last couple of days (it's still closed this morning). The accident that was mentioned at Wandsworth roundabout was a simple shunt with people not paying attention to the road and failing to see the Road Closed signs up at the roundabout exit.

It's this building that is the problem. The scaffolding around it collapsed early on Monday morning (must have been a hell of a noise!) - they've now got it all back up against the house, albeit haphazardly, and have concrete blocks in the carraigeway to divert cars around the danger zone as and when the road opens again.

It was looking pretty stable this morning so would have thought they'd open it all up again by the time Wednesday rolls round. The roads are gridlocked thanks to it though, shows how important one arterial road can be to London's transport system...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • richVSrich
    lastant wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:
    i havent seen the actual building / scaffolding, but i can imagine it taking a while to sort out / make safe - anyone seen it?

Yep...I've gone past it the last couple of days (it's still closed this morning). The accident that was mentioned at Wandsworth roundabout was a simple shunt with people not paying attention to the road and failing to see the Road Closed signs up at the roundabout exit.

It's this building that is the problem. The scaffolding around it collapsed early on Monday morning (must have been a hell of a noise!) - they've now got it all back up against the house, albeit haphazardly, and have concrete blocks in the carraigeway to divert cars around the danger zone as and when the road opens again.

It was looking pretty stable this morning so would have thought they'd open it all up again by the time Wednesday rolls round. The roads are gridlocked thanks to it though, shows how important one arterial road can be to London's transport system...

That interiors shop?

should be clearing soon *hopefully* :
    A3205
    A3205 York Road Battersea, eastbound between Wynter Street and Chatfield Road
    A3205 London - One lane closed on A3205 York Road eastbound in Battersea between the Wynter Street junction and the Chatfield Road junction, because of emergency repairs and collapsed scaffolding.
    Updated 1 hour ago

but i couldnt believe how much chaos just closing one section of road caused...
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    richVSrich wrote:
    That interiors shop?

Sorry, no...the building to the left of that (the white and beige-y one).

Scaffolding's a mess on it now - should have 'papped' it really...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    whole of chelsea and fulham had also gone to pot, I was taking three colleagues to the RP for a ride and they assumed it was the normal level of trafic I commuted in!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I quite like riding in traffic, should I seek help?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mudcovered wrote:

Mike

A massive hit of adrenaline!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Kieran_Burns
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mudcovered wrote:

Mike

the brown variety, right?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mudcovered wrote:

Mike

the brown variety, right?

KB admits it!
    Londoners are double hard bastards and yokels need a dose of MTFU!

• Kieran_Burns
    Pah.

You'd freak out as soon as you got out into the countryside and saw this thing called the 'horizon'.

You'd wonder why the buildings are brown with green things on top and why are they swaying?

Why the car horns sound different... Moooo.... Baaaa... and Neigh

Why the pavements are spiky and painted green

Why the roads sometimes go 'up' and 'down' and are they always this long? I can see SO much of them!

Why there are no traffic lights at EVERY junction?

How come some many people seem to know you.... they 'smile' and 'wave' and say things like "Good morning"

and the first time a car went past at over 30mph you'd throw yourself off your bike onto the green spiky path crying in abject terror at the screaming demon
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • EKE_38BPM
    Londoners are at a constant state of high alert and expect the unexpected so would take all the countryside could throw at us, laugh and jack a farmer for his tractor.
    Yokels on the other hand would spook like a highly strung horse at every emergency vehicle's siren, boy racer playing drum 'n' bass from a car stereo worth more than the car its in or little bit of gun play.

Yokels. Wusses, the lot of ya!!!