First Crash, give up racing ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Well, now we seem to be having a bit of fabulous weather, I cannot go out due to crashing last Thursday (23 June).

I have a partially dislocated shoulder. 5 stitches in my left hand. 4 stitches in my left elbow. Large road rash on my left shoulder and I think my left hand is broken, find out later when I go to my local Doc's. Went down at 34 mph (not my fault, blokes dominoed into me) and then had 2 or 3 riders clang into me.

Quite a large haul from my first crash, off work, wife not happy. She has intimated that I should just test myself on Sportives from now on, but I don't think my pride/machismo will let me stop racing as I seem to be doing alright at it.

What would you do ?

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    dmclite wrote:
    Well, now we seem to be having a bit of fabulous weather, I cannot go out due to crashing last Thursday (23 June).

I have a partially dislocated shoulder. 5 stitches in my left hand. 4 stitches in my left elbow. Large road rash on my left shoulder and I think my left hand is broken, find out later when I go to my local Doc's. Went down at 34 mph (not my fault, blokes dominoed into me) and then had 2 or 3 riders clang into me.

Quite a large haul from my first crash, off work, wife not happy. She has intimated that I should just test myself on Sportives from now on, but I don't think my pride/machismo will let me stop racing as I seem to be doing alright at it.

What would you do ?
    Get a new wife ?

Sounds a bad one !! But as it wasn't your fault, I'd keep racing. Your wife is obviously concerned, but this is probably just a 'knee jerk' reaction to you injuries. She'll come round :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Anonymous
    MattC59 wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

What would you do ?
    Get a new wife ?

Can't get a new wife, for undisclosable reasons. Suffice to say she is very accomodating in certain aspects of our wonderful life together. And she drinks pints when out. :wink:

Sounds a bad one !! But as it wasn't your fault, I'd keep racing. Your wife is obviously concerned, but this is probably just a 'knee jerk' reaction to you injuries. She'll come round :D
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Give up. As you say wifey isn't happy and what about work?

I cannot believe the amount of crashes in racing these days resulting in really serious injuries. I know in my club a few members have crashed resulting in serious injuries and written off bikes.

Look at Nap's woe.

Standard of riding these days especially in cat3/4 leave a hell of lot to be desired.

As much as I would love to give racing a go I have a family to think of.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    edited June 2011
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Standard of riding these days especially in cat3/4 leave a hell of lot to be desired.

Have I got this right - you are being critical of the standard of riding in 3/4 events, but you have never actually raced..?
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    If you like something, and it doesn't hurt anyone else, keep on doing it.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Don't give up. Get sly mileage on, go back and crush them like dogs.

Wifey dearest will come around to it again - don't worry about it.

Ignore people who say give up. You'll only regret it if you do.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Try another form of racing :wink:

Anyhow probably a slight over reaction, say you had a big car accident that wasn't your fault, and it resulted in multiple fratures, would you comtemplate giving up driving? I doubt it.

Not all races have crashes in, but undoubtably if you crash on a bike, it is going to hurt a certain amount. I crashed at about 25 mph on my own over the winter, when I hit something in the road in the dark, luckily no breaks but it does knock you for 6. I enjoy riding my bike, and although I was a little wary for a couple of weeks after the crash, I ride my bike just as fast now. Just got to get better lights for winter.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Obviously I assume the wifes prime concern is your safety but does it also not depend on your employer? I get pay while off sick but we are always reminded it's discretionary so if someone was off repeatedly due to injuries sustained for a hobby it would probably be withdrawn. I don't know, everyones situation must be unique but you best discuss it with the wife. It's all very well saying chase the dream etc but sometimes you have to be a little pragmatic.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Grow up, man. You have responsibilities and bike racing doesn't pay the bills, it's just for fun and there are plenty of other, less-risky ways to have fun with bikes.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    snailracer wrote:
    Grow up, man. You have responsibilities and bike racing doesn't pay the bills, it's just for fun and there are plenty of other, less-risky ways to have fun with bikes.

Like this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 095134.stm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Sorry to hear about this, matey. Two 'Cake Stoppers' down and badly injured in quick succession. Not good!.

You can only weigh up the pros and cons and make an informed decision yourself really, but Mrs dmclite won't be "very accomodating in certain aspects of our wonderful life together" next time :wink: and you'll probably be wearing that pint she likes. Don't suppose work will be too happy either. It's not the end of the world if you stop, is it? You can still cycle on club runs etc and maybe take up TT'ing to push yourself.

You didn't do this on purpose so you don't have to meet Frank, did you?? :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    snailracer wrote:

Nay, nay and thrice nay.

Carpe diem my son, carpe diem.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    daviesee wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

Like this?

I believe the bike cannot be named for legal reasons, but have heard that it is seeking financial compensation and has also applied for a super-injunction. :lol:
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Aggieboy wrote:
    You can still cycle on club runs etc and maybe take up TT'ing to push yourself.

I'm not convinced that time trialling is the 'safe' option that everyone here is suggesting. I think there have been more serious injuries and fatalities in TTs than there have ever been in club road racing....
  • snailracer
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Have I got this right - you are being critical of the standard of riding in 3/4 events, but you have never actually raced..?
    Crashing seems quite common, even in the TdF.
  • snailracer
    daviesee wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

Like this?

That's not safe, something might get tangled up in the chain.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    daviesee wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

Like this?

wonder what (chain) lube he used?
  • tobciocc
    tobciocc Posts: 276
    Don't stop just coz of one crash, it's an unpleasant part of the sport but a life without risk is pretty dull. I've raced for 10 years and yes there are crashes, but not loads and very few serious injuries.
    Gabba Gabba Hey
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Talk it through. Seriously. When I was in an accident I just brushed it off as one of those things then as the list of injuries grew I started to replay it all, trying to see where the faut happened. Truth is its no ones fault its an accident, so for your own peace of mind have a natter with your wife or you mates, laugh about it, put it in perspective and tick it off as a point on the learning curve.

Have a look at napd's experience in the amateur race section, seems he's going through the same process of feeling angry at events over which he had no control.

I wouldnt give up the racing, if anything you'll come back a wiser rider, luck was clearly on your side, it could have been so much worse.

Anyway its a perfect excuse to sit idle for the 3weeks of the TDF......unless you were planning to do that nyway. :)

Hope the healing goes well.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Anonymous
    I realise there is an element of risk in everything and that is part of the enjoyment of racing. I won't give up and Mrs Dmclite will be placated as she knows cycling is my thing, ie I don't go to the pub/golf/lads weekends etc (cos I don't have any mates...)

As for snailracer saying "grow up", if you look at the OP, the question was , what would you do ?, not what should I do ?

Anyway, got 2 weeks sicknote from my GP so I will be on here prolifically, trolling like mad. :D [/i][/u]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    dmclite wrote:

Anyway, got 2 weeks sicknote from my GP so I will be on here prolifically, trolling like mad. :D [/i][/u]

Look forward to it. :wink:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I used to feel far safer in a road race bunch than I ever did on a sportive. That's the event that attracts the real idiots who don't have a clue about riding in a group.

As has been said, the most dangerous form of racing in this country are TTs, at least in terms of fatal accidents. Lost skin and the odd broken bone are the worst you can generally expect in a road race, trophies to be worn with pride.

Let's face it, if it was too easy any fool could do it.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    everyone crashes, its just one of those things, and you have to hope yours isnt a particularly bad one. i'd be more worried about the bike, have you got insurance on it? i'd be more terrified of wrecking my pride and joy more than hurting myself!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Bollocks to your injuries, do you now need a new bike???? :D
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    dmclite wrote:
    I realise there is an element of risk in everything and that is part of the enjoyment of racing. I won't give up and Mrs Dmclite will be placated as she knows cycling is my thing, ie I don't go to the pub/golf/lads weekends etc (cos I don't have any mates...)

As for snailracer saying "grow up", if you look at the OP, the question was , what would you do ?, not what should I do ?

I do hope you recover quickly from your injuries, sounds like a nasty crash. I think the bottom line regarding racing, or any sport/ hobby that we take part in, is if it starts to affect your income. It's good that you have a sicknote, I assume that means you will be paid for those 2 weeks. However if you are self- employed it's a different matter. One of the reasons I gave up football, after some moron put me out of work for 3 weeks and cost me a lot of money. Hope Mrs Dmclite melllows and realises it's something you love to do, just as long as the lifestyle she has become accustomed to is not affected! Hope you are back on your bike soon.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    That's what I was trying to say Cornerblock, you made is sound better than I did. It's important not to give up the interests and hobbies that identify you but everyone's situation is different. I played a lot of football and knew a couple of lads who stopped for pretty much the same reasons as yourself and I also knew a few who gave up shortly after dating someone new because they were 'told' too and didn't have the balls to say no, now that was being daft in my opinion.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I know it's not the done thing but a lot of these injuries could be solved with very simple knee and elbow protection. I'd certainly wear decent gloves, mine have saved me from road rash twice. It's a cultural thing, you'd never see anyone else racing at these speeds with just a bit of lycra on. It's all very well being macho but it's no fun being off the bike for weeks.

I notice there's a full page ad in Cycling Plus for some kind of "protection system" you wear under your cycle gear to eliminate road rash on your shoulders and hips.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    That's what I was trying to say Cornerblock, you made is sound better than I did. It's important not to give up the interests and hobbies that identify you but everyone's situation is different. I played a lot of football and knew a couple of lads who stopped for pretty much the same reasons as yourself and I also knew a few who gave up shortly after dating someone new because they were 'told' too and didn't have the balls to say no, now that was being daft in my opinion.

I think being 'told' to give up something would have the opposite effect on me. Especially by a new partner, would be a case of ' see ya'. We all live for the things in life that make it enjoyable, but the reality is the bills have to be paid and if something prevents the 'bacon' coming in, well decisions need to be made.
  • snailracer
    dmclite wrote:
    What would I do? I'd tell you to grow up :P

Anyway, get well soon.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    dmclite wrote:
    What would you do ?

I'd keep going until I decided that any risks outweighted the gains, then I'd stop. Only you will know, and you'll probably only know after a few weeks off the bike.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.